CXLIX - FINAL thoughts on the Arizona Coyotes

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I had a heart issueand wasn't really able to go to live sports events until this year.. but managed to get to one - the atmosphere was great!

The numbers are from the Coyotes marketing data btw.
Hope you're on the mend. Health is way more important than hockey.

I don't believe any data coming from the Coyotes. They were fine in Glendale until the subsidy was yanked, then Bettman began screaming that there was no path forward in Glendale & the East Valley was the only solution for the franchise. The NHL just wanted someone else to pay the freight, plain & simple. It all came down to their economics, not the reality of the market.

Reactions: Fairview

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Orange Country Adjacent
I don't believe any data coming from the Coyotes. They were fine in Glendale until the subsidy was yanked, then Bettman began screaming that there was no path forward in Glendale & the East Valley was the only solution for the franchise. The NHL just wanted someone else to pay the freight, plain & simple. It all came down to their economics, not the reality of the market.

Glendale/ASM was bending over backwards to pretty much make the Coyotes playing at Gila River as close to free as they possibly could.

The lease was about $500,000/year with the Coyotes retaining the vast majority of naming rights fees from Gila River which was projected at $3M/year average.

Office space for the organization was complimentary at the arena and at great detriment to the City's finances ASM would make sure the ice was available for practice to both the Coyotes and visiting teams.

Still wasn't good enough and Meruelo still tried to stiff them with bills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad