Winnipeg Jets History

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

FBgEjVmVQAUEDT9

FBgEjVmVQAY4FnR

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
This Free Press story from 2015 has been cited before & holds no weight against the video evidence that exists and the actual newspaper stories from the era where no mention of wearing white to games ever occurred. Six years ago Kirby took a lot of heat for the very article you are quoting.

If you have a library card its easy to log in to the newspaper archives and search for key words or take the time to read the sports coverage for a few weeks.

I have. There's nothing there.

I was in grade 10 in 1985 & as a big a fan of our Jets as anyone. If any push was made to wear white I'd have been covered from head to foot in white garb. Family pictures of friends over for games or shots of us as we went out to sit in our cheap 7-11 seats a stones throw from the Queen's face have us wearing Jets garb of no particular colour.

Fast forward to 1987 & its a sea of white.

I do however remember the "Good Guys Wear White" tag line. When I get home & have some time I'll throw that into the Newspaper Archives search engine and see what comes up. There will certainly be a reference to it where it'll be simple to ascertain what year that slogan originated.

Not to mention that the CBC and Global ran stories in 2015, and 2018 contradicting the Free Press flawed version of events. It was Rod Palson who came up with the idea for fans to wear white in 1987. So there is one Free Press writer pushing a false narrative of the Whiteout origins, for unknown reasons:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-jets-whiteout-1.4616171

https://globalnews.ca/news/4143600/...t-creator-shares-story-behind-the-phenomenon/

Before the face paint, the wacky wigs and the costumes, the White Out started as a simple way to show Calgary Flames fans Winnipeg Jets pride.

70c8fc80

In 1987, the Jets were in a playoff series against the Flames and the Winnipeg team needed an edge.

“Calgary had started to make a bit of a statement with their fans wearing red and the Jets’ marketing department clearly wanted to come up with something that would have a good solid response,” Rod Palson former creative director at Palmer Jarvis Communications, the advertising agency that held the Jets contract.

“When I got to the meeting, they had already started talking about the primary colours of the jersey at that time, which were red, white and blue and they were contemplating encouraging fans to wear any one of those colours,” Palson said.
“So after some thought I threw out the idea that why don’t we make it real simple and encourage people to wear white. Not only would it be unique and powerful, it would be very easy.”

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
And as for your debunking the fact that there was a one-day promotion for everyone to wear white in 85, Once again I will take the word of people that actually worked for the organization during that period of time over your library research.

Do you understand he got quotes from people that actually worked for the organization in 1985?

Or are you saying that he made those quotes up?

Geoff Kirbyson is wrong, and simply cannot own up to it. His journalistic integrity has taken a hit, among die-hard Jets fans as a result. In an ideal World, the media would check their egos at the door, and concentrate on the accuracy in which they report. This is not unique to the Free Press. Look no further than the American media for reference. It could be said that most people in North America just do not trust reporters.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Which Winnipeg Jets will be inducted into the club's ring of honor?

IMHO, it has to be Selanne, and within 5 years.

I am so glad they honored Dale Hawerchuk 3 years before he passed away.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Ugh...don't remind me! :laugh:

Mostly I don't want to be reminded that it was 40 years ago since I can remember it really well. It was just like a bad joke after a while. Everything seemed to go in.

I remember the Jets scoring 7 unanswered goals in the 3rd period to beat the Cleveland Crusaders by 9-4 once. That period was just like the whole Minnesota game.

Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad