Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Most likely the jets are waiting on candidates so it bodes well they haven’t jumped at an announcement

I would be totally on board with giving Nelson a shot. He literally did magic with a terrible oilers team in my opinion given that the same team was paltry with Eakins

This is a good read from the EJ….its old

But look at this article, and consider that he has only had more success since then

“Models after Barry Trotz” …. Has positive connections with true north and I’m sure bones put in a good word

I think Nelson deserves a shot with a better NHL team than what he worked with previously. He’s also got some franchise pedigree….assistant with the thrashers in 08/09
That write up on Nelson is a good read.

I really liked his answers on how he approaches coaching. Nice to consider having a coach that would use an aggressive (2-1-2) strategy at times to apply pressure, but keep it simple enough that his players know how to execute the system. I would be on board with hiring him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That write up on Nelson is a good read.

I really liked his answers on how he approaches coaching. Nice to consider having a coach that would use an aggressive (2-1-2) strategy at times to apply pressure, but keep it simple enough that his players know how to execute the system. I would be on board with hiring him.

He is who I am hoping for at this point.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm beginning to think they are really interested in Nelson. I think they would have hired a retread like McClellan or Arniel by now if that was the direction they were leaning.
When could Nelson's team be done? I'm hoping they're interested in Nelson as well.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
They are just starting the semifinals so if they lose I'd guess mid next week at the earliest.
Just checked, and Hershey's series doesn't even start until NEXT Thursday (May 30). Plus they have to be a heavy favourite over Cleveland - they had 111 points vs 88 in the regular season.

Murat mentioned on Twitter that Evason and Woodcroft are also coaching at the World's, which go until Sun, May 26.

Stay patient, everyone!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah and for me the concerning thing is that I just don't think we have enough guys who put their money where their mouths are in the playoffs or important games. It seems to have mostly dissappeared when Buff left.

You can say it's coaching, and I'm not saying it 100% isn't, but we've had this core group no show for 3 coaches now. Pomo doesn't seem to be having an issue getting his charges playing with playoff intensity.

PoMo has the strongest roster he has ever had. And he seems to be able to coach up to their level. This concerns me a little. I would rather he was losing with a good roster. We could say, see it WAS the coach all along. But apparently that is not the case. So now what?

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
PoMo has the strongest roster he has ever had. And he seems to be able to coach up to their level. This concerns me a little. I would rather he was losing with a good roster. We could say, see it WAS the coach all along. But apparently that is not the case. So now what?
It was just the players all along?

200w.gif

trrfd.gif

200w.gif

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hershey has a week off. Their series starts the 30th, so might have time for a meeting in between. Again though, what's the rush if its Arniel as the main option. No one is snagging him from the Jets.

Nelson as an associate coach could be a great add if he was interested and they still went with Arniel. Then replace Lauer :laugh:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Hershey has a week off. Their series starts the 30th, so might have time for a meeting in between. Again though, what's the rush if its Arniel as the main option. No one is snagging him from the Jets.

Nelson as an associate coach could be a great add if he was interested and they still went with Arniel. Then replace Lauer :laugh:
From an NFL perspective, the sooner a Head Coach is hired, the sooner they have their pick of the litter with assistant coaches. I’m sure this applies to the NHL at least somewhat as well. Seeing as Winnipeg’s special teams were such a disaster… perhaps assistant coaches should be a priority.

Plus, providing input on Free Agency/Trades. To a lesser extent for a coach, draft plans. And going over system implementation with coaches, schedule, training camp.

I mean - technically there’s no rush because there’s only a couple openings in league. But the sooner the better to be prepared for all offseason planning.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
From an NFL perspective, the sooner a Head Coach is hired, the sooner they have their pick of the litter with assistant coaches. I’m sure this applies to the NHL at least somewhat as well. Seeing as Winnipeg’s special teams were such a disaster… perhaps assistant coaches should be a priority.

Plus, providing input on Free Agency/Trades. To a lesser extent for a coach, draft plans. And going over system implementation with coaches, schedule, training camp.

I mean - technically there’s no rush because there’s only a couple openings in league. But the sooner the better to be prepared for all offseason planning.

An NHL head coach should have zero input in a draft imo, the players are generally years away. The scouts and the GM should be the only voices there. Free agency/trades sure, but the AHL season will be done by the time FA rolls around. They also have Arniel in house already getting his opinions on roster construction, he's still employed by the Jets.

Head coach is more important than the assistants, so if they really want to talk to Nelson for a HC spot, no rush.

Also Lauer is still employed so it's looking like only one coaching spot as of now that's available and that's Arniels if he gets the job.

But we'll see. If it's announced June 20th I dont think there's much of a difference. It's Arniel vs a guy who can win the job over him, they're not missing out on any serious candidates anymore.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Warming to the idea of Nelson as well and no doubt Bones would give in-depth insight as to whether he would be a good fit. As mentioned it could be why there has not been an announcement yet as the Bears are still in the playoffs.

Alternately, I would not be shocked that Chevy is simply waiting for the PO to end to announce Arniel as the HC. I seem to recall the org previously withholding an announcement during PO's as they wanted to play is classy and not interrupt the news feed until everything was over.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Alternately, I would not be shocked that Chevy is simply waiting for the PO to end to announce Arniel as the HC. I seem to recall the org previously withholding an announcement during PO's as they wanted to play is classy and not interrupt the news feed until everything was over.

It may be the case, but if it is it's pretty lame. None of the other orgs seem to worry about crap like that...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I definitely think there was a bit of 'tune out' factor with Pomo, but I still think our issues are with our core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad