OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Might be in his best interest it appears that he doesn’t have what teams are looking for down south or at least want to invest serious time with him

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ravi Alston was released from PR today. Likely related to the below.

Might be in his best interest it appears that he doesn’t have what teams are looking for down south or at least want to invest serious time with him
The talent evaluation down south is so so poor at times. This is a league where Nathan Peterman, Brett Rypien, Malik Willis, Tommy DeVito, etc, etc, etc still have contracts. None of those guys would even crack a CFL roster (maybe Willis in a Prukop role). It's really quite embarrassing for them.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think at this point Rourke's NFL window is closed. Regular season kicks off in just under a month so he's likely not getting on a roster, be it main or practice squad.

I don't expect him to stop trying. He'll probably stay ready for a call if a team loses guys to injury, but i fully expect Rourke back in the CFL full time for 2025.
Damn 2025 came fast. :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So Rourke signed for three years ... VAJ is gonna be traded this offseason for sure.

Being the chaotic hater that I am, I want Rourke to completely flunk out once VAJ is traded and then for BC to be stuck in QB purgatory for decades :nod:
The other possibility is that Rourke signs back in NFL during the transfer window this off-season. If he gets a couple good games on tape to end the year here, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Then if he doesn't sign back down south that's when we'll see VA traded. Based on the comment from the Lions, that's what I'm expecting tbh. Roll Rourke-VA to end the year. If Rourke signs in NFL in off-season, VA is the guy. If Rourke stays for 2025, VA is traded. VA's value isn't going to be hurt by backing up for a couple months to Rourke.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Ravi Alston was released from PR today. Likely related to the below.

The talent evaluation down south is so so poor at times. This is a league where Nathan Peterman, Brett Rypien, Malik Willis, Tommy DeVito, etc, etc, etc still have contracts. None of those guys would even crack a CFL roster (maybe Willis in a Prukop role). It's really quite embarrassing for them.

Physical talent is obviously lacking in a lot of these guys, but there is something to be said for their mental abilities.

Peterman for exampled has been shouted out multiple times as stupidly smart and a huge asset for a QB room. That's going to be a lot more valuable to a team looking for a QB3 (since iirc he's behind Minshew and O'Connell in Vegas) rather than a lottery ticket like Rourke who in all likelihood wouldn't see the field anyway.

The other possibility is that Rourke signs back in NFL during the transfer window this off-season. If he gets a couple good games on tape to end the year here, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Then if he doesn't sign back down south that's when we'll see VA traded. Based on the comment from the Lions, that's what I'm expecting tbh. Roll Rourke-VA to end the year. If Rourke signs in NFL in off-season, VA is the guy. If Rourke stays for 2025, VA is traded. VA's value isn't going to be hurt by backing up for a couple months to Rourke.
Also this. With how starved the CFL is for QBs, VA's value will remain the same.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Physical talent is obviously lacking in a lot of these guys, but there is something to be said for their mental abilities.

Peterman for exampled has been shouted out multiple times as stupidly smart and a huge asset for a QB room. That's going to be a lot more valuable to a team looking for a QB3 (since iirc he's behind Minshew and O'Connell in Vegas) rather than a lottery ticket like Rourke who in all likelihood wouldn't see the field anyway.

Also this. With how starved the CFL is for QBs, VA's value will remain the same.

If Peterman was so smart you'd think he'd remember which colour jersey he was supposed to throw to when he's on the field :sarcasm:

I get that aspect of it, but it just doesnt hold water to me most of the time. Hire him as a QB coach then. 66 QBs made a start in the NFL last year. You absolutely cannot assume your 3rd stringer will not see the field. You need to be preparing your team for whatever may come. Getting the best team you can assemble is critical, even at depth positions. However NFL teams just don't like to think like that. They'd rather cut the young guy for a "proven" player. All the Peterman's, Beathard's, Willis' etc of the world have proven is that are not NFL calibre players. But that "experience" gets them chance after chance after chance. Same story as a Logan Stanley vs literally anyone else. Coaches and GMs are just so risk averse they'd rather roll with the proven bad player over the lottery ticket. It's mind boggling stupid to me.

Like I get it if you have a rookie QB. You want a veteran to pair him up with. Sure, of course. Even a 2nd or 3rd year starter. But why would you need a useless veteran behind a Trevor Lawrence, or Patrick Mahomes, or Josh Allen, etc, etc. You should be getting the best QBs you can. If it's a veteran sure. If it's s young guy, sure. But get the best you can back behind. But too much is tied up in contract guarantees, draft status, age, and "experience" too often and teams don't look at who's the most talented best player. Like the NYG didn't even let Rourke take a snap, just assumed superstar Tommy DeVito was better than him. In ATL Rourke went 3/13 for 37 yards on 3 days of practice with 3 recorded drops from WRs. Oh and had a highlight reel scramble for a 1st down. Versus veteran Heinicke who's been there all off season going 4/11 for 11 yards. But Rourke is released the next day. Much like last year, there's literally NOTHING Rourke could have done to stay on a roster. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luc Labelle

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He'll be rusty and if he's still thinking about the NFL he might get a little antsy/excited trying to make big plays. Rourke also had an accuracy and INT problem in college, so if he starts to force it, there may be some INT opportunities.

But with this move it's going to be hard to catch BC that's for sure. Once Rourke gets rolling though, Rourke is easily the best CFL QB I've seen play since Flutie. But NFL has changed some players, sometimes they never come back quite the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He'll be rusty and if he's still thinking about the NFL he might get a little antsy/excited trying to make big plays. Rourke also had an accuracy and INT problem in college, so if he starts to force it, there may be some INT opportunities.

But with this move it's going to be hard to catch BC that's for sure. Once Rourke gets rolling though, Rourke is easily the best CFL QB I've seen play since Flutie. But NFL has changed some players, sometimes they never come back quite the same.
With any luck, that nine game run was just lightning in a bottle and he completely fails miserably and is out of the league in a couple years :DD

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
With any luck, that nine game run was just lightning in a bottle and he completely fails miserably and is out of the league in a couple years :DD
I'll have to disagree with you there. I want Rourke to light it up against every team except the Bombers lol. Rourke and to a lesser extent Tre Ford are REALLY good for the CFL. I got people that probably couldn't name all 9 CFL teams asking me about Rourke in 22. These guys are exciting to watch and both are great ambassadors for the game. It's a more fun league when they are in it. They drive interest and money to the league as a whole.

• Wow
Reactions: None and snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'll have to disagree with you there. I want Rourke to light it up against every team except the Bombers lol. Rourke and to a lesser extent Tre Ford are REALLY good for the CFL. I got people that probably couldn't name all 9 CFL teams asking me about Rourke in 22. These guys are exciting to watch and both are great ambassadors for the game. It's a more fun league when they are in it. They drive interest and money to the league as a whole.
Anything that makes it more difficult for my team to win is poo poo in the shoe to me :thumbu::laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I know it won't happen for a variety of reasons, but any universe you can think of where Tyrell tells his brother Tre to come over to the Bombers for 2025? :sarcasm:

Don't know Tre's contract status, and Collaros has another year left for 2025. Just wondering out loud about what the org might think about Zach next year at 36. Would be nice to have a transition plan.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I know it won't happen for a variety of reasons, but any universe you can think of where Tyrell tells his brother Tre to come over to the Bombers for 2025? :sarcasm:

Don't know Tre's contract status, and Collaros has another year left for 2025. Just wondering out loud about what the org might think about Zach next year at 36. Would be nice to have a transition plan.
Both Tre and Tyrell have their contracts expiring after this season (3 year rookie contract).

Tre is going to be looking for a starting opportunity. I don't think it'll be in Winnipeg. With WPG hosting the GC in 25 I don't think the Bombers will want to move off Zach until after 25 (also massive cap implications if he's released). In a hosting year I don't think they try to transition to a new QB.

Anything can happen in the CFL though. If Rourke is here to stay, VA will be QB needy teams #1 target. And really there's not many QB needy teams. Edmonton of course. After that it's murkier. Calgary should want to move off Maier, but it's not looking like it right now. I think Powell has some pop in Hamilton, they may roll with him. If he can keep his nose clean, Kelly should be locked into TO. Brown has done some nice things in OTT. Fajardo is obviously staying put in MTL. Harris has to be thinking about retirement at this point in Sask.

So the path to Tre Ford would involve.
1) Rourke staying in BC, VA traded to EDM.
2) Calgary sticks to their guns in Maier
3) Hamilton likes Powell enough to name him starter.
4) Harris and Sask try to make it work a 3rd time this time with Harris at 38.
5) Bombers can sell Tre Ford on being the starter in 2026 as the best option for playing time for him.

Longshot but not impossible. Likely contigent on re-signing Tyrell this off-season as well. But there's also alot of season left. And already Davis Alexander in Montreal is making himself a good case to be a potential starter as well. MBT and Harris have retirement decisions. Dukes hasnt looked out of place in TO. What happens to Bo Levi? Crum has shown flashes, as has current Redblacks 4th stringer Tyrie Adams. Shea Patterson certainly hasnt shit himself out of job like i was expecting him too. Even Streveler is also a dark horse to take a starting position if LaPo happens to take another CFL coaching job haha. The QB carousel in the off-season will be interesting.

Most likely scenario I see is both Ford's signing in Hamilton in the off-season. They are from Niagara Falls and went to Waterloo, Hamilton is the closest hometown team for them. As well Ham will likely have big gaping needs at QB and already have huge needs at CB.

But like 10 days ago I said there was no chance Rourke was signing in CFL this year, and if he does I basically guaranteed it wouldn't be with the Lions. So what the hell do I know? Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Huffer

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hopefully last thing for the day.

O'Shea is gonna O'Shea. They are gonna leave Josh Johnson in and sit Lucky Whitehead more than likely.

EDIT: My pessimism may have been misplaced. WR Cody Case to PR. Lucky gonna be the returner.

Last edited:

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I did say if he came back to the CFL, the lions would sign him...he did say at the beginning of the season that he like coming back to BC....enjoyed it there

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
The CFL with Rourke is good for the game, even if I am simultaneously envious and scared. Still though: the idea of him only signing today, maybe getting in 3ish days worth of practice and then suiting up to play on Sunday behind an offensive line that looks at times as bad as the Bombers seems crazy. But with how good he looked the last time we saw him in the CFL, he might be able to pull it off.

Also full props to BC's relatively new owner though: Grey Cup is in town and getting Rourke back on a somewhat friendly cap for this season? Easy possibility he'll make that money back within a couple of weeks of selling more tickets than average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad