Wishlist

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
If EA actually peeked into this thread, or any other thread made by fans of the game, they would realize that making changes to stuff like GM mode would make most fans much happier than wasting all their time on 'new' AI that is just as easy to exploit as every other time they do 'new' AI.

Would probably be much easier and cheaper to do that too, as it really doesn't take near as much programming power to change the way a menu-based game mode works, rather than changing AI in live gameplay.

However, next year EA will throw out the exact same game with new rosters and a couple tiny little gameplay adjustments that they will claim to make the game incredibly more immersive, but will really just be more of the same. It's such a shame that I love gaming and I love hockey, which basically forces me to buy this game as it's the only one on the market.

I think they do have people read the threads on the actual EA NHL forums and pass some ideas on to the developers.

PookDo

Sep 7, 2008
Would love to see other players fight outose of me oh and Doc Emmerich and Don Cherry doing the play by play.The homologue erotic love between Gary Thorne and Bill Climenent is getting old.That and they seemed to have severe intestinal problems as they always discuss long dumps or hard dumpers.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Some things that annoy the living crap out of me in 12 that I'm betting haven't been fixed in 13 (offline gameplay, mostly)

Your AI defensemen never hit anyone
The whole battle in front of the net thing is incredibly annoying when you're trying to pass to someone in front and there are 4 players stuck together.
Your AI teammates don't go into the slot when you're looking to make a pass out from behind the net, they skate right next to the goalie and either get tied up by a defenseman or let the goalie poke check your pass away.
AI teammates skating right into shooting lanes when you have the puck at the point. I swear, I get maybe 2 or 3 clean point shots a game at most. It's incredibly frustrating to work the puck around, get a good look for a slap shot, wind up, let it go, and see your idiot forward skate straight into the path of the puck.
AI teammates being idiots on the PP and never skating anywhere. They all stand still the whole time. and it's stupidly easy for the CPU to clear the puck.
AI teammates literally NEVER attack the opposing team even if i call for a full out attack strategy because i'm down by one and have pulled the goalie at the end of the game

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If EA actually peeked into this thread, or any other thread made by fans of the game, they would realize that making changes to stuff like GM mode would make most fans much happier than wasting all their time on 'new' AI that is just as easy to exploit as every other time they do 'new' AI.

Would probably be much easier and cheaper to do that too, as it really doesn't take near as much programming power to change the way a menu-based game mode works, rather than changing AI in live gameplay.

However, next year EA will throw out the exact same game with new rosters and a couple tiny little gameplay adjustments that they will claim to make the game incredibly more immersive, but will really just be more of the same. It's such a shame that I love gaming and I love hockey, which basically forces me to buy this game as it's the only one on the market.

The problem is that they do peek into these sort of threads. Unfortunately they rarely take the major suggestions into consideration. Major changes are just that. The "add more jerseys" or "new music" or "broken sticks" or "check into the bench" suggestions are what's commonly referred to as "low hanging fruit" amongst product development teams. They're simple changes or additions that appeal to the audience, thus allowing you to legitimately claim that you "heard your fan base loud and clear" in all of your PR garbage.

They've added some good ideas, but unfortunately many of them were unrealized or slapped together. The way you can set your trade block is a good idea (partially because I suggested it last year ;) ) but it has too many bugs and issues to be really useful. If I say I want a 4th line center with good defensive attributes and 1 year left on his deal, I should get some offers. However, I should't have the same team offer me the same guy every day until the trade deadline even though I keep declining the offer. They got about 60% of the way there and stopped.

If this game is like 90% of software on the market today that has gone through multiple iterations, then it's likely a giant mash of spaghetti code that was written by "so and so" who was here for "like three months back in 2009" and "nobody knows why he did it that way or what it does." My hope is that when the next-gen platforms come out, they will overhaul this franchise like it needs to be overhauled. However, as much as I hate to say it, I can understand the situation they're likely in right now. Hey, EA. I'd love a job working on the UI for your next-gen NHL game! :laugh:

Qurpiz

Nudes in profile
Nov 5, 2006
- Revamp the Create a Team. It's been the same since I don't know, 08? It sucks
- IIHF licence. WJC and the ******* national team jerseys. *******.
- Ditto for the European teams. SM-Liiga has been horrible the last few years.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
A better soundtrack.

FIFA's is awesome, for example.

Oh come on. Don't complain about the songs they picked - the soundtrack is never going to please everyone. I hate it too, but they give you the option to use your own music in the game, for crying out loud. I started doing that NHL 12 and from now on I probably always will.

Even if you don't feel like going through all the work (which isn't very much) to put your own songs in the game, you can still turn off all the songs and listen to your own music through your iPod or whatever. No one is forcing you to listen to the ****** soundtrack.

/rantover

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Oh come on. Don't complain about the songs they picked - the soundtrack is never going to please everyone. I hate it too, but they give you the option to use your own music in the game, for crying out loud. I started doing that NHL 12 and from now on I probably always will.

Even if you don't feel like going through all the work (which isn't very much) to put your own songs in the game, you can still turn off all the songs and listen to your own music through your iPod or whatever. No one is forcing you to listen to the ****** soundtrack.

/rantover

Meh, I'm buying a game for all of its components. Sound is one of them. You can't just use the "use your own music" excuse for this.

And, quite frankly, when almost all the sports games made by the same company have far better soundtracks (with more songs), it makes this game look like the black sheep.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Meh, I'm buying a game for all of its components. Sound is one of them. You can't just use the "use your own music" excuse for this.

And, quite frankly, when almost all the sports games made by the same company have far better soundtracks (with more songs), it makes this game look like the black sheep.

Just saying, the soundtrack is not a big issue at all when you can change it yourself.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just saying, the soundtrack is not a big issue at all when you can change it yourself.

I don't have much faith in EA being able to change the bigger problems with the NHL series, so I'm going for small victories here.

They need a new project manager who can prioritize needs better. It isn't a coincidence that since Littman left NHL and went to FIFA, the fortunes of each series have gone in opposite directions.

DaIlYNhL

Jan 15, 2013
-WJC in Be a Pro
-KHL
-New hitting engine (not just throwing your arms out)
-Better Scouting
-Classic Teams
-All-Star draft
-Full All-Star weekend (Skills competition)
-Olympics (during the Olympic break it chooses best players of season for each country and you choose which one you want to play as)
-Potential system isn't random
More realistic be a pro (like in NBA 2K 13 your guy can get a shoe sponser (but it would be skates) and interviews after games
DON'T DISSAPOINT EA!

DaIlYNhL

Jan 15, 2013
They also need the real Olympic jerseys not just the stupid ones with the main Colour with the flag

illidan432

Aug 13, 2011
Better fighting, similar to NHL 2005 or something like that where you started seperate and could grab each other or just punch.

Better commentary.

Also better trade AIs. These ones are stingy as hell.

ficohok*

Little OT, i would like to see Ea NHL Manager series, just like FIFA manager, that would be so cooool:)

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
i'm sick of the fact that it always seems to take prospects until they're in their mid 20's to even become serviceable 4th liners. it's rare to find a guy that can make your nhl roster at 23 even if they were a top 10 pick. that's a problem.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Some details :

Bring back players faces you took off (Vanek, Tanguay...)
Put some new ones (FIFA may have 70 % of real faces)
better soundtrack
European leagues real jersey (and not the one who look like 80's CCM)
KHL (would be awesome but it will never happens)
Put back the real arena pictures while the screen is loading before starting a game (just like NHL98 i think)
UP TO DATE ROSTERS PLEASE
Arena licences (Isles, Canes, Blues, Sharks...)
More up to date equipement (new ccm stick, new bauer helmet)
Real goalie's mask

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
i'm sick of the fact that it always seems to take prospects until they're in their mid 20's to even become serviceable 4th liners. it's rare to find a guy that can make your nhl roster at 23 even if they were a top 10 pick. that's a problem.

I don't have this problem at all.

Prospects normally are eligible to play in the AHL at 20 years old.

Play them for 2 solid years in the AHL, giving them top minutes, and they are normally NHL ready by 22 or 23. Stars by 25 or 26. Seems to be the standard with pretty much every first round pick I select. Occasionally I have to leave someone down in the AHL at 22 or 23, but that's normally because I don't have room on my roster and they normally tear up the AHL at that point.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
In Be a GM, it would be nice to know what players intend to reach free agency.

It's annoying clearing cap at the deadline, and looking forward to landing a key piece in free agency, and then getting there and realizing that Tim Connolly is the best center available, and that Jordan Leopold is the best defenseman available.

Awful and very annoying.

If you can find out early what players are intending to reach free agency (maybe like a rating? How likely a player is about to go to free agent?)

ficohok*

Some details :

Bring back players faces you took off (Vanek, Tanguay...)
Put some new ones (FIFA may have 70 % of real faces)
better soundtrack
European leagues real jersey (and not the one who look like 80's CCM)
KHL (would be awesome but it will never happens)
Put back the real arena pictures while the screen is loading before starting a game (just like NHL98 i think)
UP TO DATE ROSTERS PLEASE
Arena licences (Isles, Canes, Blues, Sharks...)
More up to date equipement (new ccm stick, new bauer helmet)
Real goalie's mask

Czech clubs I think have "real" jerseys...

Dragon Priest

Elvenlegions
Nov 8, 2007
Metalheaven
Some things that annoy the living crap out of me in 12 that I'm betting haven't been fixed in 13 (offline gameplay, mostly)

Your AI defensemen never hit anyone
The whole battle in front of the net thing is incredibly annoying when you're trying to pass to someone in front and there are 4 players stuck together.
Your AI teammates don't go into the slot when you're looking to make a pass out from behind the net, they skate right next to the goalie and either get tied up by a defenseman or let the goalie poke check your pass away.
AI teammates skating right into shooting lanes when you have the puck at the point. I swear, I get maybe 2 or 3 clean point shots a game at most. It's incredibly frustrating to work the puck around, get a good look for a slap shot, wind up, let it go, and see your idiot forward skate straight into the path of the puck.
AI teammates being idiots on the PP and never skating anywhere. They all stand still the whole time. and it's stupidly easy for the CPU to clear the puck.
AI teammates literally NEVER attack the opposing team even if i call for a full out attack strategy because i'm down by one and have pulled the goalie at the end of the game

You hit the nail right on the head. I couldn't agree more. Just played it (NHL 13) and had this happen to me and its so frustrating that it makes it somewhat unplayable to me. I can't even begin to describe the frustration I get over playing this game.

However, I feel NHL 13 was a step in the right direction and better than NHL 11 and NHL 12. But just some of the stuff that goes on in game play is down right stupid, frustrating, and unrealistic.

Dragon Priest

Elvenlegions
Nov 8, 2007
Metalheaven
In Be a GM, it would be nice to know what players intend to reach free agency.

It's annoying clearing cap at the deadline, and looking forward to landing a key piece in free agency, and then getting there and realizing that Tim Connolly is the best center available, and that Jordan Leopold is the best defenseman available.

Awful and very annoying.

If you can find out early what players are intending to reach free agency (maybe like a rating? How likely a player is about to go to free agent?)

This happened to me too. I was getting all pumped for free agency in my BAGM with Pittsburgh to make a run at someone like Corey Perry, Jarome Iginla, Brendan Morrow or Alex Edler and when free agency rolled around, the best forward I think was Ryane Clowe and best defensemen was Ron Hainsey. I think Jimmy Howard was available too. Funny you mention Tim Connolly because I had him and let him go to free agency along with Pascal Dupuis (for the reasons you mention above) and Connolly ended up being one of the best free agents available. I ended up signing Dustin Penner to a one year deal as a stop-gate with hopes that guys like Thomas Vanek, Marian Gaborik, Ales Hemsky or Jay Bouwmeester will become available next offseason. I'm only in year 2 and they all are scheduled to be UFAs at seasons end. But judging by my latest experience and yours, this is unlikely to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad