OT: Winnipeg ICE sold - Moving to Wenatchee, Washington renamed Wenatchee Wild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
My guess is we soon will see if True North and 50 Below are able to work together temporarily(my guess is no).

Great series so far. As I suspected, Moose Jaw was likely their toughest test in the East. Win even 1/2 in Sask and it’s basically over.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I wondered if Saskatoon would come out swinging harder after their flat performance on Friday night. I thought a good night's rest would help them get them back into the series. But they looked even more lethargic on Saturday and the ICE looked flat out dominant. They totally controlled the game until the final stretches of the third period when Saskatoon found a little traction. Unlike the MJ series, the two games vs. Saskatoon looked like they were never really in doubt for the ICE. Winnipeg also somewhat surprisingly played a very physical game by ICE standards. Nice to see McClennon notch the hat trick too. I wonder if we'll see a younger player or two cycle in for games 3 and 4?

The ICE are firing on all cylinders, now to see if they can seal the deal in this round without suffering any injuries...

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Don’t know the specifics but I do know the Winnipeg experiment has run it’s course and they will be gone

I'm not saying that the ICE won't ever move but it seems extremely unlikely to me that they will be gone this summer. They are selling season tickets, they have a nearly full summer camp program, there are no impending moves rumoured... normally you would hear quite a lot in the media if a move is about to happen. They are not giving any signals that they won't be back for next season.

Extremely unlikely IMO for a team to announce a move just a couple of months before the preseason. There is a lot of work that goes into getting everything lined up... ticket sales, billets, sponsorships, etc. You don't just show up on June 26 and have that all fall into place.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Wait, were the ICE not intended to be in Winnipeg permanently? Or has the economics just not worked out so far?

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Wait, were the ICE not intended to be in Winnipeg permanently? Or has the economics just not worked out so far?
They were intended to be in Winnipeg permanently, but they have had real trouble getting the planned new venue built. And their temporary venue probably can't sustain the club over the long haul, so they are in a very tough spot.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
What is with the 6 pm Friday starts?

Not that I mind personally, I'm usually tired at the end of the workweek and happy to hit the hay early, but it's weird that the games start at such an early time on a weeknight.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com

Not that I mind personally, I'm usually tired at the end of the workweek and happy to hit the hay early, but it's weird that the games start at such an early time on a weeknight.
Isn't there a coronation early next morning?

Yeah, that's not even a valid excuse.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Isn't there a coronation early next morning?

Yeah, that's not even a valid excuse.

There's a big overlap between junior hockey fans and fans of ancient monarchial ceremonies.

Also, looks like Seattle is up 2-0 on Kamloops. They look kind of unbeatable.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
There's a big overlap between junior hockey fans and fans of ancient monarchial ceremonies.

Also, looks like Seattle is up 2-0 on Kamloops. They look kind of unbeatable.

Maybe the players demanded an early start so they could get up early to watch the coronation? Connor McClennon, big House of Windsor guy :laugh:

I admit I am starting to get a bit worried about Seattle. I'd like to see Kamloops at least win a game in that series.

Reactions: macmaroon

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe the players demanded an early start so they could get up early to watch the coronation? Connor McClennon, big House of Windsor guy :laugh:

I admit I am starting to get a bit worried about Seattle. I'd like to see Kamloops at least win a game in that series.

Kamloops was at least in both of those games which is more than Prince George could say.

I'm sure Kamloops would love to win the series but I think they're using it more as a tune-up for the Memorial Cup than anything.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Well, as a playoff pass member, looks like they already posted Round 4 tickets. They all have the same date right now but the important thing is “Wayne Fleming Arena”. Le sigh.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Well, as a playoff pass member, looks like they already posted Round 4 tickets. They all have the same date right now but the important thing is “Wayne Fleming Arena”. Le sigh.

I'm happy if the ICE stay at Wayne Fleming for the finals, for better or for worse it's home for the ICE and why mess with success?

But that said, given that a WHL final series against the T-Birds would probably attract a fair bit of interest and potentially sell a lot of tickets, I am a little surprised that 50 Below and TNSE didn't work out an arrangement that would be of mutual benefit. I don't think the ICE would come close to selling out the joint, but I could see them moving at least 5,000 tickets a game. Or does TNSE simply refuse rent out CLC to 50 Below at any cost?

Reactions: Halfy

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
I'm happy if the ICE stay at Wayne Fleming for the finals, for better or for worse it's home for the ICE and why mess with success?

But that said, given that a WHL final series against the T-Birds would probably attract a fair bit of interest and potentially sell a lot of tickets, I am a little surprised that 50 Below and TNSE didn't work out an arrangement that would be of mutual benefit. I don't think the ICE would come close to selling out the joint, but I could see them moving at least 5,000 tickets a game. Or does TNSE simply refuse rent out CLC to 50 Below at any cost?
As long as the Moose remain in the playoffs, it’s a turf war.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Don’t know the specifics but I do know the Winnipeg experiment has run it’s course and they will be gone
They are not going anywhere until 2024, at the earliest.

I'm sure Kamloops would love to win the series but I think they're using it more as a tune-up for the Memorial Cup than anything.
I want Kamloops to win the series, just so if the ICE advances, it means a guaranteed birth in the Memorial Cup. If Seattle wins, it means that the ICE have to win the WHL Championship in order to secure a Memorial Cup birth.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
They are not going anywhere until 2024, at the earliest.

I want Kamloops to win the series, just so if the ICE advances, it means a guaranteed birth in the Memorial Cup. If Seattle wins, it means that the ICE have to win the WHL Championship in order to secure a Memorial Cup birth.
Kamloops series would be fun and not stressful. Seattle series would be fun and stressful lol. But at least it would be cool seeing Brad in the W

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Kamloops series would be fun and not stressful. Seattle series would be fun and stressful lol. But at least it would be cool seeing Brad in the W

If that's in fact how the finals shake out, then the ICE would be fully competitive with Seattle. It won't be a repeat of the somewhat one-sided series vs. Edmonton last season. In that round a combination of a fairly green team when it came to the playoffs, combined with a bigger and deeper Oil Kings team did the ICE in fairly quickly. That won't be the situation this time, there's a lot more experience on the ICE now and the team is that much bigger and more talented now.

I would love to see Kamloops pull off the upset but that's looking increasingly unlikely. It would probably make for a pretty chill final by WHL playoff standards, ha.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
ICE are a much better team than the Blades. I can see Saskatoon taking game 4 but don't think the series lasts much longer than that, especially if Sederov is done.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

It will not matter, as the ICE will win tonight, and wrap up the series ion Saskatoon.

If that's in fact how the finals shake out, then the ICE would be fully competitive with Seattle. It won't be a repeat of the somewhat one-sided series vs. Edmonton last season. In that round a combination of a fairly green team when it came to the playoffs, combined with a bigger and deeper Oil Kings team did the ICE in fairly quickly. That won't be the situation this time, there's a lot more experience on the ICE now and the team is that much bigger and more talented now.

I would love to see Kamloops pull off the upset but that's looking increasingly unlikely. It would probably make for a pretty chill final by WHL playoff standards, ha.
Kamloops dominated Seattle tonight. Its 2-1 so anything is possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad