OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hasn't the CFL done this in the past with some players ?
Not that I'm aware of. I think I remember there was something odd about the Rocket Ismail contract in the early 90's and in the late 90's I know Flutie was offered a mil a season to stay in CFL, but I'm talking last 10-20 years when I've been playing close attention to CFL. In that time I don't remember that you can just hide cap dollars.

Reactions: Jets 31

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Not that I'm aware of. I think I remember there was something odd about the Rocket Ismail contract in the early 90's and in the late 90's I know Flutie was offered a mil a season to stay in CFL, but I'm talking last 10-20 years when I've been playing close attention to CFL. In that time I don't remember that you can just hide cap dollars.
Very odd. He signed a standard players contract but then a "personal services" contract with the owner.

"Before Ismail had even played a down, he had signed the richest deal in professional football history. It was also unusual in its language. Godway worked with transactional and tax lawyers at his firm and structured the deal as a personal services agreement between Ismail and McNall instead of the traditional contract between player and team."

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
This is in the new agreement - I think we are paying Schoen, Demski and Oliviera partially with personal service contracts... maybe Collaros too?

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This is in the new agreement - I think we are paying Schoen, Demski and Oliviera partially with personal service contracts... maybe Collaros too?
Personal service contracts eh , maybe coach has them running and grabbing him a Starbucks in the morning.:laugh:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

News to me. Huh. I have assume they have some kind restriction on it such as it can only be a certain % of contract value. Otherwise why not sign Collaros to a league min deal and pay him 550k in "marketing money".

But if that's the case, the % is pretty high. Rourke got 400k in marketing money on a 1.4 mil cap counting salary over 3 years.

This makes the cap essentially useless. Come on Walters couldn't have given Janarion 90k + 50k marketing money, he was hugely popular in this city. Urgh.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Honestly I think it's the CFL just normalizing what's been going on for years.... didn't bighill have some side deal when he re-signed? Like an investment job or something
Bombers used their contacts to help him get a job/build a client base with Investor's Group, iirc. Difference here being that they didn't directly pay Bighill extra, IG did/is.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Bombers used their contacts to help him get a job/build a client base with Investor's Group, iirc. Difference here being that they didn't directly pay Bighill extra, IG did/is.
Just saying this style of contract has been around for a while but cfl has opened a can of worms I think... the wording seems so vague

Reactions: Stumbledore

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just saying this style of contract has been around for a while but cfl has opened a can of worms I think... the wording seems so vague
Agreed.

But to me there's a fundamental difference between Bighill and this situation. Bighill's situation is a team helping a player out leveraging good working relationships with local businesses, which are key to the success of CFL teams. Every team can/should be doing the same for their players.

Rourke/others is just them giving them extra non cap money. It's straight cap circumvention. It makes the cap irrelevant. And like as recently as 2/3 years ago Sask was fined and disciplined for paying players under the table including players not on the roster. In the end this kind of cap circumvention is going to reward the richest teams. Which as of right now is the Bombers but I still don't like the idea at all.

Reactions: snowkiddin

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Agreed.

But to me there's a fundamental difference between Bighill and this situation. Bighill's situation is a team helping a player out leveraging good working relationships with local businesses, which are key to the success of CFL teams. Every team can/should be doing the same for their players.

Rourke/others is just them giving them extra non cap money. It's straight cap circumvention. It makes the cap irrelevant. And like as recently as 2/3 years ago Sask was fined and disciplined for paying players under the table including players not on the roster. In the end this kind of cap circumvention is going to reward the richest teams. Which as of right now is the Bombers but I still don't like the idea at all.
I don't mind it if it means it helps the CFL maintain talent... looking at next season with Kelly, ford, Rourke and VAJ all of diff teams is great

On a side note who's Casey baumann and how did no one select him?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't mind it if it means it helps the CFL maintain talent... looking at next season with Kelly, ford, Rourke and VAJ all of diff teams is great

On a side note who's Casey baumann and how did no one select him?
No one was interested. He wasn't much of a QB in college. It was a complete shock when Chargers signed him. He might get a look or two in CFL, but unlikely be to be a CFL QB. Fits the profile of an NFL QB better than CFL QB. His upside is probably an injury prone Jake Dolegala.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
No one was interested. He wasn't much of a QB in college. It was a complete shock when Chargers signed him. He might get a look or two in CFL, but unlikely be to be a CFL QB. Fits the profile of an NFL QB better than CFL QB. His upside is probably an injury prone Jake Dolegala.
Still blown away that we haven't found another pr qb to maybe replace wilson

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Really surprised to see Adam's on the PR... thought he had a monster game - hope we are not dead set on NI DT while neglecting to use Willie j as a national... that might be going a bit far

I would have loved to see 8 DL this game - we need pressure on Rourke

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
For $750k he better be good at his job. Some NFL line-man just signed for 3 years at $13 million a year so it's all relative.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

News to me. Huh. I have assume they have some kind restriction on it such as it can only be a certain % of contract value. Otherwise why not sign Collaros to a league min deal and pay him 550k in "marketing money".

But if that's the case, the % is pretty high. Rourke got 400k in marketing money on a 1.4 mil cap counting salary over 3 years.

This makes the cap essentially useless. Come on Walters couldn't have given Janarion 90k + 50k marketing money, he was hugely popular in this city. Urgh.

This is interesting to me. Fans across the league are happy Rourke is back but fans across the league should also be pissed at this. Having a billionaire owner abuse the cap like this isn’t good for anyone.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
This is interesting to me. Fans across the league are happy Rourke is back but fans across the league should also be pissed at this. Having a billionaire owner abuse the cap like this isn’t good for anyone.
Kelly makes $100k in professional services, Oliviera makes $50k, Schoen 35k, Demski 20k, Hardrick 15k, Lokombo 17k

Tons of mid-range players with 5-15k in non-football services in their contract...

Salary cap was long gone before Rourke signed.

Basically we lost Grant because Walters didn't or couldn't rework Zach's contract to include marketing... ??

• Wow

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Wasn't that contact a VP on the Bombers board?

Last edited:

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
That POS QB on the Argos is either not coming back or will be a POS again by the end of the season and won't be with the Argos next year.

To Argos: Rourke

To Lions: Cam Dukes, Alfredo Gachuz Lozada and a 1st.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
That POS QB on the Argos is either not coming back or will be a POS again by the end of the season and won't be with the Argos next year.

To Argos: Rourke

To Lions: Cam Dukes, Alfredo Gachuz Lozada and a 1st.
U mean....VAJ to the argos!!!....why in the world would even think of being traded to the argos when u can play in a domed stadium an d a city like Vancouver.....I wouldnt be surprised if he stipulated that to the owners/team.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad