OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I know preseason is vanilla but our st coverage and our D has been pretty bad... hopefully they turn it on with the starters but so far the new coaches don't seem to have changed anything - Richie halls D really needed an elite MLB and elite DE pressure for it to work
I have concerns about the D, but not really about the performances as a unit from this pre-season.

Our D 2nd string D held essentially the Calgary #1 unit on O to one big play in the first half, only 6 pts against overall. I'm concerned about the D, but overall I thought they looked pretty good in the pre-season.

31 pts against when the 0 has just 5 first downs with multiple turnovers...that's actually super impressive.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I have concerns about the D, but not really about the performances as a unit from this pre-season.

Our D 2nd string D held essentially the Calgary #1 unit on O to one big play in the first half, only 6 pts against overall. I'm concerned about the D, but overall I thought they looked pretty good in the pre-season.

31 pts against when the 0 has just 5 first downs with multiple turnovers...that's actually super impressive.
Yeah, there’s been much discourse about how improved Sask looks this pre-season and about how Calgary looked solid.

Sask’s #1s actually trailed our #2s and Calgary’s #1 offence didn’t do much against our #2s/PR guys.

Goes to show how much further ahead the Bombers starters still are, at least against these two teams.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Agreed but that sounded as much on calgary receivers/maier throws as our D stopping them...

I think our DL is getting a good push I'm just not sold on anyone after that- and some of these second stringers will be starting for us for half a season or more... we will see soon enough

Reactions: jfreeze

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Focusing on QBs...
Cole Macdonald released by Elks. 2020 7th rounder by Titans he's bounced around but has some upside. Slightly better pedigree than Terry Wilson.
Kevin Thompson released by Ti-Cats. Was on pace to make the Lions last year before a nasty pre-season ended his season. Might be worth a look.
Kyle Vantrease placed on Stamps PR. Off a PR Stamps would have opportunity to match the Bombers offer, but they have 4 QBs on the roster still so unlikely to match. Vantrease showed better yesterday than either Wilson or Grainger.

Most interesting ones, IMO.

Also of note Abu Daramy-Swaray was released by OTT. He started games at CB last year for the Bombers and may be of interest again.

Alot of intriguing names released overall as always. Well see what tmw brings with Bombers releases.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Focusing on QBs...
Cole Macdonald released by Elks. 2020 7th rounder by Titans he's bounced around but has some upside. Slightly better pedigree than Terry Wilson.
Kevin Thompson released by Ti-Cats. Was on pace to make the Lions last year before a nasty pre-season ended his season. Might be worth a look.
Kyle Vantrease placed on Stamps PR. Off a PR Stamps would have opportunity to match the Bombers offer, but they have 4 QBs on the roster still so unlikely to match. Vantrease showed better yesterday than either Wilson or Grainger.

Most interesting ones, IMO.

Also of note Abu Daramy-Swaray was released by OTT. He started games at CB last year for the Bombers and may be of interest again.

Alot of intriguing names released overall as always. Well see what tmw brings with Bombers releases.
I’d bring back Daramy-Swaray. Can’t be any worse than McGhee.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Tait later tweeted Chris Smith got hurt and that's why he's released. I haven't reviewed this but the two best returners on Friday on released in Smith (Injured apparently) and Vann so I have no idea what they are doing. Myron Mitchell maybe the returner?

As I suspected it was over for almost everyone who dressed on Friday.

Last edited:

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
So the only player who really showed us anything in the second preseason game got hurt and is cut. Pretty disappointed with this crop of imports.
Very few standouts at import receiver, DE and DB. Scouting gets a failing grade to this point but we shall see how things progress.

Wilson makes the team! Hmmm

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So the only player who really showed us anything in the second preseason game got hurt and is cut. Pretty disappointed with this crop of imports.
Very few standouts at import receiver, DE and DB. Scouting gets a failing grade to this point but we shall see how things progress.

Wilson makes the team! Hmmm
To be completely fair, it was nearly impossible for any WR to stand out in this pre-season. The QB play was soooooo poor.

DE looked like it wasn't a competition. It was always going to Haba, which I'm OK with as he looked last year, and Garbutt returning off the PR. To me that was pre-determined for before camp based on how it played out.

DB yeah it doesn't look like a bumper crop. My brain is functioning yet to see who they kept...

Looks like it's Terrell Bonds (wore #24 Friday listed as backup CB to McGhee) or Marquise Bridges (wore #29 Friday listed as starting weak side HB) as the starting weak/boundary corner based on my quick glances.

Last edited:

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
My only question for those who have watched (as I haven't): any early thoughts on Jordan Younger calling a game? Are we still sitting 10-15yds off of the line of scrimmage on 2nd-and-5's, continuing the "bend-don't-break" tradition of Richie Hall days?

Otherwise, I would say this is probably going to be the first season in a while where the Bombers likely aren't going to look dominant right out of the gate. The offence still has its obvious all-stars, but without much pre-season reps and practice, it'll probably take them a while to gel and get to form (especially with an OL that has now lost a key starter in consecutive off-seasons (Couture, now Hardrick)). The defence was always going to be the biggest question mark: I expect Willie Jefferson to be great as always, but without Jeffcoat and a rotation of an aging Thomas, Haba, Lawson, and Fox... the rest of the defence can't get "bent" anymore.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So what's our LB core?

Probably opens
WLB - Brian Cole
MLB - Kyrie Wilson
SLB/Dimeback - Redha Kramdhi

Don't think I saw Dylan Moses on the cut list so he may slot in as a backup and STer to start as well.

My only question for those who have watched (as I haven't): any early thoughts on Jordan Younger calling a game? Are we still sitting 10-15yds off of the line of scrimmage on 2nd-and-5's, continuing the "bend-don't-break" tradition of Richie Hall days?

Otherwise, I would say this is probably going to be the first season in a while where the Bombers likely aren't going to look dominant right out of the gate. The offence still has its obvious all-stars, but without much pre-season reps and practice, it'll probably take them a while to gel and get to form (especially with an OL that has now lost a key starter in consecutive off-seasons (Couture, now Hardrick)). The defence was always going to be the biggest question mark: I expect Willie Jefferson to be great as always, but without Jeffcoat and a rotation of an aging Thomas, Haba, Lawson, and Fox... the rest of the defence can't get "bent" anymore.
There's no thoughts to be gleaned from pre-season. They are not going to be giving away their tendencies or advanced packages in pre-season. Particularly not a pre-season where they didn't play 75% of the starters at all. Well have to wait until week 1.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Probably opens
WLB - Brian Cole
MLB - Kyrie Wilson

Don't think I saw Dylan Moses on the cut list so he may slot in as a backup and STer to start as well.

There's no thoughts to be gleaned from pre-season. They are not going to be giving away their tendencies or advanced packages in pre-season. Particularly not a pre-season where they didn't play 75% of the starters at all. Well have to wait until week 1.
Ah ok it seemed like Cole was tending towards SAM... I'm fine with that lineup I'm assuming Gauthier will be getting rotated in on run plays

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Probably opens
WLB - Brian Cole
MLB - Kyrie Wilson

Moses was released

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ah ok it seemed like Cole was tending towards SAM... I'm fine with that lineup I'm assuming Gauthier will be getting rotated in on run plays
I was thinking the same thing since that's where they used him all pre-season but what I posted was what Bauming told me he thought would happen.

Cole's been a deep backup WILL last two years, I guess they practiced him at SAM this pre-season to get him more positional versatility so when Biggie returns he can backup more spots.

Moses was released
Yeah your right. Work called me 4 times last night and apparently my brain isn't at 100%...

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Weird training camp this year. Vets not participating and loads of WR'S and DB's but no one really stood out. Kinda concerning.

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Just saw that Marcus Sayles was let go by the Lions. Wonder how much he has left in his tank.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just saw that Marcus Sayles was let go by the Lions. Wonder how much he has left in his tank.
That's an interesting one. I don't think Sayles has ever played CB at the CFL level though. However most think HB is a harder position than CB so maybe he could move over.

I'm really shocked that BC released him with TJ Lee still out from his Achilles in West Final. Lions going with a REALLY young DB corps. I think they'll be starting 2nd year Canadian Siriman Bagayogo at CB with former Bombers prospect Patrice Rene as his backup (if Rene wasnt released i havent done a deep dive on the cuts yet), now they need 2 new HBs as well.

EDIT: Bagayogo was released and not Rene apparently haha

Last edited:
Reactions: SSCBLUEJET

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Happy to see McGhee didn’t make the team, only the practice roster. I suspect they’ll bring in Daramy-Swaray again.

Sucks for Chris Smith. Makes a play to make the team, and then gets hurt. I’m assuming it’s a long-term injury and that’s probably it for his pro career. If whoever it is that returns kicks for us struggles for a few weeks I can see us bringing in a guy like Worthy.

I’m hoping with Wilson that they are in the process of adding a different QB and when they decide on one they’ll make a corresponding move of releasing Wilson while signing the other guy. He was throwing passes into the dirt all game, I don’t think there’s anything good there. Dru Brown looked like shit in the beginning too but he was younger than Wilson is.

I expect the Bombers to be the best team in the league again this year, but more by virtue of the other teams not being (as) good. BC is the next best team in the league, IMO, but they have question marks all over their defence, have lost some offensive talent, and are counting on Vernon Adams to repeat the season he just had. I can’t see that happening. Montreal lost like 80% of their offence when Mack left for the NFL, are going with Fajardo, and are, IMO, just a team that got hot at the right time last year, but not a team that will have long-term success. Toronto has no QB and lost a ton of talent giving Kelly the contract they did. The Riders receive a lot of hype from the media, but they’ve got an aging, frail QB with a poor offensive line and an overrated RB. Holes all over their defence. They’ll probably be a playoff team because the Elks and Stamps are in complete shambles. Hamilton looks like they’re trying to tank for the #1 overall pick and I think Ottawa will be better than last year, but that’s a low bar — that’s like saying the shit I took last night was better than the shit I took the day before.

I’m not that worried about our offence. We’ve got all stars at receiver and Oliveira/Streveler are gonna wear down linebackers all game, we should really make some hay late in games. The bigger concern IMO is defence. There’s a couple of spots in the secondary that will probably be picked on, especially with Parker out. Going with Cole/Wilson/Kramdi/whoever at LB doesn’t inspire confidence either. Wilson was elite a couple years ago a but hasn’t been the same since his big injury, and Cole is and undersized and nothing special IMO. Never thought Kramdi was all that great last year either. That’s gonna be rough. On a positive note, I’m relatively optimistic about the DL. Willie is Willie, but Haba showed very well last year. I’ve been impressed with Fox, too. Bauming mentioned it on his show, but he looks like he could be a Stove Richardson. Shouldn’t take too much to improve on whoever that import was that we had their last season.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
BC has a very solid team... wouldn't underestimate them and Toronto I think will surprise again.

The amount it OL on the practice roster scares me a bit in that maybe Lofton isn't quite what they hoped for...

For a team heavy on Canadians I'm not sure the PR makes sense to me

Don't see why $$ didn't open up for grant especially after our D injuries.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
BC has a very solid team... wouldn't underestimate them and Toronto I think will surprise again.

The amount it OL on the practice roster scares me a bit in that maybe Lofton isn't quite what they hoped for...

For a team heavy on Canadians I'm not sure the PR makes sense to me

Don't see why $$ didn't open up for grant especially after our D injuries.
BC is definitely a top two team in the league IMO, but they have more question marks than the Bombers. Toronto will be a playoff team because their division sucks but they just lost way too much talent for me to have much faith in them.

Re: Grant, yeah, I think there’s something else going on there other than just salary…

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Did a little digging into the two CB possibilities they kept. Both are on the older side at 27 years old.

Terrell Bonds is well traveled. Here's a list of his teams since 2019
2019 - Memphis Express (AFL)
2019-2020 - Baltimore Ravens (NFL, mostly PR played 2 games in 2020)
2021 - Miami Dolphins (NFL, cut in camp)
2022 - Pittsburgh Brawlers (USFL)
2022 - Tennessee Titans (NFL, never played a regular season game)
2023 - San Antonio Brahmas (XFL)
2024 - Birmingham Stallions (UFL, never played a regular season game)
2024 - Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Definitely a grinder that doesn't quit. Which fits Bombers MO. He played most of the 2nd half of the 2nd pre-season game at boundary corner and didn't stand out to me, which I suppose is good as a DB.

Marquise Bridges the info online is a little harder to come by. It looks like he graduated out of North Dakota in 2019 and went to Indoor Football League (IFL). IFL appears to be semi-pro, with players making 250-500$ a week (less than CFL PR players btw). He led the league in INTs in 2023. I thought he stood out in a good way for the most part in Friday's pre-season game as well, he was one of two HBs i highlighted in a good light in my post game thoughts. Maybe Bombers got something here. Who knows.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I personally got the Riders, Stamps, and Argos missing the playoffs this year myself in pre-season predictions. I posted them in the CFL thread on the football board.

Argos bled too much talent then lost the guy they spent all their money on for at least 9 games and I'm hearing it'll be more.

Stamps don't have a QB.

I think Riders spent their money unwisely in FA. Ouellette is in for a huge surprise running behind Riders leaky OL, a 34 year old Jermarcus Hardrick isn't saving them.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad