Winnipeg Jets are tied for the 7th longest winning streak (reg season) of all time

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Your right. The Oilers beat the team that destroyed the Avs that destroyed the Jets.
Now that we cleared this up how about addressing my point.
Celebrating 14 wins over 2 seasons with a massive PO lost in the first round sandwiched in-between this 6 game streak is ridiculous.
BTW I've been a Jet fan since 1972.

Is someone celebrating?

Uh, no... you can't say "no matter how you view it" in this case, because if you view it so that streaks are reset when seasons change, then this way of viewing it would invalidate the streak.

And I feel this way about it, by the way. Everything resets when the season changes.

You are completely entitled to view it however you want to view it. The fact is that the Winnipeg Jets have won 14 straight regular season hockey games.

Unless it broke/breaks the record, who gives a shit??

11th?? Big f***ing deal

Might as well just give em’ the Cup while we’re at it…

Ackshually they're up to a tie for 7th now.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Why don't we just talk about the biggest streaks to start a season? Seems like an actual record.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Why don't we just talk about the biggest streaks to start a season? Seems like an actual record.
It's 10. If the Jets were to break the record in the OP, they would also tie that record, at which point certain posters in this thread will find something else to whine about.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Is this a thing that the league/statisticians keep track of? It's a nice stat but I've never been a fan of "bridge" streaks, winning or losing. New season, new streak. What happened last season is part of last season's record. I just consider them to have a 5 game winning streak.
It counts for the Iron Man streaks players have, so why not wins as well?

Well how bout that
Been a solid team for a long time, but lacking that last bit of juice to get to the finals. They always seem to go for these rental middle 6 forwards at the deadline but I think more drastic action like shelling out for a top pairing dman would be the better approach.
Ok, now find one that is willing to forgo their no trade clause or sign as an FA to go there. Not so easy and Chevy does a brilliant job with what he has to work with. Mist likley the hardest GM job in the league

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It counts for the Iron Man streaks players have, so why not wins as well?

Ok, now find one that is willing to forgo their no trade clause or sign as an FA to go there. Not so easy and Chevy does a brilliant job with what he has to work with. Mist likley the hardest GM job in the league
Because iron man streaks, by their nature, extend across many seasons. We don't count goal scoring streaks across seasons. The 50 in 50 streak starts fresh at the new season.

New season, new roster, new streak imo.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Because iron man streaks, by their nature, extend across many seasons. We don't count goal scoring streaks across seasons. The 50 in 50 streak starts fresh at the new season.

New season, new roster, new streak imo.
All the OP did was simply state a fact.

And that fact is the Jets have won their last 14 regular season games. Do with that info what you will, but it is indeed a fact.

You are the one calling it a ‘streak’. Nowhere in OP’s post did it mention that word.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

If you so desperately don't want to read this thread, there is a very simple solution that reduces the amount of whining people in this thread have to read by 100%.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I do not give a shit if we win the cup or not . When I go to the games I like to be entertained . The Jets have been fun to watch more often than not so I feel I'm getting my moneys worth . I don't really put a lot into streaks either but will ride it while I can . Woot Woot !!!!

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The Jets got destroyed by the AVs in the POs that were then destroyed by the Oilers. Lets not plan the SC parade just yet after 6 games.
wait ... lol do you think me saying they'll be a home seed to start playoffs equals they will win the Stanley Cup IN the playoffs? you just assumed those were the same things, and charged ahead? ahahaha cmon man

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Just happy for the start this year. They'll lose their fair share of games for sure, but it's nice to bank some points early in the year.

The across 2 seasons angle is a little wonky as so many things change, but it's interesting from a stat perspective. Rather have a good "in season" streak for sure.

Reactions: Bender Duster

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I do not give a shit if we win the cup or not . When I go to the games I like to be entertained . The Jets have been fun to watch more often than not so I feel I'm getting my moneys worth . I don't really put a lot into streaks either but will ride it while I can . Woot Woot !!!!
This is a very valid point, and one that most people overlook or ignore.

Yes, I fully realize that regular season success doesn't always translate into playoff success, in hockey or in any other sport, but maybe especially in hockey. I also realize that it's the Cup winners that everyone remembers.

Having said that, the hockey season for any individual team lasts six months, minimum, and nine months, maximum. That's a lot of games, and a lot of hockey to enjoy.

So what do you prefer? Six months of mediocre hockey that leaves you pissed off and miserable, even if followed by a remarkable, even miraculous playoff run? Or six months of great entertainment, followed by everything falling apart for a week or two? If a person lives a great, happy, active life for 80 years, but then contracts a killer disease that makes their last month awful, does that negate a great life?

I mean, ideally, we all want a great regular season for our favourite team, followed by a great playoff. Of course, that's the best, but it rarely happens, for anyone. Given that by the next season, nobody will give a #*%! how you did last year (what have you done for me lately), a case can be made for enjoying six months of winning hockey more than two or three months of high-pressure playoff success (or most probably, failure).

The Jets were one of the best teams last season during the regular season. Full. Stop. Better than the Oilers. Better than the Leafs. Better than the Canucks. And then they crapped the bed, for a whole bunch of reasons, some of which they've hopefully corrected, some of which they probably haven't. Life goes on. Doesn't change the fact that December 2023 was a great time to be a Jets fan. And so far, so has October 2024. What happens from here? Two people have no idea...me, and everybody else.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
1. Top of the division with a game in hand
2. Made the playoffs every year since 2017
3. Best goal scorer in the league, if not the best player outright
4. Physical defensive team
5. Historic franchise with a history of winning
I hate to indulge the OT nonsense but aren't the Leafs in fourth place - just one game over .500?

1729703710510.png

Back on topic - with yesterday's win the Jets have won 14 regular season games in a row, good for a bump up to 7th longest 'streak'. Now if we don't ride the $#)t out of Hellebuyck in the regular season maybe he can show some of that Vezina talent in the post season.

m.

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
I hate to indulge the OT nonsense but aren't the Leafs in fourth place - just one game over .500?

View attachment 920555

Back on topic - with yesterday's win the Jets have won 14 regular season games in a row, good for a bump up to 7th longest 'streak'. Now if we don't ride the $#)t out of Hellebuyck in the regular season maybe he can show some of that Vezina talent in the post season.

m.
Hey when I made the post yesterday we were 2nd with a game in hand to get ahead of the Panthers. Twisting words isn't very classy...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad