OT: Winnipeg ICE sold - Moving to Wenatchee, Washington renamed Wenatchee Wild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
What is the big deal about the rink. Honestly. Unless you're Ron Robison, who cares? I'd watch them play at Maginot Arena for all the difference it makes.

It's the WHL, it's junior hockey, it's not supposed to be glamorous. Have you seen some of the rinks around the league? SC and PA, which don't even have the excuse of being temporary, are barely one rung above Wayne Fleming.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Probably because it eats into the Moose market since they are both cheaper options relative to Jets?

If true, that's petty of TNSE. Even if the ICE managed to get a new rink built their business would still be a rounding error by True North standards.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
If true, that's petty of TNSE. Even if the ICE managed to get a new rink built their business would still be a rounding error by True North standards.
Yeah, honestly I figured it made a lot of sense for Winnipeg to have a WHL team. But maybe TNSE knows something we don’t.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I think there is fear of a new venue competing with the Moose and also with smaller events like Cirque that attract crowds of 3-4 thousand. TN also runs the Burton Cummings Theatre (1600 capacity).

Moving these events out of downtown isn't too significant, but it isn't insignificant. Hargrave Street Market and other investments depend on people coming downtown.

I'm going to my first ICE game on Friday. I'm pumped.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Seattle dropped 8 on Kamloops last night, looks a lot like that's the matchup.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I think our boy Brad and Guenther will have a really dominant series against the ICE.

A player like Geekie will be an X Factor. He can’t disappear in the series if the ice expect to win.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I think our boy Brad and Guenther will have a really dominant series against the ICE.

A player like Geekie will be an X Factor. He can’t disappear in the series if the ice expect to win.

Good observation. His playoffs have been kind of OK, but he really rose to the challenge in the MJ series. That's what the ICE will need from him vs. Seattle if that's indeed how it shakes out. If Geekie can be at his best against Seattle then that will be a huge difference maker.

Reactions: Halfy

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Hopefully they can convince more than 1500 people to go. I feel terrible for the poor ticket reps who are gonna have to work overtime.

But that’s awesome for the kids. Gonna feel like a million bucks playing there. Would be cool if they could get the logo at centre ice but that might be too much to ask.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Hopefully they can convince more than 1500 people to go. I feel terrible for the poor ticket reps who are gonna have to work overtime.

But that’s awesome for the kids. Gonna feel like a million bucks playing there. Would be cool if they could get the logo at centre ice but that might be too much to ask.
A WHL Championship series is bound to bring in the crowds. The seats were fully sold at Wayne Fleming Arena; standing room only. There was demand already, nevermind the many, many scouts and GMs that were going to be in the crowd. I'm pegging 5000 for each game.

Also, should Seattle advance, you get to see Jets prospect Brad Lambert on the big ice.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I wonder how big a role TSN and the WHL played in this. Probably a lot of pressure on them from those two parties I bet.

(Also, idk if it’s worth it but I’d put something in the thread title so maybe it gets the word out more)

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I wonder how big a role TSN and the WHL played in this. Probably a lot of pressure on them from those two parties I bet.

(Also, idk if it’s worth it but I’d put something in the thread title so maybe it gets the word out more)

I bet you're right, TSN probably wanted this along with the league, so they probably got involved in working out a deal.

Mind you, it's not like this is going to be an act of charity by TNSE. They stand to make money with thousands of fans in the building.

I'll be curious to see how many people the games attract now. I think there will be way more fans than at the ICE Cave, but nowhere near sold out. I'd be impressed if they could crack 5,000 a night.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I'm going against the grain and cheering for Kamloops to eliminate Seattle.

I bet you're right, TSN probably wanted this along with the league, so they probably got involved in working out a deal.

Mind you, it's not like this is going to be an act of charity by TNSE. They stand to make money with thousands of fans in the building.

I'll be curious to see how many people the games attract now. I think there will be way more fans than at the ICE Cave, but nowhere near sold out. I'd be impressed if they could crack 5,000 a night.
Yeah, that seems fair. I guess it depends on ticket prices. Having the first 2 games on the weekend helps.

Even with 5,000 or so that would still provide a decent atmosphere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad