WJC Group A: Dec 31 GDT - Canada vs. USA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaskaSens

Dec 17, 2005
Americans played a great game and should be proud. If it were a tie, a great game you played but your coach chose to go for the extra man and thus lost the game. To me, neither team won and it should have rightly been a tie. I wish the Canadians played a more offensive game but they took the puck to the net but Schneider robbed them.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Great game between two fine teams. Either squad will make a worthy champion in the long run. Neither coach or selection committee deserves criticism. That being said, Canada not only scored an empty netter but carried play in the third period and were full value for the result. Bob MacKenzie is right, however: the US actually lost the bye the night before against the Swiss.

I think it is almost an advantage to have lost a close game like this when it comes to a rematch. Unless the Russians intervene, not impossible by any means, I think that's exactly what will happen. The close loss in this game may give the US an advantage in round two...which is the only game that will really matter.

Re the controversies: Both Johnson and Downie slashed each other, pretty harmlessly, before the elbow. There was also a desperation slash on
Chipchura as he scored. Neither slash justified what came later. Johnson did connect with at least a glancing blow. Contrary to one of the earlier posters, the head did snap back. Even if it was only a glancing blow, or even if he missed entirely (which he didn't) it was a clear attempt to injure and took place out of the flow of play. Further discipline ought to have taken place.

Re the chants: there are two stupidities, here. One is the chant itself which is juvenile and tasteless and the other would be taking it too seriously.

By the way, Johnson is not the only undisciplined player. Pouliot ought to sit for that stupid late slash right in front of the ref and he's not the only Canuck to get selfish.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the games.

fogg*

No Suspension for Johnson

I was just watching the recap of the Canada/US game on SportsCentre and at the end of the segment they had an update and said that Jack Johnson won't receive a suspension for the elbow on Downie.

Phanuthier*

SaskaSens said:
Americans played a great game and should be proud. If it were a tie, a great game you played but your coach chose to go for the extra man and thus lost the game. To me, neither team won and it should have rightly been a tie. I wish the Canadians played a more offensive game but they took the puck to the net but Schneider robbed them.
This is Sutter team. They won't knock the lights out, but they win games, which is the only thing that counts.

Misos Milakos*

They dropped the ball, he should be gone for the rest of the tournament.

Caoimhín

Dec 26, 2005
Long Island, NY
fogg said:
I was just watching the recap of the Canada/US game on SportsCentre and at the end of the segment they had an update and said that Jack Johnson won't receive a suspension for the elbow on Downie.
And people are comparing it to what Bertuzzi did :propeller

Misos Milakos*

Caoimhín said:
And people are comparing it to what Bertuzzi did :propeller

If it was in the NHL, it would be a definite suspension. Perhaps not quite Bertuzzi-like, but definitely a blatantly dirty intent to injure, that should have consequences.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
Rush5Collapse5 said:
That's all I was saying. US team has as TSN is quoted saying "host of of first-round thoroughbreds" in Kessel, Ryan, Skille, Oshie, Schremp, Bourque, Wheeler, the Johnson's, and Lee. I don't think it's "hurling dung" to say they are more "skilled".

Sutter did a great job preparing his troops to incapacitate an already tired US team, to give them nothing, and render them near useless. I don't know why I'm getting flack for being respectfully honest.

I don't know if you're referring to me, but I certainly didn't intend on giving you "flak".

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
naihlflames said:
Don't be so sure. If he lets them hit, watch out for Jack Johnson. If he does not let them hit, he will still hit, take bad penalties, and the Canucks will win.

Go USA and contrary to the masses in BC, the US does not $uck.

Pregame prediction on Jack Johnson.

Randall Graves*

Ok, i'm not going to read all the pages I missed, after Canada scored the EN goal I went out..Can someone give me an unbiased account of what happened?

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
RallyKiller said:
Ok, i'm not going to read all the pages I missed, after Canada scored the EN goal I went out..Can someone give me an unbiased account of what happened?
Is that when this happened?? Because just like you I turned it right off after the emoty netter in disgust and I couldn't figure out what everybody was talking about.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Just finished watching the game, I had to tape it as I worked. What a great game. Both teams played great and obviously I'm glad Canada won.

A lot of people didn't want Downie on Team Canada. Wow, were they wrong. He played an amazing game. I thought he was their best forward. Team Canada's defence played an outstanding game as well.

I thought Phil Kessel played pretty well. He needs to use his teammates more however. Why did Burke take Ryan over Johnson? Ryan gets knocked over easily and doesn't have the mentality of a power foward.

Booing the USA national anthem is really classless on the fans part. Some of the fans not all of them should show more respect. Chanting USA sucks I don't mind as much but instead they could be chanting GO Canada GO.

The ref did an amazing job. He let the players play.

Just to comment on the Johnson hit. There was no need for that. It was after a goal and the game was over with. Just a disgusting hit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lou is God said:
Is that when this happened?? Because just like you I turned it right off after the emoty netter in disgust and I couldn't figure out what everybody was talking about.

It happened directly after the EN goal was scored.

bennypeyton

Jul 29, 2005
www.ak907clothing.com
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to follow the tourney on television. Been using all of you to keep informed! A couple of observations:

1. I really hope that the Canadian fans aren't booing the American National Anthem. That is intolerable!

2. USA fans, quit whining about your team getting booed during game play, or post game for that matter. I'm an American, and I kind of think it's cool that they respect us enough to jeer. A complement in my opinion about our new found status in the amateur hockey world. As far as political aspects go, just remember that Gretz is with us, so nothing else matters.

3. Sounds like the typical Canadian outfit. I know that last year they were crazy skilled, but for the most part I have always admired the Canucks brand of outwork you, great goaltending, smart coaches, North American style. Again, I haven't seen one second of this tourney so tell me if I'm wrong.

4. I don't think the Americans will see the final for a rematch. Already played two in two days, one day off, then two in two just to reach the finals? Am I right? Just don't see it unless their goaltending steals one.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tough road ahead for the Americans, first they've got the Czechs and if they beat them, then they will play Malkin and the Russians!!! If they get to the Gold Medal game it will certainly be well earned!!!

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Bryanbryoil said:
Tough road ahead for the Americans, first they've got the Czechs and if they beat them, then they will play Malkin and the Russians!!! If they get to the Gold Medal game it will certainly be well earned!!!
The US have a very tough road ahead of them if they win the Gold Medal. The USA will cruise by the Czechs IMO. The only thing I can see happening is if Schwarz stand on his head. One thing that would concern if I'm an American fan is that chemistry might be an issue. It's been reported numerous times that some players don't like each other and when you have a tough road ahead it makes it more diffficult when you don't like each other. That being I said, I don't think that will happen but you never know.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Kessel was far from impressive, Parent and Staal shut him down easily. As for the Johnson-Downie incident, I'm in the camp who believes what goes around comes around, so even though it was dirty, tough for Downie.

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
RedWingFan said:
One thing is different. Your not saying a team sucks your saying USA A COUNTRY SUCKS.
I agree. I"m not sure what the big deal is. I'm not going to make things seem rosey. I loved the elbow. I know Downie's history

It is so obvious that Canada hates the USA and honeslty I lump Canada in with the French and hate them as much.
I find this funny that you hate a country because a few idiots in B.C. boo you're anthem these morons don't speak for the rest of Canada, but if you think they do and seeing you're a Detroit Red Wings fan were you getting this steemed when Detroit Piston fans booed the Canadian National Anthem isn't this the EXACT same thing funny thing is our anthem has been booed way mores then yours has, and don't give me any thats a different situation crap.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Macman said:
Fantastic game and deserving of a tie. The defences for both teams are great. Canada has to finish better -- too many missed nets -- and Kessel has got to come up with another move. He surprised everyone last year but not this year.

Good post mic. Canada does have to finish better. Good grief.....Cogliano needs a new move too. And he still needs to SHOOT.

Kessel has great speed but I don't know. He really was handled very well by Staal/parent (as someone else said) and more of this will happen in the NHL. He's going to have to learn to fight through checks A LOT better than I've seen the handful of times I've seen him play. Don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic talent but he just kind of falls down when challenged on one-on-ones.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Phanuthier said:
I don't think US is a better team. I think they have alot of talent, but that doesn't mean you have a better team.

USA might have some impressive firepower, but their depth is thin.

I tend to agree with this from the U.S.'s defense. Canada REALLY focussed physically on the 2 Johnson kids and I really think that is smart. Those 2 are the pillars. Some of those other guys aren't that great imo and it showed as they gave the puck away when challenged. If these teams play again then Canada needs to focus on the Johnsons again.

The forwards are 4 lines deep. Don't fool yourself, they are stacked offensively, imo.

I'm not sold on Schneider. Macguire was talking him up but he seems to give out rebounds a little too easily. I've always liked Frazee better, but that's just me.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
canucksfan said:
The US have a very tough road ahead of them if they win the Gold Medal. The USA will cruise by the Czechs IMO.

Weren't they saying the same thing last year? Look out for Czechs, they soundly outshot us today despite of the result...

Rebecca

Nov 1, 2005
Ptbo
St.Louis sports fan said:
Happy early new Year everyone. It was a great game minus the elbow. Here's to a rematch in the finals or semis? Hopefully minus the elbows and booing of the anthem. All the rest...well....there are more important things in life than .

:handclap:

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
As a Canucks fan I'm really happy that we did pick Bourdon now! He seems like such a solid player, and once again besides that one play with Letang IMO he looked like the best defenseman on the ice. Great game for both teams.

I'm also happy with the way Schneider played this game. Really solid.

AgentNaslund*

most exciting game ive seen since Vancouver played Ottawa. Team USA played awesome. Team Canada played awesome. This game really lived up to its hype. Reminded me of a Calgary vs Vancouver game, as Canada plays like Calgary Flames and USA plays like Vancouver with more depth. Awesome game. Canada had more scoring chances. Team USA got the post more then Canada. 5 on 5, Canada played better of the 2. On the Power play, team usa, was waaaaaay better then CAnadas pp. I say its an pretty even game. Phil Kessel I thought is a Power play god. This guy can play anywhere on the power play he plays the point, he wins face offs, his inside outside move did not work, not once against the mighty Canadian defence. Luc Bourdon is Canadas best defencemen. Jack Johnson was USA's best Defencemen. And whats this crap about Eric Johnson being better then Barker? geeze..... not a chance. Anyways, awesome game. Phil Kessel will take the number 1 spot this year. Schneider had to make more big saves then Pogge. good game.

btw, after this game, its Bourdon over Brian Lee easily. Brian Lee was benched after the 1st. Not as big, not as fast, not as physical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad