Worst contract this UFA period

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which contract was the worst one handed out this period?

• Total voters

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Skinner. One dimensional winger who when he isn't succeeding in that one dimension is pretty useless. He actually got more money than Bobrovsky and another year too.

Last edited:

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Win a couple more Vezinas.

The new MO is that goalies are worth less, but that's because of inconsistency. When a goalie puts up a .930 and saves about 30-40 goals above average in one year, that makes him as valuable as the top forwards in the game.
He won't do that every year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Bobrovsky, by far. They signed a goaltender to a $10M deal that takes him through his like 31-37 year old seasons that are bound to be almost all decline, some of them steep decline. Just not the position to invest crazy cap in - especially not through those years noted for decline in most goaltenders.

It's like they took the fact they managed to weasel out of big penalties on Luongo's contract, and decided to reinvest that "savings" in a brand new catastrophic way too long term deal on a goaltender.

I don't really understand the Brandon Tanev deal at all, but it's ultimately still something you can kinda stomach, or even potentially get out of down the road if it comes to that. It's at least a million more than i would've wanted to pay on that player, especially with substantial term attached...but in the grand scheme of things, it's still small potatoes compared to that Bobrovsky sort of monster deal.

Reactions: I am not exposed

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Hayes. The guy isn't a game changer in the long term and I dont see him ever taking over a series. Nor does philly have a long term need for him. Awful awful deal.

I can easily see bob taking over a few series. Of course there are a lot of goalies that can do that, but I'd bet bob will do it more than most. Florida has a long term need for a goalie with knight 5 years away and other available goalies being pretty flawed. Also florida has a lot of cap rooming term. I hate paying that much for a goalie but those factors make it acceptable.

Lee deal sucks but he's a good captain and the isles need him. Better player than hayes.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Bobrovsky

as bad as the other contracts are 10 million a year is just way too much for a position as volatile as goaltender

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not a fan of the Tanev deal, but I doubt that ultimately ends up being the worst of these options when the other players are signed to contracts 2.5x to 3.5x larger in total dollars.

Reactions: biturbo19

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I don't think it's Tanev because buying him out in 2-3 years isn't a massive burden. If Hayes, Bob, Lee, or Skinner don't live up to their contracts (or at least close), it's a massive contract that sinks the entire team (like Lucic).

Last 3 years (per game):
Skinner: 0.416 goals / 0.720 points
Lee: 0.416 goals / 0.674 points
Hayes: 0.274 goals / 0.659 points

Last 3 years (per 82 games):
Skinner: 34 goals / 59 points
Lee: 34 goals / 55 points
Hayes: 22 goals / 54 points

Contract ages:
Skinner: 27-34
Lee: 29-35
Hayes: 27-33

Lee and Skinner are very similar in terms of expected production. Skinner had a career year in goals, so he got paid a bit more. Lee did the same thing 2yrs ago and is 2yrs older, but signed for 2.000 less per season, with 1 season less (term). I take Lee over Skinner for that reason. I also much prefer Hayes's contract ending at 33, before his production should take a big hit. I'm not a fan of a mid 30s Skinner making 9.000 with a past full of concussions. 9.000 is superstar money and I'm not convinced Skinner is worth much more than Hayes or Lee. Definitely not 2.000 more per season, with another year tacked on.

As for Bob... I think he's overpaid by about 2 million which is about the same as Skinner IMO. Bob will have a bigger impact, so I'd rather have him.

TL;DR... I vote Skinner

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
f733b4109f.png

Skinner is worth a lot more than Hayes and Lee

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Bobrovsky's was the most obviously stupid, especially considering Florida used a Top 15 pick on a goaltender.

I've maintained for a while that goalies are largely systematic and investing lots in them typically isn't wise.

i picked lee.

i'll reserve my judgment for at least two years to decide if bob's contract sucks. could turn out like rask or rinne or lunqvist. which i would be perfectly okay with.

first, using our pick on a tender has nothing to do with bob. you having said that tells me you speak without reading. there is a plan. it includes both bob and knight, acknowledged by ownership and both goalies. this information is publically available if you only search for it.

second, agreed that it is typically not wise to spend 10%+ or more on goaltending,. but does have potential to pay off. important to also consider that 3 of our top 5 scorers (barkov/hub/trocheck) are locked up for the next 3-4 years on great contracts. 2 top scorers for two years (dadonov/hoffman), also both on value contracts.

consider this:
  1. rinne's 7/7 contract was 10.9% of cap when signed. during that contract, he competed in 63 playoff games.
  2. rask signed in 2013-2014, 10.8% of cap. he played 54 playoff games and has two years left
  3. lundqvist was 13.2% in 13-14, he played 36 play off games
  4. price at 14% in 2018-2019, played no playoff games. uncoincidentally MTL traded off many of their best players and are in the process of retooling
seems to me those worked out fairly well. I would also place bob firmly in the same category of all these great goal tenders. did everyone shit on the rask, rinne and lundqvist contracts? they all brought their teams to the SCF. gotta get to the SCF to win it and all on this forum can agree that getting there means you belong there.

bob's contract? 12.3% of cap

:hmm:

of the past 6 SCF, the goalies above made 4 appearances. lower the cap % (day of signing) to 8.5% and that jumps to 8 appearances out of a possible 12.

one more thing to consider:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

goalies salaries sorted by cap hit % (bob's is wrong in the table, but he is still #2). most of those on the top of the list play for perennial playoff teams and some perennial contenders.

could we have paid lehner less? sure? would we know what we are getting? absolutely not. that's why he signed a two year deal. we aren't going to place a bet on our top 6's contracts. varlamov? sure, but he wasn't the best player available.

binnington was an aberration until proven otherwise. and we also aren't talking about throwing an unproven goalie into the fray because we have no other viable option. we are talking about signing the best player available. and we did.

just my observations

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bobrovsky, by far. They signed a goaltender to a $10M deal that takes him through his like 31-37 year old seasons that are bound to be almost all decline, some of them steep decline. Just not the position to invest crazy cap in - especially not through those years noted for decline in most goaltenders.

If you compare decline rates for the elite players at each position, the goalies actually hold up longer. Brodeur, Hasek, Thomas, and Rinne all won Vezinas in their 35 or 36 year old seasons.

It's not the best deal, but Bobrovsky has a better chance of being elite at age 35 than any of the skaters signed long term on Monday.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Bobrovsky. By a clear margin.

If Hayes becomes a steady 55-65 point player, the $7M will be a fair cap hit. Could be extremely ugly, but we will see.

Short of Bob winning a Vezina/Hart every season, he wont be worth the contract.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Literally 100%of this vote should be for Kevin Hayes, Philadelphia gave a guy who should be a 3rd line center 7+ million, there is no argument for anybody else it IS Kevin Hayes

Reactions: bigbabybuda

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
If you compare decline rates for the elite players at each position, the goalies actually hold up longer. Brodeur, Hasek, Thomas, and Rinne all won Vezinas in their 35 or 36 year old seasons.

It's not the best deal, but Bobrovsky has a better chance of being elite at age 35 than any of the skaters signed long term on Monday.
Just because 2/4 goalies that put up elite seasons in their old age also happen to be the best goaltenders ever doesn't mean it's likely to happen for other goalies.

MattMartin

Crypto Dbag™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Lee 100%. Every fan knew he was not the type of player you sign to term, and he got term and high dollars. And then all these reports are coming out saying that he was never not coming back. Then why did Lou have to overpay him so massively?

As usual, you are in the minority when it comes to sensibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad