Prospect Info: WJC 2022 part 2: Picking Back Up In August

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Was there a list, anywhere, who had Mesar ahead of Kulich? When sometimes people say that teams shouldn't try to do too much...I'm afraid it's one glaring example. And not because Mesar is bad. But because Kulich could be better. And it's all about exploiting every possibility to get better. I just hope that the thought process didn't take into effect the friend situation...Wait...pretty sure I'm suppose to only be biased against Timmins though...so my account was hacked people...The ones that know or wants to know, already know that I'm a scout skeptic. I was on André Boudrias case in tihe 90's. Despite his success of the 80's. BUt the lack of vision his 1st rounders was already obvious AT THE TIME. Then, the scouting got their ass kicked between the Boudrias and Timmins eras. It wasn't great there either. Except 1998 though the Gagné miss was just ridiculous. And I'll be on Bobrov-Lapointe case if need be.

My take on the prospects present:

- Roy: Good tourney. Frankly, didn't expect him to even be chosen. Him being there and having some points is such a plus. Yet...TONS of things to work on to even wish to make the NHL. Skating. Implication. Defensive awareness. 'Cause the offensive tools are there. But it might not be enough.
- Kidney: Love his 3 minutes of play. Hopefully he has more time to shine with Grieg's absence. For career, becoming much stronger. And perfecting his offensive game
- Kapanen: All the tools, no toolbox. Great size. Great faceoffs abilities. From the time he was picked to right now, stil the same player. That does everything fine. Nothing great. Type of players that slowly fades in tihe AHL before goig back home.
- Mysak: The guy that plays the most a pro game. The one who can make it. Yet, will OBVIOUSLY never be a top 6 player. At the very best if his explosition and skating improves, a really quality 3rd liner. But progression and development needs to happen. If he is now what he will be then, he won't make it.

NOBODY on that list is a bust. Aside from Kapanen, NOBODY on that list was a bad pick. Especially not Roy in the 5th round.

Now it's all about development. Yet Nicholas isn't god either. But all 4 guys needs ton of it.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Was there a list, anywhere, who had Mesar ahead of Kulich? When sometimes people say that teams shouldn't try to do too much...I'm afraid it's one glaring example. And not because Mesar is bad. But because Kulich could be better. And it's all about exploiting every possibility to get better. I just hope that the thought process didn't take into effect the friend situation...Wait...pretty sure I'm suppose to only be biased against Timmins though...so my account was hacked people...The ones that know or wants to know, already know that I'm a scout skeptic. I was on André Boudrias case in tihe 90's. Despite his success of the 80's. BUt the lack of vision his 1st rounders was already obvious AT THE TIME. Then, the scouting got their ass kicked between the Boudrias and Timmins eras. It wasn't great there either. Except 1998 though the Gagné miss was just ridiculous. And I'll be on Bobrov-Lapointe case if need be.
To play devils advocate a bit, we don't know how good Mesar would have looked had he been allowed to go. Kulich does really well for himself in these tourneys but Mesar has had good international showing of his own too. I like Kulich a ton as well for what it's worth, I'd be just as happy right now had we picked him instead.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

My take on the prospects present:

- Roy: Good tourney. Frankly, didn't expect him to even be chosen. Him being there and having some points is such a plus. Yet...TONS of things to work on to even wish to make the NHL. Skating. Implication. Defensive awareness. 'Cause the offensive tools are there. But it might not be enough.
- Kidney: Love his 3 minutes of play. Hopefully he has more time to shine with Grieg's absence. For career, becoming much stronger. And perfecting his offensive game
- Kapanen: All the tools, no toolbox. Great size. Great faceoffs abilities. From the time he was picked to right now, stil the same player. That does everything fine. Nothing great. Type of players that slowly fades in tihe AHL before goig back home.
- Mysak: The guy that plays the most a pro game. The one who can make it. Yet, will OBVIOUSLY never be a top 6 player. At the very best if his explosition and skating improves, a really quality 3rd liner. But progression and development needs to happen. If he is now what he will be then, he won't make it.

NOBODY on that list is a bust. Aside from Kapanen, NOBODY on that list was a bad pick. Especially not Roy in the 5th round.

Now it's all about development. Yet Nicholas isn't god either. But all 4 guys needs ton of it.
Are you sarcastic when referring to Kidney's three minutes?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

What a legend

6693ea5072.jpg

Team USA get what they deserve for cutting our boy Lane Hutson.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
To play devils advocate a bit, we don't know how good Mesar would have looked had he been allowed to go. Kulich does really well for himself in these tourneys but Mesar has had good international showing of his own too. I like Kulich a ton as well for what it's worth, I'd be just as happy right now had we picked him instead.

Obviously not comparing both 'cause Mesar isn't playing. Just saying...I hope they are right. 'Cause I didn't find one single list made by outside companies, not teams, and not about Joe Bleau that knows shit either, that had Mesar ahead of Kulich. And what we see Kulich doing is just great right. Was great at the U-18. Was obviously the best U-18 player in Czechia. And is the 2nd best 2022 draftee in this U20 too, AHEAD of Cooley if we take into account the overall game and the stats.

If Kulich would be our own....we would be drooling. So it's not a criticism towards Mesar. It's an acknowledgment of how great Kulich is looking. And that we have to hope that Mesar comes close to that. Though statswise, Mesar was 3rd as far as U-18 in Slovakia. What's the toughest league? Slovakia or Czechia? And while I understand stats isn't everything, when you are a smaller player like Mesar is....stats has to come front and center. Especially since nobody wants to think of him as a 3rd line player....ESPECIALLY not after seeing Kulich play.

What it looks like right now....right now key point, is that we worked extra hard to go in a different direction than what the GPS was indicated....As somebody once said...bold strategy...let's see if it pays off....

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
The criticism of Cooley's performance is way too harsh. This is basically a U21 tournament given the August timing and he just got drafted last month. He still has two years of eligibility left in this tournament. He's playing a top 6 role and has been an offensive threat throughout the tournament. No other player from the USA-NTDP's loaded WU18 team made Team USA. That's because the difference between where the top 20-year olds are vs the top 18-years olds is massive in terms of where they are with their development. Cooley will be one of the best players in the tournament in four months in Halifax-Moncton when none of the 2002 born players are eligible.

As far as Kulich-Mesar go, they both bring different things to the table. Mesar's a better skater and has more offensive upside where Kulich has a better rounded game at this point. Kulich was a force at the WU18 and is having a solid U20 especially for an 18-year old. We'll see how each player develops over the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The criticism of Cooley's performance is way too harsh. This is basically a U21 tournament given the August timing and he just got drafted last month. He still has two years of eligibility left in this tournament. He's playing a top 6 role and has been an offensive threat throughout the tournament. No other player from the USA-NTDP's loaded WU18 team made Team USA. That's because the difference between where the top 20-year olds vs the top 18-years olds is massive in terms of where they are with their development. Cooley will be one of the best players in the tournament in four months in Halifax-Moncton when none of the 2002 born players are eligible.

As far as Kulich-Mesar go, they both bring different things to the table. Mesar's a better skater and has more offensive upside where Kulich has a better rounded game at this point. Kulich was a force at the WU18 and is having a solid U20 especially for an 18-year old. We'll see how each player develops over the next 2-3 years.
If Slaf would have had the type of tournament Cooley had, there would have been tons of criticisms as well. There's also criticisms towards Jiricek. There's TONS of criticisms towards Bedard right now. It comes with the territory whether it's unfair or not. Whether people can remember that while Suzuki was also dissapointing, that Gabriel Bourque was a future all-star based on his U-20....it still won't change how people discuss it.

Kulich vs Mesar....well I do not know how people can attest that Mesar has more offensive upside. Based on what? Recency or not, based on league play or tournament, if anything Kulich showed was putting some offensive stats on the board. I think the debate is more about how Mesar seemed to be more assertive while Kulich could have been more this extraordinairy but complementary player. And yes, we will wait the development of both, for sure.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
The criticism of Cooley's performance is way too harsh. This is basically a U21 tournament given the August timing and he just got drafted last month. He still has two years of eligibility left in this tournament. He's playing a top 6 role and has been an offensive threat throughout the tournament. No other player from the USA-NTDP's loaded WU18 team made Team USA. That's because the difference between where the top 20-year olds are vs the top 18-years olds is massive in terms of where they are with their development. Cooley will be one of the best players in the tournament in four months in Halifax-Moncton when none of the 2002 born players are eligible.

Cooley will be fine. No one in the hockey world and that includes Arizona believed he wasn’t a work in progress. He has all the tools already. Suzuki didn’t have a great WJC and he’s also a skilled Center. Not worried at all.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018

You´ve got this other way around.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
If Slaf would have had the type of tournament Cooley had, there would have been tons of criticisms as well. There's also criticisms towards Jiricek. There's TONS of criticisms towards Bedard right now. It comes with the territory whether it's unfair or not. Whether people can remember that while Suzuki was also dissapointing, that Gabriel Bourque was a future all-star based on his U-20....it still won't change how people discuss it.

Kulich vs Mesar....well I do not know how people can attest that Mesar has more offensive upside. Based on what? Recency or not, based on league play or tournament, if anything Kulich showed was putting some offensive stats on the board. I think the debate is more about how Mesar seemed to be more assertive while Kulich could have been more this extraordinairy but complementary player. And yes, we will wait the development of both, for sure.
Yes and it would be stupid to critique Slaf as well. Cooley won every single face off last night, scored a goal and drew a 5-minute major. Hockey evaluation 101 is the performance of a draft eligible in a U20 tournament (in this case U21) shouldn't be held against them. Cooley is basically a draft eligible by WJC standards given that this edition is a 20 year old tournament rather than a 10 year old tournament.
Cooley will be fine. No one in the hockey world and that includes Arizona believed he wasn’t a work in progress. He has all the tools already. Suzuki didn’t have a great WJC and he’s also a skilled Center. Not worried at all.
Suzuki was also in his last year of eligibility in that WJC. Cooley's just a baby in this one and has two more years of eligibility. He'll light the tournament up this December.
You´ve got this other way around.
Disagree. And I had Kulich ahead of Mesar on my draft list. Kulich isn't a speed burner. Mesar has wicked offensive instincts. That's his bread and butter. I love what Kulich brings to the table though and would gladly take him.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Was there a list, anywhere, who had Mesar ahead of Kulich? When sometimes people say that teams shouldn't try to do too much...I'm afraid it's one glaring example. And not because Mesar is bad. But because Kulich could be better. And it's all about exploiting every possibility to get better. I just hope that the thought process didn't take into effect the friend situation...

And Mesar could be better than Kulich.
Your take makes no sense. Both Kulich and Mesar were projected to be late 1st round picks, and both are in the same tier of talent. Either of them could end up becoming the better player, and it wouldn't surprise anybody.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
And Mesar could be better than Kulich.
Your take makes no sense. Both Kulich and Mesar were projected to be late 1st round picks, and both are in the same tier of talent. Either of them could end up becoming the better player, and it wouldn't surprise anybody.
McKenzie had Kulich at 18. Mesar at 30. I don't see that as same tier. But I also said that Mesar could end up a very very good player. I hope we maximize the pick. That's all. And yes, we will see also based on devleopment. It's about the making of a team and the choosing of the BPA. Our team is small. So picking a bigger player in Kulich makes more sense to me especially since you would not have sacrificed BPA at the time of the draft if you would have gone with him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Obviously not comparing both 'cause Mesar isn't playing. Just saying...I hope they are right. 'Cause I didn't find one single list made by outside companies, not teams, and not about Joe Bleau that knows shit either, that had Mesar ahead of Kulich. And what we see Kulich doing is just great right. Was great at the U-18. Was obviously the best U-18 player in Czechia. And is the 2nd best 2022 draftee in this U20 too, AHEAD of Cooley if we take into account the overall game and the stats.

If Kulich would be our own....we would be drooling. So it's not a criticism towards Mesar. It's an acknowledgment of how great Kulich is looking. And that we have to hope that Mesar comes close to that. Though statswise, Mesar was 3rd as far as U-18 in Slovakia. What's the toughest league? Slovakia or Czechia? And while I understand stats isn't everything, when you are a smaller player like Mesar is....stats has to come front and center. Especially since nobody wants to think of him as a 3rd line player....ESPECIALLY not after seeing Kulich play.

What it looks like right now....right now key point, is that we worked extra hard to go in a different direction than what the GPS was indicated....As somebody once said...bold strategy...let's see if it pays off....

Not that it matters as all of the publications that are available to the public are trash but most had Mesar and Kulich relatively close. I find it extremely unlikely that you are telling the truth about your extensive search not yielding a single site to name Mesar over Kulich yet the first one that I checked was Dobber Prospects who enlisted contributors from Elite Prospects, Mckeens, THN and the Athletic and they had Mesar at #15 and Kulich outside of the first round. It is a garbage publication made from other garbage contributors but these are the biggest names in the "Public Scouting" universe. But you some how missed that lol.

All we know for sure is that one NHL scouting staff had Mesar ahead of Kulich and there is zero evidence that any other NHL scouting staff felt differently....there very well might be some but we will never know. We also know that he was passed over in the first 27 selections including twice by the team that eventually drafted him. You make it sound like a travesty that we passed on him but the evidence suggests otherwise......I guess evidence is more important to those who aren't trying to push a ridiculous narrative.

2022 NHL Draft Fantasy Rankings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad