Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
They just called it a discectomy to me but they made it sound like the simplest of back surgeries so maybe it was a microdiscectomy
If the incision is only an inch or so then they went in with a microscope. I had the same surgery, lengthier recovery because of more damage. Pretty cool though.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I know it's being talked about like a minor surgery, but if it's a discectomy, they removed the ruptured portion of the disc. That means he has less remaining disc material, some degree of a compressed disc and a tear in the wall of the disc. It's minor for most people, but it's still not ideal for a person that plays a physically demanding professional sport.

Reactions: Static

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
"Smart, competitive players" does not sound like Lev to me.
I think if a team believes Levshunov can be a difference maker offensively then they could overlook some of his weaknesses. But Madden didn't really describe him as a player who is going to put up big offensive numbers so I would infer that Levshunov is not "the guy" for them at 3OA.

Based on this interview, appears “drafting for need” is not something they’re looking at, from what I can interpret. Sounds like they tried that approach a couple times in the past and it was a bust.
Also seems to blow out of the water the Grant Mccagg comment from last week where he said that PV wasn't keen on taking a Russian. That is either clearly false or Madden is misdirecting / lying. I suspect the former. Which puts Demidov / Silayev potentially front and center for 3OA.

Reactions: lwvs84
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

A lot of the same quotes as the Derek Lee piece but a few extras. A bit interesting to compare it to 2019, but probably can’t glean anything from that, nor can you on the quick snippets on Levshunov, Silayev and Buium.

I think if a team believes Levshunov can be a difference maker offensively then they could overlook some of his weaknesses. But Madden didn't really describe him as a player who is going to put up big offensive numbers so I would infer that Levshunov is not "the guy" for them at 3OA.
You can’t really infer anything on those comments, they’re vanilla on purpose. The one on Buium could both be interpreted as a polite non-answer on a guy they don’t love to complete praise on a guy they do.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
But surely he is still one of the 8? And Madden did leave himself an out saying something to the effect that (totally paraphrasing here) there are always a couple of guys who do better than where they are picked and the challenge is trying to find those guys. So, I'm not sure I'd infer Lev is out of contention yet.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Montreal may have leaked their draft order. Twitter post seems to be deleted now.

1. Demidov
2. Lindstrom
3. Buium/Sennecke

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i think madden was referring to ritchie and larsson. maybe steel?

drysdale was a mix of bad injury luck and rushed development. i wouldn't consider him a bust

lundestrom was never expected to be more than a defensive minded C and i think he's been decent for the most part

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Montreal may have leaked their draft order. Twitter post seems to be deleted now.

1. Demidov
2. Lindstrom
3. Buium/Sennecke
I feel like montreal might have the most obvious list out of every team in the top 10

A lot of the same quotes as the Derek Lee piece but a few extras. A bit interesting to compare it to 2019, but probably can’t glean anything from that, nor can you on the quick snippets on Levshunov, Silayev and Buium.

You can’t really infer anything on those comments, they’re vanilla on purpose. The one on Buium could both be interpreted as a polite non-answer on a guy they don’t love to complete praise on a guy they do.
Ya i think people are reading too far into things, i think our list is still prob pretty wide open

Madden said "moving forward" My guess is its a forward ^.^

Last edited:

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
i think madden was referring to ritchie and larsson. maybe steel?

drysdale was a mix of bad injury luck and rushed development. i wouldn't consider him a bust

lundestrom was never expected to be more than a defensive minded C and i think he's been decent for the most part
Don't think it would be Larsson. He was a completely logical pick at that spot, and was trending up until he injured his knee. He looked to be a better than average pick for the slot until then.

Like others have said, I doubt late round picks would be guys he'd be talking about. At that point you're just trying to get lucky anyway. There are a couple obvious selections higher up in the draft that look pretty bad in retrospect. I suppose Perreault maybe could qualify, since he was always seen as a boom or bust type. And at the time, maybe they emphasized getting shooters.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
lol if hes calling a player still in their system and still fighting for a spot, a bust/burned by @ Tracey

Edit: not saying your guess is wrong, would just be funny if true...poor guy
Perreault for sure b/c Madden talked about looking for a shooter with that pick. Tracey maybe not but he'll only be Duck property until they DNQ him in the next few days.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Don't think it would be Larsson. He was a completely logical pick at that spot, and was trending up until he injured his knee. He looked to be a better than average pick for the slot until then.

Like others have said, I doubt late round picks would be guys he'd be talking about. At that point you're just trying to get lucky anyway. There are a couple obvious selections higher up in the draft that look pretty bad in retrospect. I suppose Perreault maybe could qualify, since he was always seen as a boom or bust type. And at the time, maybe they emphasized getting shooters.
More than that I don’t see how you could have ever said Larsson was a pick based on need. From a prospect pool standpoint they drafted Theodore with a late first and Pettersson with an early second the past two years(along with Montour with a second and another LHD with a third). It’s even worse from an NHL perspective, where the team that went to game 7 of the conference final featured two 23 year old LHD, a 23 year old RHD and a 21 year old LHD playing major roles. The absolute last thing the team needed was yet another LHD.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I feel like montreal might have the most obvious list out of every team in the top 10

Ya i think people are reading too far into things, i think our list is still prob pretty wide open

Madden said "moving forward" My guess is its a forward ^.^
"Moving forward" clearly means we are trading Zegras at the draft

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
"Moving forward" clearly means we are trading Zegras at the draft
AAC4198A-9F84-46D8-BFBE-EE4F5FF41001.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Son of Gib

Ad