Prospect Info: WJC 2022 part 2: Picking Back Up In August

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I will say, personnally, I don't see Kapanen developing into anything. I could easily be wrong. But no expectations for me.

Hard to say... he might have boring development like Evans where it takes a while or he busts. I doubt Kidney turns into a top 2C and I also doubt Kapanen does as well. I see bottom 6F type potential.

Hard to say how hard he works at his game. He just turned 19 so the next two seasons are big ones for him. I think he is very light for his height. Needs to add muscle.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Kapanen over Winterton is gonna burn me up for awhile.

I wanted Knies in the 1st round. So I would have had NO PROBLEMS giving up 63 AND 64 to move right up and take Knies. But saying put, my choices at 63 and 64 would have been Pastujov and Winterton. Liked Svozil too. 2021 will not be what it could have been...but...we have ways to go before really being able to say it. Just my prediction. Mailloux is fine as a hockey player...but Zellweger? Morrow? Then the 2nd round. And even Kostenko...anyway....

My problem with Kapanen right now is I don't see one great quality. The kid is...fine. Not huge mistakes. No big exploits. But usually those players when they don't develop an extra quality play in lower leagues. We will see...I'M just underwhelmed right now. But I've been wrong before...See Jake Evans. Though missing a 7th round is FAR less important than missing a 2nd rounder...

Can't wait to see his Liiga season.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You're seriously overestimating what a 16 year old can do in this tournament.

In the 21st century, the best 16 year old WJC performance belongs to Crosby with 5 points in 6 games. Then McDavid and Barkov with 4 points in 7. No one has scored more than 3 goals in a tournament.

Dvorsky is still eligible to play in the WJC three more times after this one.

Dvorsky is 17 though. His draft year start in a month.

It being his 16 years old season doesn't matter as much in August when he played the whole year and got his offseason training in before the tournament.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You have to consider that we were not going to trade Romanov if we couldn't get Dach. I like Kemell but Dach > Kemell.

Your post should say I wish we traded the Flames 1st and other picks to move down to take Kemell. We were not going to trade Romanov for a winger prospect.

At this point, whether we think of what Dach is to Kemell, it's all about potential for either of those 2 guys. And frankly, usually, it's better to bet on potential of a 18 year old than a 21 year old. But if somebody have skills that can turn this around...it's Dach.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Dvorsky is 17 though. His draft year start in a month.

It being his 16 years old season doesn't matter as much in August when he played the whole year and got his offseason training in before the tournament.

On the flip-side, a lot of the competition had an opportunity for the same development.

December is the more important tournament for him to implicate himself.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
At this point, whether we think of what Dach is to Kemell, it's all about potential for either of those 2 guys. And frankly, usually, it's better to bet on potential of a 18 year old than a 21 year old. But if somebody have skills that can turn this around...it's Dach.
I don't buy that. Dach's actually younger than Caufield. He had an impressive playoff for the Blackhawks in the bubble as a rookie. He's being judged harshly because he's been getting his feet wet in the NHL since he was drafted. So many tall forwards don't hit their stride and find consistency until they approach their mid-20s.

I'm a Kemell fan and think he was a steal at pick 17. I'd still take the 21-year old 6ft4 center with untapped upside (has shown what he can do at NHL level in flashes) any day of the week over Kemell. They're just so hard to get. Conor Geekie went 11 overall and Dach's a far better skater.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I don't buy that. Dach's actually younger than Caufield. He had an impressive playoff for the Blackhawks in the bubble as a rookie. He's being judged harshly because he's been getting his feet wet in the NHL since he was drafted. So many tall forwards don't hit their stride and find consistency until they approach their mid-20s.

I'm a Kemell fan and think he was a steal at pick 17. I'd still take the 21-year old 6ft4 center with untapped upside (has shown what he can do at NHL level in flashes) any day of the week over Kemell. They're just so hard to get. Conor Geekie went 11 overall and Dach's a far better skater.

As you can see....I did not bash Dach. I made a post saying that I believe Dach could turn this around. My sole and only point is that there's a reason why overager prospects don't go too high up in the draft even though most of them had a great season than the others...it's because the development curve, even 1 year old has already began to stabilize. I didn't say it stopped. I said began. So imagine 18 compared to 21. And I said USUALLY. Not EVERYTIME.

I'm also just saying that right now we cannot say Dach is better than Kemell which was implied in the post I've responded to. Because right now it's based on potential. If Dach would have already reached the potential we think he can, he would not have been available.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I agree. Kemell will be a great prospect for the Preds. But despite not exactly living up to his draft position yet, Dach is still ahead in his development than any player Habs would have drafted had they kept the 13th pick. And he's only 21, so there is still a lot of room for progression.

And Hughes has said it since he got here, all things being equal, if he had the choice of having a draft pick or a prospect. he'd take the prospect. And his trades so far have been proof of it. He acquired Heineman in the Toffoli trade. He acquired Smilanic in the Chiarot trade. He acquired Barron in the Lehkonen trade. He did get picks in those deals, as well. But instead of getting more picks, he ensured that a prospect was included in the deal. He also acquired Schnarr in the Hammond trade.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
For the record....'cause that the tangent seems to be headed this way....I WAS NOT and STILL AM NOT saying we should have picked Kemell instead of Dach. Was just talking about already saying Dach is better than Kemell. That makes absolutely no sense. It could be headed that way. But it's not now.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Today is Roy day boys and girls. Dach isn’t even playing this tourney.

We know Roy will start on the top line with McTavish and Bedard. I hope Roy is able to show that he belongs on that top line. And I'm secretly-not-so-secretly hoping one of the bottom line guys either stinks up the joint or gets hurt so Kidney could get in the line-up.

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
As you can see....I did not bash Dach. I made a post saying that I believe Dach could turn this around. My sole and only point is that there's a reason why overager prospects don't go too high up in the draft even though most of them had a great season than the others...it's because the development curve, even 1 year old has already began to stabilize. I didn't say it stopped. I said began. So imagine 18 compared to 21. And I said USUALLY. Not EVERYTIME.
Overage prospects are kids who have already been passed over in the draft. Dach went #3 overall, had an impressive playoff in his rookie season, was named captain of Team Canada in the WJC and is currently 3rd in points for all players taken in the 2019 draft.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Wow...good if it stays that way. Pretty surprised to see Othmann out for Kidney though. Could mean though that Riley will serve as the 13th forward. But it's better than not serving at all..lol

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Wow...good if it stays that way. Pretty surprised to see Othmann out for Kidney though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad