Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
More of a team thing than players specifically.
I don’t think the defensive numbers are going to be as good as last season.
Can Hellebucyk keep up the fantastic performances this year as well?
We go as far as he takes us.
How will the backup goalie be?
I feel that Dillon is a loss of toughness on the backend.
It was just himself and Lowry with bite.
Ehlers… if he isn’t here we will be worse off.
I’m just not sure we will be 100+ points again.
One thing that could help immensely is special teams.
Arniel is he up to the task?
I think it’s a step back this season.
I think the fact that the Central is probably closer in terms of competition than it has been in years, and teams in the West made moves to improve will lead to a natural regression, unless Lambert is top 5 for Calder and/or Perfetti has a rebound season. Chevy can shuffle the deck if he wants to, but other than getting bigger and younger on defense there's not a lot of change...which isn't necessarily bad, if players feel like they have something to prove this year.

Arniel's 1st season as Jets coach, I think the expectations are definitely not as high last year. But playoffs should be a reasonable expectation...there is some depth to work with.

Timbit about Arniel...He won the Turner Cup with the Utah Grizzlies in 1996, before joining the Moose the following season, their inaugural one.

That team was coached by Butch Goring, who had Chevy as his assistant.

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii
I think the fact that the Central is probably closer in terms of competition than it has been in years, and teams in the West made moves to improve will lead to a natural regression, unless Lambert is top 5 for Calder and/or Perfetti has a rebound season. Chevy can shuffle the deck if he wants to, but other than getting bigger and younger on defense there's not a lot of change...which isn't necessarily bad, if players feel like they have something to prove this year.

Arniel's 1st season as Jets coach, I think the expectations are definitely not as high last year. But playoffs should be a reasonable expectation...there is some depth to work with.

Timbit about Arniel...He won the Turner Cup with the Utah Grizzlies in 1996, before joining the Moose the following season, their inaugural one.

Holy coaching carousel choices Batman!
It’s like they’re constantly choosing friends from previous iterations of the old team!

Reactions: Eyeseeing

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Holy coaching carousel choices Batman!
It’s like they’re constantly choosing friends from previous iterations of the old team!

Arny is a close friend of Chipman’s and was hired as an assistant before we picked Bones, that is the most likely connection. Arny also was friends with Bones.

Either way I wish Scott good luck because we know he isn’t getting fired no matter how bad it gets. :laugh:

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Jets were fine under Arniel while Bones was out last season. I think that shows that players have a certain amount of respect for Scotty in that room. Had the Jets taken a bunch of losses in those games I'd be more worried. Unless Arniel wants to change all the systems dramatically, I'd expect we'll have a really good idea of what this team will be by mid November.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com

Next you're going to say that Chevy's favourite movie is Tremors and all this is connected to Kevin Bacon...:sarcasm:

Just kidding, it's a slow work day...😯

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought this was an interesting article. Some stats behind it from Money Puck.

I think the lineup has some merit. Lambert is probably the x factor...one thing to watch is Kupari as the PB forward...that's a hard role for any young player, and both Stanley and Gus have had to do it. Often players in that role asked to be traded, especially if AHL guys start passing them too.

Well they don't even know the proper status of players lol. Perfetti isn't a UFA and will almost assuredly sign lol.

I'd prefer trying either Perfetti/Vilardi at 2C then Namestnikov. Don't really want Gus as 4C full time. Wouldn't mind trying a more offensive 4th line to get Lambert in the door.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well they don't even know the proper status of players lol. Perfetti isn't a UFA and will almost assuredly sign lol.

I'd prefer trying either Perfetti/Vilardi at 2C then Namestnikov. Don't really want Gus as 4C full time. Wouldn't mind trying a more offensive 4th line to get Lambert in the door.
Somebody's got to win faceoffs. Gustafsson was 52% I think last year...I don't mind a good defensive 4th line. Because I think Lowry and Nino are players who can generate offense with strong forechecks if you give them some starts at the other end of the rink.

It was interesting to read that the proposed 2nd line scored 11 to 6 against as a line, I think the expected goals were even higher with Vilardi instead of Perfetti on that line...Namestnikov is a sneaky good skater in the Hinz sense. I like any line that can outscore opponents. Potential is there...always have to make adjustments as a coach.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Somebody's got to win faceoffs. Gustafsson was 52% I think last year...I don't mind a good defensive 4th line. Because I think Lowry and Nino are players who can generate offense with strong forechecks if you give them some starts at the other end of the rink.

It was interesting to read that the proposed 2nd line scored 11 to 6 against as a line, I think the expected goals were even higher with Vilardi instead of Perfetti on that line...Namestnikov is a sneaky good skater in the Hinz sense. I like any line that can outscore opponents. Potential is there...always have to make adjustments as a coach.

The Vilardi sample size on that line is incredibly small though so hard to read much. Honestly swap Ehelrs and KC for me if that's the setup. Perfetti and fly fill largely the same function albeit very differently. Have Schiefele and KC be the primary triggermans on their own lines.

I'm fine with keeping Name on line two but I think they need to transition to a long term center option. Have him groom and slowly seed the center responsibility throughout the year.

If you want better faceoffs no way should Name be inked in at C then. He's likely not going to improve at his age but with a lot of practice one of the younger guys could.

As for line 4, Arneil himself indicated he wanted more offense from the group and indicated wanting speed. One way to do that is a more offensive minded fourth if the Lowry line will still be playing minutes as a checking unit.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
The Vilardi sample size on that line is incredibly small though so hard to read much. Honestly swap Ehelrs and KC for me if that's the setup. Perfetti and fly fill largely the same function albeit very differently. Have Schiefele and KC be the primary triggermans on their own lines.

I'm fine with keeping Name on line two but I think they need to transition to a long term center option. Have him groom and slowly seed the center responsibility throughout the year.

If you want better faceoffs no way should Name be inked in at C then. He's likely not going to improve at his age but with a lot of practice one of the younger guys could.

As for line 4, Arneil himself indicated he wanted more offense from the group and indicated wanting speed. One way to do that is a more offensive minded fourth if the Lowry line will still be playing minutes as a checking unit.
Elhers-Vlad-Villardi played 11:34 total together as a line. Any stats from an 11 min sample are completely irrelevant, but I wouldn't mind seeing Cole on the first line with Scheif and Villardi on the second.

Cole has had good success over the last couple of years with KFC and with Scheif..

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

There's always different ways to solve a problem...I think it's very rare to have static lines. If you have a kid like Lambert in the lineup he could play anywhere from 16 minutes a night to 6...I could see him being an option to play in the top 6 at times, especially if Vilardi struggles to stay healthy...Namestnikov is another one who can play 2nd to 4th line. The thing is he won a lot of matchups he was in last year regardless of deployment...I think he is more of a true centre if playing in the neutral/d zones on a shift then anyone else being mentioned. Might be a good mentor for Lambert or Chibrikov. FOs really don't matter a ton in the offensive zone, and Vilardi, Perfetti and Lambert could all get turns at the dot there. Defensive zone/PK I think Barron can improve in FOs and Gus has, which takes some pressure off. Chibrikov is a draft year behind Perfetti so maybe he could steal a 4th line spot, with some PP time...I think there's more than one option at Arniel's discretion...the predictability of who is going to rise this year is tough, but you would think those guys in their contract years will be hungry, might have a little more to give in the regular season. Rooks too.

A little surprised by that statement on the 4th line from Arniel, given how good the 4th lines were last year, especially Iafallo-Barron-Namestnikov. I think improvement in both special teams would be the key to team success, but I'm sure a little more offensive punch brings in more fans than the grind.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Kupari is entering the second year of his contract with the Jets. Any reason to expect he will contribute more given a full off-season as a Jet?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Kupari is entering the second year of his contract with the Jets. Any reason to expect he will contribute more given a full off-season as a Jet?
I have a hard time pencilling him into the starting roster... Gus took real strides last year as a defensive minded forward and deserves a PK role/4th line C and Lambert deserves a shot before Kupari too

Kupari is fast but he seems comparable to AJF so far...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Dom L from The Athletic wrote an article detailing what he believes are the ten worst contracts in the league. Our boy Scheifele placed 6th, higher than such greats like Darnell Nurse, Seth Jones, and PL Dubois. Also fun to note Chandler Stephenson and his freshly-signed seven-year contract worth $6.3M annually is already on the list.

Reactions: hn777

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Dom L from The Athletic wrote an article detailing what he believes are the ten worst contracts in the league. Our boy Scheifele placed 6th, higher than such greats like Darnell Nurse, Seth Jones, and PL Dubois. Also fun to note Chandler Stephenson and his freshly-signed seven-year contract worth $6.3M annually is already on the list.

Don’t worry, in two years it could be on the ten best value contacts just like Morrissey!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Did he use a model?

• Haha
Reactions: WolfHouse

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Did he use a model?
Yes, he did. His model had him at $5.3M x seven years.

Basically, to sum it up, here's what he had to say:

- Scheifele is worth $8.5M offensively, but his defensive game is so bad it takes away from that. He's a low-end top-line option

- Scheifele being the Jets best forward is a big reason why the Jets are first-round fodder, he doesn't stack up well against the rest of the game's elite, and doubling-down with him is going to cost the Jets moving forward

- His offence is largely "empty calories" because he gives so much back defensively despite getting secondary matchups

- He's 31, so things are likely to get worse

- If his offence dries up, it's an albatross

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB

Basically, to some it up, here's what he had to say:

- Scheifele is worth $8.5M offensively, but his defensive game is so bad it takes away from that. He's a low-end top-line option

- Scheifele being the Jets best forward is a big reason why the Jets are first-round fodder, he doesn't stack up well against the rest of the game's elite, and doubling-down with him is going to cost the Jets moving forward

- His offence is largely "empty calories" because he gives so much back defensively despite getting secondary matchups

Yep, read the article and not a single thing I could disagree with in evaluating Scheifele’s contract vs. actual/projected value.

That contract and cap hit will stink at some point. “How soon” and “how bad” are the only questions left.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm not Scheif's biggest fanboy but cmon...

Basically, to some it up, here's what he had to say:

Well that's depressing

• Haha
Reactions: Gil Fisher

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Basically, to sum it up, here's what he had to say:

i don't disagree w/ a lot of this. w/o ehlers he's an even to negative at 5v5. the top-line getting the majority of the minutes, while barely treading water at net goals imo doesn't bode well. & it's even worse when you factor in they have a generational regular-season goaltender behind them.

a stronger all-around top-line probably has his value vs contract looking much better.

i just hate the conclusion "worst contract" as if over X amount of years a player may be good some years, average others, bad a few etc. folks laughed at numerous players contracts (ie: JT Miller, and Draisaitl come to mind) and those are considered bargains now. things change swiftly.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Weird I have not heard anyone talk about Scheifele's "bad" contract but I sure hear a lot about Nurse's killer contract.
Without Scheifele in the lineup Jets don't make the playoffs in fact I don't think the Jets 2.0 have ever won a playoff game without Scheifele in the lineup.
Scheifele is the only center on the team plus he is the leading point scorer so how is that a bad contract?
Maybe if the Jets had more than one top 4 defenseman Scheifele defensive numbers would be a lot better. I have seen numerous times Scheifele steps on the ice and a goal is scored and it counts towards his "bad" defensive play yet he was never in the play.
Nurse on the other hand is what the 3rd or 4th best defenseman on the Oilers but is the highest paid to me that's a bad contract.
Maybe in 4 or 5 years Scheifele's contract will be bad but right now it is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad