World Cup Boycott

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
2 weeks every 4 weeks does sound pretty unbearable to me.

Touché. My editing could have been better. :laugh:

I corrected the mistake now. :)

PS: thank you for the compliments, Danish and German friends.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Eh, I don't. Because 1) I don't see the IOC compensating ANY other league either... So it's either everybody or nobody... 2) the players are under contract to train + play 82 games + playoffs + eventually pre season games for their NHL clubs, everything else is not something that should be regulated by the NHL unless it DIRECTLY goes against the obligations the players have... it's not slavery... 3) international hockey is about the sport itself, about its growth world wide... Squabbling between a regional league and the highest authority for that competition can only be negative in that regard. Makes everyone involved lose credibility.

Lastly... 2 weeks every 4 years... That's the effort required from the NHL. It's not like asking them to carve their own hearts out and offering them to the IOC. If stopping business 2 weeks every 4 years is that unbearable, I would like to hear the explanation why they don't lose any sleep about shutting down the league for extended periods of time during lock outs, including an entire season. Making an analogy, it's like someone crying foul in disgust and outrage at being scratched by a finger nail (= two weeks stoppage every four years, with no loss of games) and then turning around and shooting someone in the head (= cancelling an entire season at a time. FYI, in a given season 1,230 games are played. Since 1994 they cancelled 1 season fully and had two seasons roughly half cancelled. That makes it over 2 THOUSAND games down the drain...). It doesn't make sense to me.

One of the current key issues with NHL players in the Olympics is who is will pay the fees to insure the players' NHL contracts against injury in the Olympics? As you point out, an NHL contract only covers the player in the NHL. If the player is injured outside the duties of their NHL contract then their NHL team would not be obligated to pay the player during that injury.

The IOC paid those fees in recent Olympics but has said they won't do so for the upcoming games. The insurance cost is estimated to be around $10m for the upcoming Olympics. The NHL is not going to go on break and pay the insurance fees if they don't feel they're getting enough value. Some players might be willing to insure their own contracts, but are the elite players going to spend $200k+ to insure their large contracts to attend the Olympics?

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
One of the current key issues with NHL players in the Olympics is who is will pay the fees to insure the players' NHL contracts against injury in the Olympics? As you point out, an NHL contract only covers the player in the NHL. If the player is injured outside the duties of their NHL contract then their NHL team would not be obligated to pay the player during that injury.

The IOC paid those fees in recent Olympics but has said they won't do so for the upcoming games. The insurance cost is estimated to be around $10m for the upcoming Olympics. The NHL is not going to go on break and pay the insurance fees if they don't feel they're getting enough value. Some players might be willing to insure their own contracts, but are the elite players going to spend $200k+ to insure their large contracts to attend the Olympics?

National federations (at least some of them) could pick up the insurance costs. Of course for teams like Canada, the bill would obviously be quite hefty, but for example I could see the Finnish Ice Hockey Federation being able to pay the insurance costs needed to get the best team possible.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

That's a relatively tough nut.

Probably national federations could feasibly help with that. Maybe external sponsors could kick in (just brainstorming, something maybe stupid: Omega is the official timekeeping and one of the sponsors of the Olympics... They're part of the Swatch group, probably the largest conglomerate for watch production. A big $$$ corporation. I am sure there must be others like them already being sponsor of the OG). Like you said some players would maybe lend a hand for their own insurance.

All in all, seeing that the Sochi olympics cost in total some $51 BILLION and $10 million is 0.02% of that, I think there must be a way to account for that (= pay...) in the budget.

To be perfectly honest, I think the $10m is just a pretext. At the end of the day, I feel that it is a political issue. This is the NHL and IOC jousting for supremacy.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Finnish reporters predict close to 3 million would have watched the Russia-Finland semi final in Finland.

As per reporter TSN Darren Dreger.

Close to an entire country will be watching the final today.

Just like Czechs, Russians, Slovaks, and other Europeans do when their country plays in real international tournaments when meaningful games occur, they all come together and watch together.

No even knows this cash grab exists in those countries that are glued to support their nation today in Finland and the other countries that compete each year through this tournament.

See what meaningful games mean to people? See the passion of Hungary that made front news across that country as well.

Where is the tournament relevant?

In Canada?

Most people across this country are laughing at it, certainly in Quebec knowing what the nhl is after. And majority of the population I would bet doesn't even know it's on since the prime focus is on the Rio Olympics for major sporting events right now.

In America?

I don't even know if every day Americans know international tournaments exist outside Olympics.

In europe?

No as we know.

In Asia?

Don't think so.

In Africa, Australia?

Doesn't seem likely.

It's irrevelant everywhere.

The point of an international event is to gather the World's eyes like the IIHF World Championship does, with nearly 500 million people tuning in each-year perhaps more, and this cash grab won't even grab the eyes of people in Canada let alone the World.

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Just one addition, High ratings of WHC in czech are also due to tradition. This tourney has been in May for I dont know how long. So since May starts hockey is comming. Its like notorious event in your life, christmas, WHCs, elections. You know its gonna happen. So even all women and fans who dont follow hockey know its comming and when we are succesfull they enjoy to watch it just for joy and to have a good time to celebrate. I dont think there was same hype in 2004 WC, even if it was great tourney and we played well. Its simply too far and its more just for hockey enthusiasts, not for general audience. Even better format of 2016 wouldnt change so much imo.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Finnish reporters predict close to 3 million would have watched the Russia-Finland semi final in Finland.

Just like Czechs, Russians, Slovaks, and other Europeans do when their country plays in real international tournaments when meaningful games occur, they all come together and watch together.

No even knows this cash grab exists in those countries that are glued to support their nation today in Finland and the other countries that compete each year through this tournament.

See what meaningful games mean to people? See the passion of Hungary that made front news across that country as well.

In Canada?

Most people across this country are laughing at it, certainly in Quebec knowing what the nhl is after. And majority of the population I would bet doesn't even know it's on since the prime focus is on the Rio Olympics for major sporting events right now.

In America?

I don't even know if every day Americans know international tournaments exist outside Olympics.

In europe?

No as we know.

In Asia?

Don't think so.

In Africa, Australia?

Doesn't seem likely.

The point of an international event is to gather the World's eyes like the IIHF World Championship does, with nearly 500 million people tuning in each-year perhaps more, and this cash grab won't even grab the eyes of people in Canada let alone the World.

The Finns will watch and cheer for their World Cup team. Anecdotally the ones I've talked to don't understand what the hell is going on with team nonsense and team Europe. It doesn't really affect their team so they will still watch.

American numbers will only be better than the world championships because of the time zone change.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

In Canada?

In America?

In europe?

No as we know.

In Asia?

Don't think so.

In Africa, Australia?

Doesn't seem likely.

More. Much more: in 2015, more than 1 BILLION.

http://www.infrontsports.com/news/2...-all-previous-audience-and-spectator-records/

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Even if it's first try has poorer ratings than the world championships it's best on best so I'll find it more interesting. I like the gimmick teams tho too.

Everyone always says canada could send 3 teams to the Olympics the young stars team helps that and gives alot of guys an opportunity to play nationally for Canada they would never get other than world juniors or world championships.

The Olympics is the only other event that attracts all the truly elite players. The world's is missing lots of guys for obvious reasons. (Playoffs /guys would rather have time off cuz alot of North American players don't think it's that big of a deal)

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
a World Cup with no promotion, no one telling people from Russia, Finland, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Latvia, Slovakia to come visit and celebrate the sport.

When I watch playoff games here in Finland, I can see the same TV ad for World Cup numerous times every game. "The name on the back doesn't matter, cause it's all about the crest on the front. World Cup of Hockey 2016, tickets available now." You certainly can't say nobody's told Finnish NHL followers about this tournament.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
The Finns will watch and cheer for their World Cup team.

Over 2 million Finns watched the final against Canada yesterday. I'd be surprised if there are 300,000 watching Finland's World Cup games. They're on pay TV unlike the IIHF Worlds games.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The Finns will watch and cheer for their World Cup team. Anecdotally the ones I've talked to don't understand what the hell is going on with team nonsense and team Europe. It doesn't really affect their team so they will still watch.

American numbers will only be better than the world championships because of the time zone change.

Nope.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
And, how do you know this? If all the best Finns are playing for Team Finland, why would Finns not watch?

Even if Finns were okay with the joke teams and the preseason feel the tournament has, the tournament will be broadcast on a pay channel like other NHL events.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
World Cup is being played when Europeans are sleeping. Like this year we are getting annihilated because we lack defensemen.

matzz

Dec 28, 2013
Finland
So, what anthem will they play when Team Europe Win a game, or the American team win...Will they make some new anthem just for these games ? =)

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
My understanding is that since it is an NHL sanctioned event and not an IIHF sanctioned event, there is no plan to play ANY of the country anthems regardless of who wins.

If one of the big six win, they won't be playing that country's anthem.

One of the reasons, for me at least, it takes some of the shine off of this event.

But, as some others have stated, there isn't an anthem for Team Europe or the North American young stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad