Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2024 Draft, the Ducks take Beckett Sennecke

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
While the consensus is to pick the best available and not need. There is something to be said for finding a true RH RW that the Ducks dearly need. We have so many LH shots across our offense and defense.

Other than Demidov, was there any other wing that we should take at 3? Are we going down the take the best center and see if we can convert yet another one?

Was there a standout RHD we missed on?

If it is really just Demidov, then time will tell.

John

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
He's a terrific pick.

Being Russian played a part in passing on Ivan D. Why go thru :

1) The risk of losing a player to the KHL,
2) The difficulty of negotiating with Russian players/agents,
3) A higher than average under performance (bust) factor with Russian players,

when you can get a 6'2" Canadian kid with a ton of upside? Maybe they looked at the kid and saw the next Wyatt Johnston and they were worried others saw the same thing?

Could Anaheim have traded down and still got Sennecke? Maybe. Unless they heard other teams were interested.

Again, terrific pick.

Everyone knew before the draft the Ducks were going to draft Sennecke. If the whole world knows that tidbit, then it's impossible to trade down because they'll want to know more about Sennecke and possibly take him instead of their original pick or completely lowball the Ducks.

For the past two drafts, the Ducks pick has been leaked before the draft with Carlsson and Sennecke. This is terrible for the front office and it needs to be fixed/shutdown.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Everyone knew before the draft the Ducks were going to draft Sennecke. If the whole world knows that tidbit, then it's impossible to trade down because they'll want to know more about Sennecke and possibly take him instead of their original pick or completely lowball the Ducks.

For the past two drafts, the Ducks pick has been leaked before the draft with Carlsson and Sennecke. This is terrible for the front office and it needs to be fixed/shutdown.

Yeah that's simply not true. The last 12 hours before the draft almost all of the speculation was on Buium. The betting favorite was Silayev leading up to that for weeks. When the draft began Sennecke was 4th in odds at +600.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

?? Can’t tell if you’re joking but it was widely reported that no one knew, even Vegas odds. Same thing last year where the odds were on Fantili. We supposedly have the tightest lipped FO out there.

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
There was a rumor at the start of the draft the ducks were taking this kid. Likely there were conversations about trading picks (which is why none of the top picks were traded) where GM's were like, "we would like to move up... or we would like to move down" and then they we would say, "Fine, I can move down a few slots, but who are you taking?"

I don't feel that these picks are truly poker hands and suprises to any GM's. These GM's know each other well, they have had conversations about moving up or down and who they would take if it would happen. Most of these guys have worked together or played together, been out drinking together, discussing hockey stuff together for decades.

Likely all the GM's involved realized that moving down meant likely missing their top choices... or would cost the team they were trading with their own choices. Which is why there was no movement.

My money is that the Ducks didn't mind trading back to take this kid, but someone 4-6 also wanted him. I bet you, that by draft day, most of these teams could name the top 3 choices of each of the other teams. You have to know because that's how you know if/when/should either party even trade. That's how you know to approach another GM and be like, "hey I know you want guy X, mind dropping down 2 spots? Obviously team Y won't take guy X. So lets swap". Any criticism of, "Why didn't the Ducks trade down and grab him later?" is kind of pointless without knowing all the details.

That being said, I do like the strategy of grabbing kids who have gone through recent physical growth yet were already great players before and after the spurts. I think its an interesting strategy to value players having higher potential than they are rated as. I'm sure there are great stats out there that show physically dominant, early puberty players who hit man body when other 16-17 year olds are still growing, might put up good stats against their peers, but they already peaked vs their opposition due to early physical growth.

Sennecke's stats the last part of his season and the playoffs warrant a top level pick if you just look at his physical size and those stats in isolation. If he can also be a bit physical and tenacious at the NHL than he a great team fit, even if he isn't the 3rd best player in this draft.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
There was a rumor at the start of the draft the ducks were taking this kid. Likely there were conversations about trading picks (which is why none of the top picks were traded) where GM's were like, "we would like to move up... or we would like to move down" and then they we would say, "Fine, I can move down a few slots, but who are you taking?"

I don't feel that these picks are truly poker hands and suprises to any GM's. These GM's know each other well, they have had conversations about moving up or down and who they would take if it would happen. Most of these guys have worked together or played together, been out drinking together, discussing hockey stuff together for decades.

Likely all the GM's involved realized that moving down meant likely missing their top choices... or would cost the team they were trading with their own choices. Which is why there was no movement.

My money is that the Ducks didn't mind trading back to take this kid, but someone 4-6 also wanted him. I bet you, that by draft day, most of these teams could name the top 3 choices of each of the other teams. You have to know because that's how you know if/when/should either party even trade. That's how you know to approach another GM and be like, "hey I know you want guy X, mind dropping down 2 spots? Obviously team Y won't take guy X. So lets swap". Any criticism of, "Why didn't the Ducks trade down and grab him later?" is kind of pointless without knowing all the details.

That being said, I do like the strategy of grabbing kids who have gone through recent physical growth yet were already great players before and after the spurts. I think its an interesting strategy to value players having higher potential than they are rated as. I'm sure there are great stats out there that show physically dominant, early puberty players who hit man body when other 16-17 year olds are still growing, might put up good stats against their peers, but they already peaked vs their opposition due to early physical growth.

Sennecke's stats the last part of his season and the playoffs warrant a top level pick if you just look at his physical size and those stats in isolation. If he can also be a bit physical and tenacious at the NHL than he a great team fit, even if he isn't the 3rd best player in this draft.
This is what the Ducks are banking on obviously.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

His consensus ranking was 13th. I hope this kid kicks ass, but it was a reach, also Madden said there were 8 players in consideration for this pick and that the top 12 was really good, so if they traded down and someone else picked him, not the end of the world. I don't feel the Ducks maximized the value of the 3rd pick that's my gripe. Clearly they see something that most don't but Verbeek has yet to earn the benefit of the doubt to just "trust him" and if you are going off the board like this you better not miss.

I don't think it's comparable to Carlsson, Carlsson was pretty much consistently a top ranked player all year, Sennecke you're pretty much just Disregarding everything from the first few months of the season and completely buying into the last few, maybe they're right but was the value of the 3rd pick maximized? In my opinion no
Based on Madden's comments, it's likely they were on Sennecke all season because his production wasn't matching up to the quality of his play.

People are reading his comments as a load of crap, but I see it the other way. Sennecke wasn't a late riser for the Ducks because they liked him all season and were just waiting for the points to come. When they did, it justified their evaluation.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Based on his reaction, everyone knew but Sennecke.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Someone said that they thought Sennecke to the ducks because Verbeek was following him around. Makes sense that you pay a bit more attention to the guy you take at pick 3 that other teams would notice

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Someone said that they thought Sennecke to the ducks because Verbeek was following him around. Makes sense that you pay a bit more attention to the guy you take at pick 3 that other teams would notice
200w (1).gif

b2f4856c0817c467bc31e7f85840ac63.gif

tumblr_lucnk5Yyup1qcj771540.gif

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg

His consensus ranking was 13th. I hope this kid kicks ass, but it was a reach, also Madden said there were 8 players in consideration for this pick and that the top 12 was really good, so if they traded down and someone else picked him, not the end of the world. I don't feel the Ducks maximized the value of the 3rd pick that's my gripe. Clearly they see something that most don't but Verbeek has yet to earn the benefit of the doubt to just "trust him" and if you are going off the board like this you better not miss.

I don't think it's comparable to Carlsson, Carlsson was pretty much consistently a top ranked player all year, Sennecke you're pretty much just Disregarding everything from the first few months of the season and completely buying into the last few, maybe they're right but was the value of the 3rd pick maximized? In my opinion no
If one gauges value of picks based on the consensus ranking, one could argue that is true, the pick wasn't maximized. But that's now how picks that turn into players are actually maximized, or valued. Barring a consensus generational talents, maximization of pick value can likely only be gauged after these players have played several seasons in NHL.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I can’t make an assessment of this pick, don’t know the player or didn’t watch him play. I’ll be honest, have not really been paying attention to this draft. I want the Ducks to start competing as soon as next season. So July 1st have been more circled on my calendar, because of Verbeek trying to get help for the Ducks now.

But it seems this kid has a lot of potential and will be fun to see his progress, similar to when we traded for Gauthier and watching his progress.

Not sure what bearing this has on Zegras future in a Ducks jersey, but this kid seems to be at least a couple of years away, so it gives Zegras some time to prove he can still be part of this core.
I've seen this notion posted before by some and I just don't know where it is coming from. If anything, Sennecke adds the balance to our team with Zegras in it. Adds that physicality and forechecking, plus is a righty.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $32,249.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00