With McClement gone, Who takes over the Alternate Captaincy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i wouldn't give it to kessel. to me he's the guy who just wants to come in, play hawkey and go home. the moment you slap the A on him, it's going to mean he's GOING to have to talk to the media more (something he doesn't like to do) more attention is on him (like there isn't enough already)... just because he's the best player doesn't mean he needs a letter.

they'll probably give it to Robidas and maybe/potentially, JVR or Bozak. I wouldn't give it to Clarkson, only because the poor guy already has the weight of Leafs Nation on his shoulder, the dude has enough to freak out about.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
i dont think there is a shortage of people who could possibly rock an "A".

kessel - people might laugh but he leads by example a lot imo and he does make an effort to take to media when they approach him. even phaneuf hid and kessel took it. i really dont see how he isnt an A.

robidas - as a senior/veteran player i almost think it is out of respect but i think he will be an alternate.

then players like bozak, possibly polak, lupul, komorov could make a case. even though i think clarkson has the potential to do a good job i dont think he will have respect until he plays better

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
i wouldn't give it to kessel. to me he's the guy who just wants to come in, play hawkey and go home. the moment you slap the A on him, it's going to mean he's GOING to have to talk to the media more (something he doesn't like to do) more attention is on him (like there isn't enough already)... just because he's the best player doesn't mean he needs a letter.

they'll probably give it to Robidas and maybe/potentially, JVR or Bozak. I wouldn't give it to Clarkson, only because the poor guy already has the weight of Leafs Nation on his shoulder, the dude has enough to freak out about.

To me he's the guy that wanted to come to Toronto, an up and coming star that signed in Toronto. The only FA in a long ****ing time that had the ball to come here under all the scrutiny, and not only rise as a very good player, but to be one of the best in the game.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Kessel is not a leader type.

Clarkson does have leadership qualities and player respect it appears. Maybe just the thing he needs to give him a boost?

Another choice for consideration is Kadri if management has deemed that he has matured enough to take on that role.

The last option I think the Leafs should consider is JVR.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Definitely don't think Robidas should get an A just cause he's old. Yes he's got skills and a track record but a letter isn't gonna make him a leader. We need to promote from within, if the team believes he's a leader, fine then slap on an A. I'd like to see Kessel or JVR get it or Komarov.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario

Clarkson does have leadership qualities and player respect it appears. Maybe just the thing he needs to give him a boost?

Another choice for consideration is Kadri if management has deemed that he has matured enough to take on that role.

Yet, he is the only elite FA that decided that he wanted to play for (and probably retire) the Leafs. We hear about all these chicken **** players that don't want to play under the microscope, and here we are with a franchise player wanting to win here.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Yet, he is the only elite FA that decided that he wanted to play for (and probably retire) the Leafs. We hear about all these chicken **** players that don't want to play under the microscope, and here we are with a franchise player wanting to win here.

Which is great, but he still doesn't display the persona of a leader. He would need to become more of a two way player and not shy away from the media so much if he were to get my vote for the A.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
Which is great, but he still doesn't display the persona of a leader. He would need to become more of a two way player and not shy away from the media so much if he were to get my vote for the A.

Shy away from the media? Since when has he done that? How many more interviews do you suppose Jay did than Phil the past couple years? 10? 20? 50?

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
The leaders on the team will lead regardless of whether a letter is on their jersey or not. These things always seem more for the fans than the team itself.
On a more technical level, only captains and alternates are allowed to discuss rule interpretations with the referees...

6.1 Captain - One Captain shall be appointed by each team, and he
alone shall have the privilege of discussing with the Referee any
questions relating to interpretation of rules which may arise during the
progress of a game.

...but see also...

6.2 Alternate Captains – If the permanent Captain is not on the ice,
Alternate Captains (not more than two) shall be accorded the
privileges of the Captain.

From the NHL rulebook http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/pdfs/2012-13_RuleBook.pdf

Thus it behooves a team to appoint players who know the rules well and can think on their feet.

mikebel111*

Lol at Kadri selection. I would love it. However Leafs Nation would be all over the poor kid if they aren't already:laugh:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
they should just rotate the captaincy, then have the players vote at the end of the season.

the a's sound probably be lupul and maybe a vet or 2.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I don't like giving it to a guy that just came to the team unless they are well known leaders in the NHL.

The A should come internally.

The logical choices are Bozak, Kessel, or JVR. This is our best line that carried our team last season.

If it were a vote of the team, it would go to one of these guys, I am expecting one of them to be named A.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Bozak/Robidas are good candidates for me. I'm not someone who advocates too much for guys like Kessel/JVR to wear the A. There's enough pressure on them as it is, just let them do their jobs and score goals, they're pure scorers.

Doughty doesn't wear a letter in LA. Take notes.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Who cares? assistant captaincy is so irrelevant... just give it to the oldest guys on the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad