Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
@Duchene2MacKinnon What are your thoughts on Rodrigo De Paul? Saw a link to Arsenal for the winter transfer window. I know he has been decent for Udinese but nothing more than that.
He isn't a world beater by any stretch of imagination. He's also used differently for club and country. From what I know at Udinese he's in a more offensive role. I think he's also the captain. For the NT team he's a CM there to provide more defence than offence. What you will get though is a work horse. A player that plays on the edge and isn't a stranger to getting yellow cards because of it. A ball hound which will make him a favourite if expectations are realistic.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Noooo

Garre 2.0 I guess. Shame because he’s hyped up to be a real talent.

City has at least been giving young players more of a chance lately, so we'll see if they give him a chance if they buy him. Still not the best location for a 17 year old.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
City has at least been giving young players more of a chance lately, so we'll see if they give him a chance if they buy him. Still not the best location for a 17 year old.
It will never sit well with me when big teams go after such young players. I can't think of any prospects making the jump and then doing well. I mean its better than Russia/USA which has plagued Argentinean prospects recently. Still though the blue print needs to always be mid table sides in Serie A/La liga or teams in Portugal/Netherlands/France. This should always be the case.

Come to think of it even for City this move doesn't make sense. They still have enough wingers that its not an immediate need as opposed to an out an out striker. Sure you can argue that signing Dario isn't to fill a need now but one for the future. However there's more proven talents in Argentina alone not to risk so much money on an unknown product. Almada who they were pressing for in the summer. De la Vega who's bossed every game this season are just a couple. Mind you I hope they get nothing.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It will never sit well with me when big teams go after such young players. I can't think of any prospects making the jump and then doing well. I mean its better than Russia/USA which has plagued Argentinean prospects recently. Still though the blue print needs to always be mid table sides in Serie A/La liga or teams in Portugal/Netherlands/France. This should always be the case.
A club like Chelsea certainly deserves criticism for some of their youth recruitment practices, but at least they have a good track record for developing them, they have just historically not given many chances at Chelsea. They've certainly made a lot of money on buying cheap youth prospects, developing them, then loaning and selling them since they have world class training and development facilities. They tend to loan a lot to the places you've mentioned as well, which has been smart business. It's certainly not the club a prospect should go to if they want playing time at the club though, and most other big teams do a much worse job at this so players definitely shouldn't go there.

If you're a young prospect looking for playing time in a quality league for the club you signed with, I agree with your list. I'd add top end clubs in Belgium as well, they have a good track record with 17-22 year olds.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m not sure of his background or the details of the deal. But I could understand how a deal like this would make him a ton of money and help his family financially. He seems like a guy that’s talented enough that he could bet on himself and play somewhere better for his development, but sometimes taking the guaranteed money makes sense for his personal life.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He isn't a world beater by any stretch of imagination. He's also used differently for club and country. From what I know at Udinese he's in a more offensive role. I think he's also the captain. For the NT team he's a CM there to provide more defence than offence. What you will get though is a work horse. A player that plays on the edge and isn't a stranger to getting yellow cards because of it. A ball hound which will make him a favourite if expectations are realistic.
I get the sense he is wanted as a B2B mf with some much needed technical abilities to go with it. Overall I like the sound of him and from the highlights I watched he is solid. Also strikes me as a good budget transfer move that's relatively low risk.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
A club like Chelsea certainly deserves criticism for some of their youth recruitment practices, but at least they have a good track record for developing them, they have just historically not given many chances at Chelsea. They've certainly made a lot of money on buying cheap youth prospects, developing them, then loaning and selling them since they have world class training and development facilities. They tend to loan a lot to the places you've mentioned as well, which has been smart business. It's certainly not the club a prospect should go to if they want playing time at the club though, and most other big teams do a much worse job at this so players definitely shouldn't go there.

If you're a young prospect looking for playing time in a quality league for the club you signed with, I agree with your list. I'd add top end clubs in Belgium as well, they have a good track record with 17-22 year olds.
Belgium is another your right but I try to be as realistic as possible. I don't know of any Argentina prospects who've gone there. Hell France, Netherlands and Russa/USA thats' been new too.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I’m not sure of his background or the details of the deal. But I could understand how a deal like this would make him a ton of money and help his family financially. He seems like a guy that’s talented enough that he could bet on himself and play somewhere better for his development, but sometimes taking the guaranteed money makes sense for his personal life.
Yeah, for sure most of them are not exactly coming from privileged backgrounds I understand the need to make as much guaranteed money as possible but I hope they surround themselves with people that are looking for their best interests not just finically. A lot of players from Argentina their only way out of poverty is this stupid game. Its sad and understandable but still sucks as a fan.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I get the sense he is wanted as a B2B mf with some much needed technical abilities to go with it. Overall I like the sound of him and from the highlights I watched he is solid. Also strikes me as a good budget transfer move that's relatively low risk.
Thats a good way of looking at it. Depending on price it could be a good option. I don't think he's all that special and Arsenal shouldn't view him as such.

Reactions: robertmac43

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Belgium is another your right but I try to be as realistic as possible. I don't know of any Argentina prospects who've gone there. Hell France, Netherlands and Russa/USA thats' been new too.
Yea I'm not familiar with any Argentinian prospects who have gone to Belgium, but it should be an option as they do have a good record for development at Anderlecht, Genk, Club Brugge, etc. France, the Netherlands, Portugal, etc. are all very good development leagues as well.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, for sure most of them are not exactly coming from privileged backgrounds I understand the need to make as much guaranteed money as possible but I hope they surround themselves with people that are looking for their best interests not just finically. A lot of players from Argentina their only way out of poverty is this stupid game. Its sad and understandable but still sucks as a fan.
Like I said, I feel like he's a dude that could take a couple seasons at an Ajax with less money before moving to a bigger club. But I do get sometimes getting guaranteed money is very important for these guys and their families.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

What?
Chelsea has bought hundreds of the best prospects out there in a dozen years and have developed less than can be counted on one hand.
I honestly can't see ho you think they have a good track record at developing youngsters.

Reactions: AB13

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What would Chelsea's home grown track record even consist of? They have some good players come through the ranks but I wouldn't have them high up in the developmental rankings of teams.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What would Chelsea's home grown track record even consist of? They have some good players come through the ranks but I wouldn't have them high up in the developmental rankings of teams.

RLC, Abraham, Tomori, James, and Frank’s son would be their recent track record. Before then, I had read that they didn’t have any youth player stick as a important first team player since John Terry broke through.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
RLC, Abraham, Tomori, James, and Frank’s son would be their recent track record. Before then, I had read that they didn’t have any youth player stick as a important first team player since John Terry broke through.
Definitely some potential in that crop but nothing too crazy imo.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You don't actually believe this
I am not sure if I can continue with this subject because it was part of the Arsenal discussion (@Halladay delete this post if deemed inappropriate). However, what I mean by that is Inter Milan is Murray's Law FC of the footballing world, for any good move they make it never gets capitalised on. They bought Lukaku last year, he scores 23 goals and they lose on The Scudetto by one point. They're 4th in their CL group which features Mon'gladbach and a random Ukrainian team. They're 2nd in Serie A, in a year where AC Milan is 1st and undefeated....this is AC Milan we're talking about here, West Ham of Italia. They have Vidal, they have Hakimi, they have Perisic, they have Barella, they have Brozovic, they have de Vrij, they have Handanovic, and they have the best Martinez in the world. Their starting XI would be one of the best 3-4 in the EPL easily yet got nothing to ever show for it. Think about it, they have these players and they're currently not even on the path to make Europa.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Alasdair Gold reports that Spurs are only looking to sign someone if an "opportunity" pops up in January. Not much pressure because Mou is happy with the squad.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This is Chelsea "development". Quite clearly nothing else than trying to get around FFP by loading the club up with assets.

And yes they have adjusted in later years, but they are hardly anything special in terms of developing players. As everyone else they get lucky from time to time.

qY1POhe.png

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Arsenal are assessing whether to sign Dominik Szoboszlai in January, with a more experienced option being considered as Arteta looks to fill the creativity void with proven Premier League pedigree. A move for Inter's Christian Eriksen is also being weighed up. [@ChrisWheatley_]

Sounds worrying

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal are assessing whether to sign Dominik Szoboszlai in January, with a more experienced option being considered as Arteta looks to fill the creativity void with proven Premier League pedigree. A move for Inter's Christian Eriksen is also being weighed up. [@ChrisWheatley_]

Sounds worrying
It would be the most Arsenalian move to want Szoboszlai, but go for Eriksen because of "experience" and "cost".

Seems that Konate is still one of our most ideal targets that Arteta wants, not sure how much that would cost though.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It would be the most Arsenalian move to want Szoboszlai, but go for Eriksen because of "experience" and "cost".

Seems that Konate is still one of our most ideal targets that Arteta wants, not sure how much that would cost though.

Konate is not where our priorities should be. Just play Saliba and go for an athletic deep lying playmaker / ball progressor that can play alongside Partey and Szoboszlai. Partey is our only top half level midfielder. Throw 30 million at Soumare. That is the area of the team where we are worst, and also the most important area on the pitch.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Konate is not where our priorities should be. Just play Saliba and go for an athletic deep lying playmaker / ball progressor that can play alongside Partey and Szoboszlai. Partey is our only top half level midfielder. Throw 30 million at Soumare. That is the area of the team where we are worst, and also the most important area on the pitch.
30M won’t get you Soumare. It would probably be closer to 50M just based on the demand for a player that level at that age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad