Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don’t know if anyone posted this but on the 32 thoughts podcast on Monday the topic of Rick Tocchet came up and Friedman was saying how patient Rick was waiting to pick the right spot for his next coaching gig. One nugget I found interesting is when Elliot said “He could have had the Winnipeg Job, but he didn’t like the term” (being offered). So we know Trotz was first choice, there were rumors about Monty, and now we know Tocchet was given an offer.

Hopefully they are just as aggressive this time around.

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Most likely the jets are waiting on candidates so it bodes well they haven’t jumped at an announcement

I would be totally on board with giving Nelson a shot. He literally did magic with a terrible oilers team in my opinion given that the same team was paltry with Eakins

This is a good read from the EJ….its old

But look at this article, and consider that he has only had more success since then

“Models after Barry Trotz” …. Has positive connections with true north and I’m sure bones put in a good word

I think Nelson deserves a shot with a better NHL team than what he worked with previously. He’s also got some franchise pedigree….assistant with the thrashers in 08/09

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
3 spots left? Jets, Sharks and Krack Heads? If someone wants a job I don’t see why the Jets shouldn’t be able to make a competitive offer with all things considered.
This is where the reputation of the organization and how they treat people comes into play

If I'm an NHL coach and I have us, Seattle and San Jose as teams that made me an offer, I'd be sitting down with my wife and making a list of pros and cons for each destination.

The "cons" for Winnipeg (weather, size of city) are "pros" for the other two. Competitiveness of the teams works opposite (pro for us, cons for them)

But at the end of rhe day, if the Jets org is known for being cold and cutthroat when dealing with players and coaches, I think that would be enough to dissuade a candidate from looking past the city and climate. Conversely, if it's known around the league that TNSE is loyal to and treats their people like gold, it's a major selling point and could be enough to tip the scales our way

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
This is where the reputation of the organization and how they treat people comes into play

But at the end of rhe day, if the Jets org is known for being cold and cutthroat when dealing with players and coaches, I think that would be enough to dissuade a candidate from looking past the city and climate. Conversely, if it's known around the league that TNSE is loyal to and treats their people like gold, it's a major selling point and could be enough to tip the scales our way
The Jets obviously aren't cold and cutthroat lol. More than any other organization they bend over backwards to give people whatever they want including multiple long term leaves with pay for basically any personal reason. They chartered a pj for a trade deadline acquisition who didn't even try. Buff took 2 winters in a row off with pay along with every summer before quitting on the team entirely.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
For some of us, being fans is about the journey (having a competitive team to cheer for all season that distracts us and gives us something to do/talk about)

For some fans, it's about the destination (winning cups)

To each their own
I was really pissed about the past 2 playoff performances but I agree. If a cup is the only thing that will make you happy, you are going to be a miserable fan 99% of the time (maybe even 100%)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I was really pissed about the past 2 playoff performances but I agree. If a cup is the only thing that will make you happy, you are going to be a miserable fan 99% of the time (maybe even 100%)

Just my 2 cents, but given the NHL now has 32 teams, and only 1 can claim the Cup each year, IMO fans are just going to have to adjust their expectations to winning it all, OR you are right, they are just going to be miserable All the time.

There are people that are fans of NHL teams that are going to be born, live, and die of an old age, without ever seeing their team be victorious. That's not being said to be depressing, but it's just the reality going forward.

Which is why hiring the best / right coach is so important to at least increase your odds of succeeding.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You can only deal with expectations of your team trying and how they try. Only 1 team out of 32 wins the Cup each year. That is a reality that you can't ignore.

You can demand that your team's goal be winning the Cup, not just being a PO team. You can demand that they try to maximize every advantage and minimize every disadvantage.

Jets went softly and quietly out of the PO again this year. But Chevy went all in so we can't fault the organization for that. The PO exposed the weaknesses we all knew existed all season. IMO they also exposed the coaching staff's weaknesses.

But it was a good year to be a Jets fan. It would be ridiculous to say anything different just because we didn't win the Cup.

Right now, I can't be very optimistic for next season but lets see what moves are made in the off-season. We already know there will be change behind the bench. There is potential for a lot of other change as well.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I wouldn't say I'm "pissed", but I understand what you're saying. If anything, I'm curious/dumbfounded how so many players didn't recognize that the playoffs are a different game in terms of intensity, compete, etc and that showing up to play game 1 in April like it's a Tuesday night in January ain't gonna cut it

Most/all of these guys have played meaningful games in their careers and have won something, whether it's in Atom or at the World Juniors.

There was lots of talk on here about analytics and coaching adjustments, etc...but the Jets were just 2 levels below their opponents in terms of the things I've mentionned above for the past few playoffs. The talent is there but is the "I'll crawl over my dead mother to win" mentality?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I wouldn't say I'm "pissed", but I understand what you're saying. If anything, I'm curious/dumbfounded how so many players didn't recognize that the playoffs are a different game in terms of intensity, compete, etc and that showing up to play game 1 in April like it's a Tuesday night in January ain't gonna cut it

Most/all of these guys have played meaningful games in their careers and have won something, whether it's in Atom or at the World Juniors.

There was lots of talk on here about analytics and coaching adjustments, etc...but the Jets were just 2 levels below their opponents in terms of the things I've mentionned above for the past few playoffs. The talent is there but is the "I'll crawl over my dead mother to win" mentality?
Yeah and for me the concerning thing is that I just don't think we have enough guys who put their money where their mouths are in the playoffs or important games. It seems to have mostly dissappeared when Buff left.

You can say it's coaching, and I'm not saying it 100% isn't, but we've had this core group no show for 3 coaches now. Pomo doesn't seem to be having an issue getting his charges playing with playoff intensity.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah and for me the concerning thing is that I just don't think we have enough guys who put their money where their mouths are in the playoffs or important games. It seems to have mostly dissappeared when Buff left.

You can say it's coaching, and I'm not saying it 100% isn't, but we've had this core group no show for 3 coaches now. Pomo doesn't seem to be having an issue getting his charges playing with playoff intensity.

You know after thinking about this more, outside of Helle it really wasn't the core but rather our depth that killed us.

KC and Mark actually did better in the playoffs then regular season. They outscored 5 to 3 with the same crappy XGF as the regular season. Given how they performed as a pair all year I can't see how more was expected.

Our middle 6 in the regular crushed their matchups and significantly outscored the opposition at 5 on 5. But in the playoffs they got crushed.

I think this org knows they having an aging, thining and flawed core, which is why Chevy went for a lot of vet depth. Unfortunately said depth picked a poor time to crash and burn.

Coaching to me failed by never correcting the real poor special teams and not making a change to the second line until the last possible minute.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad