OT: Winnipeg ICE sold - Moving to Wenatchee, Washington renamed Wenatchee Wild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, they played there a few times in the past when the Royal Manitoba Fair would take over the Keystone. They also used arenas in smaller towns like Dauphin.

I suspect there is not as much bad blood between TNSE and 50 Below as some might believe. It's possible that there may not be any at all. If you look at the hockey/business ops people with the ICE and their backgrounds, there are some strong connections. Considering that both 50 Below and TNSE could stand to gain from 2 or 3 large crowds for ICE/Pats games at CLC, I think there is potential that a deal could be worked out. Might be a nice way for 50 Below to test drive that location too...

I would hope 50 Below would put absolutely no stock in any numbers they pull at CLC - the draw would be 99% Bedard.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I watched Games 3 and 4 of Blades/Pats and Regina is HORRIBLE. Thing is, they get about three or four goals per game from Bedard (either him scoring or setting up). He’s dragging that team kicking and screaming to results.

Elsewhere, I watched all of Seattle and Kelowna. The Rockets played Seattle tough, and had a lead in three of the four games, but they just don’t have the talent. T-Birds got the sweep but didn’t look as dominate as the ICE did against the Tigers. Still think I’d give them the advantage in a series against us.

Reactions: RabidOne

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I would hope 50 Below would put absolutely no stock in any numbers they pull at CLC - the draw would be 99% Bedard.

Oh yeah, I think WHL management is well aware of the Bedard effect. I mean, the Pats drew over 50,000 fans to their last 4 appearances in Saskatoon. Blades ownership likely knows that isn't because a wave of Blades-mania took hold in Toontown ;)

Playing at CLC, if it happens, would simply be a way to cash in on the Bedard frenzy.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I watched Games 3 and 4 of Blades/Pats and Regina is HORRIBLE. Thing is, they get about three or four goals per game from Bedard (either him scoring or setting up). He’s dragging that team kicking and screaming to results.

Elsewhere, I watched all of Seattle and Kelowna. The Rockets played Seattle tough, and had a lead in three of the four games, but they just don’t have the talent. T-Birds got the sweep but didn’t look as dominate as the ICE did against the Tigers. Still think I’d give them the advantage in a series against us.

Regina now is like Edmonton 3 years ago magnified - a player too good for his peers surrounded by an otherwise brutal group that just has to hold on when they can while Bedard is on the bench. I think the Ice can weather the Bedard storm well enough to outscore the Pats during the other 35 minutes and win the series.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Regina now is like Edmonton 3 years ago magnified - a player too good for his peers surrounded by an otherwise brutal group that just has to hold on when they can while Bedard is on the bench. I think the Ice can weather the Bedard storm well enough to outscore the Pats during the other 35 minutes and win the series.

The ICE simply have depth that will expose the Pats. Bedard will be a handful for sure, but once you get down to the other lines you are getting into some mismatches. Especially once Benson is back in the lineup.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yep. The game is seriously, literally almost exclusively played in the Pats’ end when Bedard isn’t on the ice. The ICE are a much better team than the Blades so I think they should be fine against either team.

The Warriors are the toughest out in the East, but the ICE should be favoured there too.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
What are the odds on a Ostapchuk one game suspension after the first period misconduct he got? I don't think it's worthy of a suspension, it was hardly a vicious hit, it looked like one of those situations where the outcome was penalized more so than the initial action.

MH played with a lot of energy last night, they certainly didn't lie down for game 4. They are looking like a team on the rise. But the outcome never really felt in doubt despite the narrow margin.

I'm looking forward to round 2, it will be interesting to see who the opponent ends up being.
I went back to watch the hit again and it would be laughable if they suspended him for that. A minor penalty was debatable there, five and a game was already excessive.

As you said, they just penalized him because of the result.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I went back to watch the hit again and it would be laughable if they suspended him for that. A minor penalty was debatable there, five and a game was already excessive.

As you said, they just penalized him because of the result.

Haha yeah, I rewatched it after the game because it didn't look that bad to me at first glance, but the Med Hat PxP guys were talking about it like Ostapchuk was guilty of attempted murder on Wiesblatt. I thought maybe I missed something, but it's pretty clear that I didn't. Even a game misconduct was a lot for that.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Haha yeah, I rewatched it after the game because it didn't look that bad to me at first glance, but the Med Hat PxP guys were talking about it like Ostapchuk was guilty of attempted murder on Wiesblatt. I thought maybe I missed something, but it's pretty clear that I didn't. Even a game misconduct was a lot for that.
Obviously I’m an ICE homer but it’s always funny listening to the opponent’s feeds during junior games, they’re always sparkling in bias (ICE games are no different, of course).

In Game 3 one of the commentators said a handful of times “I’m not even going mention the Parsons suspension because we all know it was a clean play and there’s no way he should’ve been suspended but I’m not gonna go there ….”

:laugh:

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
How is attendance for the ICE in the playoffs? Honestly, if I were still in town, I'd likely want to check out a game or two to see how it was. Especially considering how poor the Jets' season has gone.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
How is attendance for the ICE in the playoffs? Honestly, if I were still in town, I'd likely want to check out a game or two to see how it was. Especially considering how poor the Jets' season has gone.

First round didn't sell out, same as last year. Attendance was similar to regular season games. Which tbh blows me away, I find it amazing that it's not a bigger draw. Later rounds will sell out, like last season.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
First round didn't sell out, same as last year. Attendance was similar to regular season games. Which tbh blows me away, I find it amazing that it's not a bigger draw. Later rounds will sell out, like last season.

Again, it comes down to advertising. The people that already know about the Ice have been going to the games. The people that don't, they don't know what's happening.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Again, it comes down to advertising. The people that already know about the Ice have been going to the games. The people that don't, they don't know what's happening.

I think there is a general level of awareness out there, this isn't a place like, say, Chicago where a junior team like the Chicago Steel have next to zero profile because there are 25 or 30 more prominent sports teams ahead of them in the pecking order. The ICE and the WHL are reasonably well known... they do get some media coverage. I think there's a good number of people aware of the ICE and the WHL playoffs, but who simply don't go to games for whatever reason.

Reactions: snowkiddin

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think there is a general level of awareness out there, this isn't a place like, say, Chicago where a junior team like the Chicago Steel have next to zero profile because there are 25 or 30 more prominent sports teams ahead of them in the pecking order. The ICE and the WHL are reasonably well known... they do get some media coverage. I think there's a good number of people aware of the ICE and the WHL playoffs, but who simply don't go to games for whatever reason.

I think people are aware of the ICE and the WHL, I don't think as many people know when the games are.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Mike McIntyre of the Free Press opines that he thinks the ICE will be leaving. Doesn't say when, or to where, or offer any kind of reporting or evidence to support it so the reader is just left to trust him and wonder about all the details.

Hat-trick of Winnipeg hockey teams not likely to last​

Mike McIntyre
By: Mike McIntyre

...The Ice, however, appear to be on the endangered list. Despite promises from co-owner Greg Fettes in 2019 that a shiny new 4,500 seat facility would be built to house the re-located club from Kootenay, B.C., no ground has been broken. And if there’s a plan in place, it’s definitely a well-kept secret. Talk in hockey circles is increasing that the Ice are likely to be on the move once again.

It’s really too bad. Junior hockey at the highest level is often a non-stop joyride, with wild momentum swings and back-and-forth action that you typically don’t get in the much more structured, system-heavy professional ranks. And the club that continues to call Wayne Fleming Arena home is as exciting as it gets, with a legitimate chance to win a Memorial Cup following a 57-10-1 regular season that was best in the WHL....

• Wow
Reactions: macmaroon

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Mike McIntyre of the Free Press opines that he thinks the ICE will be leaving. Doesn't say when, or to where, or offer any kind of reporting or evidence to support it so the reader is just left to trust him and wonder about all the details.

Mike McIntyre

Seems like a logical opinion but McIntyre talks out of his ass on a lot of stuff so …

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Was watching a bit of the PG-TC matchup tonight when former ICE player Chase Wheatcroft made a great play in the first period prompting the PxP guy to make an all time call:

"Wheatcroft tries to spread the pillows and shove it through the five hole"

Ahahaha.... :laugh:

I guess you had to be there

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I watched Sask and Regina tonight and by golly Bedard is soft. Didn’t really notice that from him earlier this series or at the world juniors but you could tell tonight that he’s afraid of contact. As a smaller guy that could be one thing teams will try to exploit in the NHL

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Mike McIntyre

You got it in the 6th word of your post - "opines". He's looking at what we know and offering an opinion.

I'm not a huge McIntyre guy but these reporters (McIntyre, Billeck, Hamilton, Wiebe to an extent) have a certain number of articles to write on a week to week basis. They're not all required to be strictly facts only backed by several sources. He took what we know so far about the situation and wrote an opinion piece.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
According to Gregg Drinnan, Zach Ostapchuk has been suspended for game one of round two as a result of his hit on Oasiz Wiesblatt in Medicine Hat. Hopefully this will be offset with the return of Zach Benson to the lineup... fingers crossed? I wonder how soon Carson Latimer is to returning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad