Worcester Sharks News & Discussion V

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
That's a smooth goal. I don't see many other AHL rosters but could Worcester possibly boast one of, if not, the strongest lineup? Of course assuming certain players are sent down after the NHL season.

Just as an FYI, the only NHL guys that can go down are Goodrow, Tierney, and Mueller. This isn't including the emergency call-ups like Fedun, Stollery, and Lerg.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Just as an FYI, the only NHL guys that can go down are Goodrow, Tierney, and Mueller. This isn't including the emergency call-ups like Fedun, Stollery, and Lerg.

I think all of them should be sent down Saturday after the LA game. There is no reason not to give these guys continued action and a professional playoff experience. Also half those guys on the AHL Sharks will never wear an NHL jersey so who cares if you bump them out of the lineup. Tierney, Mueller, Goodrow, Fedun would all make Worcester a much better team. Winning is contagious, let's let these guys experience it down there. I wish Hertl could be sent down too, but I know that's out of the question. Can Karlsson be sent down?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Carpenter has gotten better and better as the season has gone on.

I'm still impressed with Ryan and really hope he's not the one to come out of the line up once Fedun is returned to Worcester.

It looked to me like after a great first game Goldobin was just soso, still noticeable at times in the offensive zone but the off the puck / defensive issues are still pretty apparent. That said, hopefully Sommer does the logical thing next week when Tierney is back and skates him between Goldobin & Tarasov...I like McCarthy as an AHLer but Tierney is just at a whole other level skillwise and I think he and Goldobin could be great together.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
That's a smooth goal. I don't see many other AHL rosters but could Worcester possibly boast one of, if not, the strongest lineup? Of course assuming certain players are sent down after the NHL season.

Mueller was not on AHL roster 3/2, so cannot be sent down to play in playoffs, AIUI. He may be playing in World Championships.

(He was on the ice in full gear yesterday.)

(Same thing with Hertl and Melker)

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Mueller was not on AHL roster 3/2, so cannot be sent down to play in playoffs, AIUI. He may be playing in World Championships.

(He was on the ice in full gear yesterday.)

(Same thing with Hertl and Melker)

Goldy wasn't on the roster either on 3/2 so why is he allowed to play? Karlsson was on the team in the first half of the season, I'd think he is eligible.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Goldy wasn't on the roster either on 3/2 so why is he allowed to play? Karlsson was on the team in the first half of the season, I'd think he is eligible.

Goldobin came over from a European team.

In order for a NHL player to be eligible for the AHL playoffs they had to be on the AHL roster at the NHL TDL so Karlsson is not eligible (and this is why they put Tierney & Goodrow through those "paper" transactions".

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Has there been any word on Jevpalovs or Sadowy joining Worcester?

I've heard some whispers regarding Jevpalovs but with Tierney & Lerg re-joining the team next week (and Goodrow on his way now) I wouldn't be too surprised if not many more forwards are assigned there and if they are they'll be hard pressed to find some playing time.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I've heard some whispers regarding Jevpalovs but with Tierney & Lerg re-joining the team next week (and Goodrow on his way now) I wouldn't be too surprised if not many more forwards are assigned there and if they are they'll be hard pressed to find some playing time.

Cool, thanks.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Whats the story with Dell? I've never seen him play but was looking at his stats and they're probably the best I've ever seen a Woo-Sharks goalie have in the past 5-6 years. Does he have an NHL future? Is he signed to the NHL sharks or just the AHL Sharks? He is blowing away Grosenick and Anderson's numbers this season with the same lineup which says something.

He's a very solid goaltender that had a good mix of technical skills and athletic ability. He started he season on an AHL deal (and in the ECHL to boot) but played his way into an NHL deal. He'll be a RFA at the end of the season.

As for Dell making the NHL, I will once again quote one of the best things Roy Sommer has ever said: "Goalies are goalies, who the (expletive) knows what one is going to turn into until he does".

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

He, ummm, *might* have a jersey hanging up in the equipment room... :wg:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
He, ummm, *might* have a jersey hanging up in the equipment room... :wg:

He'll be an interesting one to watch once he joins the team as he can play all 3 forward positions and in all situations.

Adding two highly skilled guys who should excel in top 6 roles for the stretch run and the playoffs will be awesome for Worcester.

Also, as we already chatted about, getting Goodrow should also give Sommer some options in the bottom 6 (or more likely on the 4th line).

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
He'll be an interesting one to watch once he joins the team as he can play all 3 forward positions and in all situations.

Adding two highly skilled guys who should excel in top 6 roles for the stretch run and the playoffs will be awesome for Worcester.

Also, as we already chatted about, getting Goodrow should also give Sommer some options in the bottom 6 (or more likely on the 4th line).

Is Goodrow really going to drop down to the 4th line in Worcester, that seems a bit pathetic considering he was a 4th liner in the NHL.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
That's going to ruin his confidence and I imagine Wilson will ask Sommer to play him in the top6.

I have little doubt that DW will tell Sommer to play Goodrow but I doubt he'd tell him where to play him, Goodrow doesn't belong in the top 6 in Worcester (and I'd find it pretty easy to argue that he doesn't belong in their top 9 starting next week).

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I have little doubt that DW will tell Sommer to play Goodrow but I doubt he'd tell him where to play him, Goodrow doesn't belong in the top 6 in Worcester (and I'd find it pretty easy to argue that he doesn't belong in their top 9 starting next week).

So who are these 9 forwards that are better or more suited for top 9 roles? How many of them have futures with the Sharks. If they don't have futures, the Sharks should be forcing them to play "our" players more. The AHL sharks serve as a training ground for the NHL team and while we want them to win, we mostly want them to develop our players. Who cares if some of these "better" players are getting minutes if they don't have a future with the Sharks.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
So who are these 9 forwards that are better or more suited for top 9 roles? How many of them have futures with the Sharks. If they don't have futures, the Sharks should be forcing them to play "our" players more. The AHL sharks serve as a training ground for the NHL team and while we want them to win, we mostly want them to develop our players. Who cares if some of these "better" players are getting minutes if they don't have a future with the Sharks.

Well, considering the org shipped Abeltshauser off to the ECHL so that Taormina, Young & Stollery (when he's there), none of which have a future in SJ, could play I don't think the org sees things quite the way you do.

Sommer tends to roll his lines pretty evenly and unlike SJ Worcesters 4th line is quite good so Goodrow will be getting plenty of ice time regardless of what line he's playing on.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I will be at the game Saturday to cheer on Goldobin and "Boo" the Red Sox World Series trophys. Question is do I wear a Hertl, Pavelski or Couture jersey? I also have Burns but he never played in Worcester.

I'd probably lean towards Couture.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I will be at the game Saturday to cheer on Goldobin and "Boo" the Red Sox World Series trophys. Question is do I wear a Hertl, Pavelski or Couture jersey? I also have Burns but he never played in Worcester.

I'd probably lean towards Couture.

Couture for sure. :laugh:

I might be wearing my Worcester Game Worn Nieto jersey on Saturday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad