Post-Game Talk: World Junior Championships 2020 in the Czech Republic: Canada Wins 2020 Gold

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who are your three podium teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

firestarter

Mar 11, 2019
Slovakia
Nice comeback for Canada and Sweden

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191226-220959.png
    Screenshot_20191226-220959.png
    189.4 KB · Views: 8

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
So watched the Canada US game. Great game to watch.
Veleno had a strong game. He was creating chances all game and on the PP. But the best part of his game was how physical and strong he was on the boards. If we could find a 2nd line center I think Veleno would fit in perfectly on the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit.

McIsaac also played a strong game. He was his usual self defensively. His offensive game continues to surprise me in a good way. He played like has hasn't missed a game all season. I have said this from the first time I saw him play after Detroit drafted him, he is the perfect partner for Hronek on the 2nd pairing some day.

Laf just completely dominated out there. He is more of a playmaker then a shooter but his passes were easily the best on the ice. He did score a beauty goal but again he passes a lot and seems to prefer it.

Byfield has some chances and I was impressed for his speed but other then that didn't really have an impact. To be fair Laf is a returning player and this was Byfields first game at a WJC. Hopefully next game he can be better and less nervous.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who's the comparable for Lafreniere? What mold is he in?
I keep thinking Huberdeau+... but what about Hossa?

More talented version of Tanguay... at least that’s the closest for me:

Not really any comp I have seen for him that I love apples to apples. He’s way stronger on the puck than Huberdeau was at the same age.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Not really any comp I have seen for him that I love apples to apples. He’s way stronger on the puck than Huberdeau was at the same age.

Alex Tanguay? That's a weird reference to me.
I've not yet thought of a comparable either. The Kournious scouting report reminds me a bit of Hossa.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

If Tanguay and Joe Thornton had a baby together, it could be Laf.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Solid game for Veleno. He really skates well, and one thing I'm quickly noticing with him is his ability to carry the puck at a high speed and keep control of it and then can set a play up. He looked really good out there.

Lafrenière is disgusting.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Alex Tanguay? That's a weird reference to me.
I've not yet thought of a comparable either. The Kournious scouting report reminds me a bit of Hossa.

Why is it weird? Tanguay was a winger that had great vision and was a very effective playmaker. Same size. Good but not great skater. Both Frenchies. Always thought he was a really good player. I think they have a decent amount in common, with Lafreniere having the potential to be a more gifted version.

I don’t think there is a great comp for Lafreniere, I feel like people pigeon hole prospects too much looking for comp’s a lot of time.

I think Hossa is a better skater and better athlete than Lafreniere. I thought he was a perfect comparison for Andrei Svechnikov.

Last edited:

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Veleno is a stud. Almost every decision he makes is spot on. Amazing in the face off circle, throws his body around. Set up quite a few tonight. Excellent zone entries. Don’t know how anyone can’t like him... would be kind of neat to see veleno play aside Lafreniere with a winged wheel on their jersey

I think a majority of people on this board like Veleno, I think the disconnect is when we get to what peoples expectations are for him. A few people on this board are already penciling him in as the Wings future 2nd line center behind Larks, I am not in that group. Granted I haven't watched any GRG games this season but from watching preseason games and this single WJC game (huge sample size I know) I'm just not seeing anything that would lead me to conclude he is going to become more than what his draft day comparable was, which was Lars Eller (the Capitals version). Basically a middle six tweener that with the tools they possess will always leave you wanting more, which isn't a bad player at all and he still has a lot of time to develop but I'm just not seeing the surefire top 6 center that others are seeing. He doesn't have any weakness's but I'm not really seeing anything that's standing out as an elite skill.

Thought McIsaac had a pretty good game for playing just 3 games this season. Looking forward to see how he does for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: hkydave04

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013
Would never happen but....

How high would mantha,AA and our 2nd(32) move us in the draft? Top 5? Could mantha alone get top 10? If so I’d do that and draft Drysdale

In 2 years

Laf-Veleno-Zadina
Bertuzzi- Larkin - Fabbri
Bergren-Ras-Svech

drysdale-Seider
Mcissac-Hronek
Chowlowski-Dekeyser

still need a goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad