Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes it is.

Hard f***ing pass.

Not really. He won the Cup in his 4th year in Tampa. Got to the 3rd rd in his 4th year with NYR. Got to rd 2 in his 4th year in Columbus. His 3 highest results all came in his 4th years. He almost made the PO this year with a Philly team just starting a rebuild.

He is a hothead. He has an uncontrolled temper. He wears his heart on his sleeve. He doesn't know when to just shut up. But he has been an above average coach, sometimes with some pretty badly flawed teams.

I'm not in favour of hiring him for the Jets. He and Philadelphia might just be a match made in heaven. He is not available right now.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not really. He won the Cup in his 4th year in Tampa. Got to the 3rd rd in his 4th year with NYR. Got to rd 2 in his 4th year in Columbus. His 3 highest results all came in his 4th years. He almost made the PO this year with a Philly team just starting a rebuild.

He is a hothead. He has an uncontrolled temper. He wears his heart on his sleeve. He doesn't know when to just shut up. But he has been an above average coach, sometimes with some pretty badly flawed teams.

I'm not in favour of hiring him for the Jets. He and Philadelphia might just be a match made in heaven. He is not available right now.

He's a boring loud mouthed trap coach. Next.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would add that you need to surround 55 with the right type of wingers. 81 isn't a good roll model for 55.

Yes. I wonder just exactly who that might be. Ehlers made him more productive. According to what we hear Scheifele didn't like playing with him though. I guess Ehlers makes him think too much. So not ideal. Vilardi appears to be a good fit. A LW with a 2 way game on the other side would probably be the other.

A scorer like Barlow could be perfect but I don't know enough about Barlow's game beyond his ability to score goals. I know he is not that great a playmaker but if he can backcheck and finish he could be good.

McGroarty is listed as a RW but he shoots left. He has grit and offensive talent.

Perfetti plays a 2 way game. He is a pass first playmaker who can score. He might just be the best match we have for Scheif. With 2 guys who are both 6'3 on the line Perfetti's smallish size shouldn't be a factor. Just need a backup 1RW to fill in for Vilardi while he is in the infirmary.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Yes. I wonder just exactly who that might be. Ehlers made him more productive. According to what we hear Scheifele didn't like playing with him though. I guess Ehlers makes him think too much. So not ideal. Vilardi appears to be a good fit. A LW with a 2 way game on the other side would probably be the other.

A scorer like Barlow could be perfect but I don't know enough about Barlow's game beyond his ability to score goals. I know he is not that great a playmaker but if he can backcheck and finish he could be good.

McGroarty is listed as a RW but he shoots left. He has grit and offensive talent.

Perfetti plays a 2 way game. He is a pass first playmaker who can score. He might just be the best match we have for Scheif. With 2 guys who are both 6'3 on the line Perfetti's smallish size shouldn't be a factor. Just need a backup 1RW to fill in for Vilardi while he is in the infirmary.

I really hope that Mcgroarty plays the year in college at center. That would be huge and his game is suited for it.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Dean Evason or Craig Berube would be best-case scenario.

Arniel has already been given the job though.
Better to have the Death Stare on our side, I guess.

1715114163182.png

MB Hall of Famer, knows the market, hates the Dallas Stars...

Might be too intense for our crew.

Hard maybe?

This article sheds some light on the firing.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If the Jets have a "Do Not Hire for Coach" List...

I guarantee these names are on it:

Joel Quenneville
Bill Peters
Mike Babcock
Bob Hartley says hi

He's a boring loud mouthed trap coach. Next.
So you're looking for an exciting, quiet run and gun coach?

IDGAF who coaches this team or how, as long as they squeeze every drop of potential out of it

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
A few names I hope get some interest at least:

Todd Nelson (Hershey Bears)

Jay Pandalfo (Boston Uni)

David Carle (Denver Pioneers)
David Carle is interesting. Not sure he is a fit for this group right now but when he makes the jump to the NHL someone will be getting a very good coach. Makes really good in game adjustments and coaches to his teams strengths.

There is a coaches endowment at DU and he has a young family. Not sure if the timing is right for Carle either.

I watch a lot of NCHC hockey specifically DU and was at the frozen four in Minneapolis.

Reactions: ps241

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I don't care who the Jets hire as a HC just as long as Lauer is not coaching the special teams. Its amazing watching the other PKs in the playoffs nobody is standing still like Lauer's PK.
Also if the team does not improve under the new coach after 2 years ... replace him immediately. Being loyal will get you nowhere.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
His bit on Todd Nelson :

"Todd Nelson
Nelson is one of three people to win the AHL’s Calder Cup as a player, assistant coach and head coach, and his Hershey Bears currently lead the Lehigh Valley Phantoms 2-0 in the Atlantic Division semifinals. Nelson has NHL head coaching experience — he took over from Dallas Eakins in Edmonton on the Oilers’ way to drafting Connor McDavid in 2015. Nelson’s record on that team (17-22-7, compared to Eakins’ 7-19-5) wasn’t enough to convince Edmonton to keep him around; instead, he took over the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins, with whom he won the 2017 Calder Cup.

Nelson has ties to Winnipeg. He worked with Bowness on Montgomery’s staff in Dallas, then for Bowness when the Stars went to the Stanley Cup Final in 2020. He worked for Cheveldayoff as an assistant coach with the Chicago Wolves for two seasons in the AHL.

Most importantly, Nelson has won at every level. As head coach, he’s a UHL champion, a two-time AHL champion and has a chance to go back-to-back with Hershey after posting a 53-14-5 record during the regular season — a feat that earned him coach of the year honours"

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
dreger on his podcast said arneil is a strong possibility but believes they will cast a wide net, and seem to imply they aren't 100% sure if he is the correct person for the job

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Murat had an article with 9 candidates.

I don't know if I could deal with wanting to punch the head coach in the face every time they put him on camera, so maybe not Evason :sarcasm:.
Can you name the ones that have not already been mentioned?

Reactions: kanadalainen

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Parisse Middelstadt Lekhonen

Completely wreacked us. No reason Chevy shouldn't be able to put together a line like that from the scraps pile.

Defence shouldn't be that hard either. They need a true top guy to pair with Morrissey. Demelo Dillon would be a good second pair and the rest can fo.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Can you name the ones that have not already been mentioned?

List is:
Arneil
Todd Nelson
Todd McLellan
Jay Woodcroft
Dean Evason
Craig Berube
Gerard Gallant
Lane Lambert
Dave Hakstol
Sheldon Keefe
David Carle