Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
What about Stingers? Or Tomcats? Thought I saw it somewhere (the other thread?) where someone suggested naming the team after a fighter jet, then you still have a Winnipeg "Jets" team, but with a new name...

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
What about Stingers? Or Tomcats? Thought I saw it somewhere (the other thread?) where someone suggested naming the team after a fighter jet, then you still have a Winnipeg "Jets" team, but with a new name...

If you want this then I think Falcons is a good bet. Not only is the F-16 one of the most well know fighter jets ever but the Winnipeg Falcons are a previous hockey team that is best well known for winning the first ever Olympic Gold medal for hockey at the 1920 winter games.

If not the Jets then Falcons gets my vote.

The Cleveland Browns were a team established in 1946 and had won Championships. Not something that can be said about the Jets.

The Washington Senators moved to Minnesota in 1960 and became the Twins. A year later there was an expansion team called the Washington Senators. The new team had no link to the records of the old team. Just same name, same colors, slightly different logo. The Twins to this day still recognize all the records from the old Senators, who , by the way, won one world title in 60 years. About as fruitless as the NHL Jets.

Also, the New Washington Senators left DC in 1972 and became the Texas Rangers. So maybe there is something to be said about a new name and new identity.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
If you want this then I think Falcons is a good bet. Not only is the F-16 one of the most well know fighter jets ever but the Winnipeg Falcons are a previous hockey team that is best well known for winning the first ever Olympic Gold medal for hockey at the 1920 winter games.

If not the Jets then Falcons gets my vote.

Canadian military doesn't use Falcons, though. CF-18's...those are Hornets.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Also, plenty of teams honor their city's previous franchises despite no longer being the same franchise:

The Brewers have Hank Aaron's #44 retired, despite the fact that he was a Milwaukee Brave for 11 seasons.

The Mets don't issue #24 because that's Willie Mays' number. He played 20 years for the Giants (6 in New York), and two half-seasons with the Mets. The only other guy they've given #24 to was Rickey Henderson, who as a HOF himself, earned it. You have to be a HOF to get #24 from the Mets. They also have a memorial for Jackie Robinson of the Brooklyn Dodgers in their park.

Washington Nationals have a wall commemorating all the Washington Senators greats, despite the fact that they're the Expos franchise; and the Sens are in TEX and MIN.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Your love of your team isn't determined by how many championships you win.

That wasn't my point. I was just saying that the Browns organization stayed with the name because it had a lot of history behind it, much less than the Jets had.

Retail1LO*

Raptors was chosen by a fan voting contest, right at the height of the first Jurassic Park movie. That was a marketing goldmine.

I believe Nashville's name was chose through a fan vote too.

If they went off fan vote in Winnipeg, we all know what the team name would be. It's as simple as that.

JackBurton

Jun 30, 2010
I believe Nashville's name was chose through a fan vote too.

If they went off fan vote in Winnipeg, we all know what the team name would be. It's as simple as that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Nashville's vote came down to "Predators" or "Ice Tigers" or something like that.

EDIT:According to Wikipedia, it was Ice Tigers, Fury, Attack and Predators. They made the right call.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Not exactly a name that's aged well...

I STILL cringe at that name (mind you I don't know if one of the choices I liked better, "The Lynx" would have been much better, but there are Lynx in Canada at least!

EDIT: having said that, by dictionary definition, a "Raptor' is also a bird of prey, so techinically they could put like a Red Tailed Falcon as the animal it would still work.

Or a Canada Goose ;)

Retail1LO*

If memory serves, "Maple Leafs" were named after a military regiment, were they not?

They were. It's a BEAUTIFUL name. Anyone who has the nerve and audacity to criticize the Leafs, especially having done zero research beforehand, is the kind of person I'm ashamed to have as a fan of the NHL. I guess if people would do a little homework before they speak badly of a given moniker, it would save a lot of folks a degree of embarrassment.

JackBurton

Jun 30, 2010
So... Winnipeg Shirtless Vampires? :sarcasm:

Don't get me wrong. I didn't and still don't like the name Raptors very much. But in terms of selling a new team in a new city, choosing a trendy pop-culture subjects isn't a bad way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad