With McClement gone, Who takes over the Alternate Captaincy

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would give it to Phil.

Fully knowing that the "A" could help Phil's development more than it helps the team

I'd put a "D" on Kessel's jersey to remind him that defense is also a requirement for a successful team for his development.

After he no longer becomes a defensive liability, I would switch it to a "A" for effort rewarding him for improvement. ;)

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'd put a "D" on Kessel's jersey to remind him that defense is also a requirement for a successful team for his development.

After he no longer becomes a defensive liability, I would switch it to a "A" for effort rewarding him for improvement. ;)

Hasn't Randy taught you anything Mess?

The best defense is a good offense... Making Phil the best damned defensive forward on the team :sarcasm:

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I actually wouldn't mind recognizing Bozak as a leader. He gets flack for not being a legit #1C, but its not his fault. He's probably are most well-rounded and responsible centres, and it seems like he already a leader.

Robidas seems like an obvious choice, which I wouldn't mind. But you don't need to wear a letter to be a leader, and I think Robidas will be one regardless.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

Id give kessel the C because of cookies

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Realistic candidates I'd be happy with:

Robidas, Bozak, JVR

I think Rielly would be a great "A" in a few years as well, but not quite yet. I just hope it's not Clarkson, but despite everyone's hatred for him he could be a decent leader (none of us are in the room).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Bozak would be the most logical choice.

Toronto is likely hoping they can eventually place a "A" on Clarkson as that was one of the intangible reasons they brought him to Toronto in the first place to provide leadership.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I want to see Phil take the next step as a leader of this team, this is basically his team, so I think he is one of the favourites. Bozak is very respected by his teammates, he is always well spoken after games, defending his teammates or coming out after a loss, a stand up guy. It wouldn't surprise me if he is picked either.

Kessel's next step toward being a lease would be his first. Great player. Not a leader. Just let him play.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'd make it Komarov, but it'll more than likely be Bozak.

What would be awesome would be the aftermath of putting an 'A' on Gardiner.:laugh:

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
just give it to PHIL KESSEL
the most notable star on the team

i mean Pavel has one, because he's a good leader?
maybe, but mainly because he's the best player

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
just give it to PHIL KESSEL
the most notable star on the team

i mean Pavel has one, because he's a good leader?
maybe, but mainly because he's the best player

If you're talking about Datsyuk he has one because he leads by example. I'm sure he's not the most vocal guy in the room, but he does all the little things right. Not to mention having been a Red Wing for almost 15 years.

I think Robidas should get it, he'll be gone within 3 years, so he will give some of our kids (Rielly, JVR, Gardiner, or even Kadri) a chance to earn it down the road.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Has to go to Robidas, especially if Carlyle wants a defense first team. Plus Robidas gives that veteran leadership that Clarkson couldn't give.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
I'd give it to Clarkson and Bozak. For all the hate Clarkson gets he seems like a well liked guy by his teammates and a good guy in the locker room. The guy is always sticking up for team mates and plays a hard game. If only he can start putting up some decent numbers( which I think he will next year) he could be a tucker light for us.

BauerHOCKEY

Jun 21, 2011
Whitby, ON
Players in the room should vote on who represents them as Captain and Assistants.

This topic is useless for us to debate about as we have absolutely no idea what goes on in the room.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Kessel. He's been here a while and is a leader for the younger players. He's the best guy on our team, he deserves it imo.

I would give it to robidas because of his experience and he is a veteran, but he just came to the team. I don't know if someone who just got traded here should be called a leader of a team he hasn't played for yet. If he becomes a leader, he can get the A next season. But I don't mind if he gets it because of his experience. But I prefer phil.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The leaders on the team will lead regardless of whether a letter is on their jersey or not. These things always seem more for the fans than the team itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad