OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Being sick + having to exert yourself in the heat is a bloody miserable combination. I worked at UPS as a summer job many moons ago and there was a day I had to go in a couple days off getting over a stomach bug. I'm not sure how I survived that shift given the trailers were like 43 Celsius from sitting in sun all day, but I did.

Now imagine Bryant, being a bigger dude, wearing equipment would already be sweating buckets in normal conditions on top of it being humid as shit out with him being sick. Makes my day look like a nice jaunt through the flowers.

That could have ended so much worse and I'm glad he's okay.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Full disclosure I don’t get a chance to watch much if any football until September.

Just took a quick look at the CFL standings and was shocked to see them. When was the last time the East looked like the better division? I can’t remember the last time I saw this level of what appears to be mediocrity in the west heading towards the labour day weekend.

God would it be nice for some .500 team to stumble out of the West and beat the prohibitive favorite from the East in the Grey Cup. Last time that happened it was the Bombers who pulled it off against Hamilton.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Those injuries were insane. For most of the 4th quarter the Bombers had 3 offensive backups. Lucky Whitehead, Chris Streveler and Terry Wilson. That's it. So no packages, no different looks. All you can do is vanilla. Imagine trying to run your pre-season O in week 12.

So yeah it was really rough on O. And it's a huge concern. But for now I'll bask in the gutsy win by a veteran team that did just enough to put themselves back in the hunt.
Was at the game yesterday and was openly thinking with some of the folks seating around us about why Buck Pierce wasn't calling anything different than very basic packages on offence... I suppose I was only thinking about Bryant's injury, but yeah, losing another offensive lineman and some other rotating injuries with the skills players probably made it that way. Still would have liked to see some variety - it's the CFL after all, and watching that whole 2nd half was the blandest I've ever seen a CFL offence play.

And I won't excuse Collaros either, last night was easily his worst game of this season, but at least he put together a solid final drive. He was really trying to force the ball to both of Lawler and Demski in double coverage though - I understand having trust in your receivers (and I think Lawler should have had 1-2 of those) but he threw some real bad suicide passes to Demski.

Up next is where the emotions get really ramped up against an SSK team sliding since their hot start. Granted, it was only their last game against TOR where I thought Harris looked as bad as Collaros looked last night, and all the others were pretty close losses (and a miraculous tie from OTT), and their oline is as injured as ours right now, lol. Think I'm just taking this season week-by-week at this point and enjoying the ride, so these should be some pretty fun CFL games to watch and won't try to get too bothered if they look like crap.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Two Games ago vs BC
1724513755207.png

Last Game vs BC
1724513821445.png

Last Nights Game
1724513906936.png

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Was at the game yesterday and was openly thinking with some of the folks seating around us about why Buck Pierce wasn't calling anything different than very basic packages on offence... I suppose I was only thinking about Bryant's injury, but yeah, losing another offensive lineman and some other rotating injuries with the skills players probably made it that way. Still would have liked to see some variety - it's the CFL after all, and watching that whole 2nd half was the blandest I've ever seen a CFL offence play.

And I won't excuse Collaros either, last night was easily his worst game of this season, but at least he put together a solid final drive. He was really trying to force the ball to both of Lawler and Demski in double coverage though - I understand having trust in your receivers (and I think Lawler should have had 1-2 of those) but he threw some real bad suicide passes to Demski.

Up next is where the emotions get really ramped up against an SSK team sliding since their hot start. Granted, it was only their last game against TOR where I thought Harris looked as bad as Collaros looked last night, and all the others were pretty close losses (and a miraculous tie from OTT), and their oline is as injured as ours right now, lol. Think I'm just taking this season week-by-week at this point and enjoying the ride, so these should be some pretty fun CFL games to watch and won't try to get too bothered if they look like crap.
I'd put the over/under on Harris INTs next week at 2.5.

• Wow
Reactions: snowkiddin

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Full disclosure I don’t get a chance to watch much if any football until September.

Just took a quick look at the CFL standings and was shocked to see them. When was the last time the East looked like the better division? I can’t remember the last time I saw this level of what appears to be mediocrity in the west heading towards the labour day weekend.

God would it be nice for some .500 team to stumble out of the West and beat the prohibitive favorite from the East in the Grey Cup. Last time that happened it was the Bombers who pulled it off against Hamilton.
The Bombers were 11-7.

Reactions: ps241

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Also with that loss it means no matter what happens with BC OTT next week, the winner of Labour Day in Regina is leading the west as we enter the CFLs stretch drive.
I stand corrected, had some delicious crow for dinner, medium rare, fairly chewy and too salty.
I’m usually more optimistic but never thought the west would look like this come Labour Day. Onward and upward! Go bombers!

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Even if the top is within reach, i'm not sure this offense is capable of sustaining much of anything going forward. It was already sputtering and relying on the defense to choke out the opposition, now throw in an already suspect o-line losing guys and it's only going to be worse.

My biggest concern honestly might be Collaros. Even at his peak he'd have the "what the f*** was that?" type throws but it would be balanced out by the fact a) he could get away with it and b) that one bad throw would have like 3 or 4 throws after it that were great.

Nowadays it seems like those throws are becoming more prominent. Could be due to age, could be due to he fact he went from having an all time great o-line to essentially no o-line.

There needs to be a change in philosophy. I said it and multiple others in this thread said it as well Friday night. Pierce and Zach needs to sit down and realize the days of torching teams over the top because you have 45 minutes to make a throw are gone. It's time for the offense to focus on plays with quick reads, 3 step drops and anything else to take pressure off the o-line. The WR group they have absolutely make this possible.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Gonna be so nice when Montreal’s horseshoe falls out. The air horns make Alouette home games almost impossible to watch.

Even if the top is within reach, i'm not sure this offense is capable of sustaining much of anything going forward. It was already sputtering and relying on the defense to choke out the opposition, now throw in an already suspect o-line losing guys and it's only going to be worse.

My biggest concern honestly might be Collaros. Even at his peak he'd have the "what the f*** was that?" type throws but it would be balanced out by the fact a) he could get away with it and b) that one bad throw would have like 3 or 4 throws after it that were great.

Nowadays it seems like those throws are becoming more prominent. Could be due to age, could be due to he fact he went from having an all time great o-line to essentially no o-line.

There needs to be a change in philosophy. I said it and multiple others in this thread said it as well Friday night. Pierce and Zach needs to sit down and realize the days of torching teams over the top because you have 45 minutes to make a throw are gone. It's time for the offense to focus on plays with quick reads, 3 step drops and anything else to take pressure off the o-line. The WR group they have absolutely make this possible.
Yeah, he’s a Bombers legend no matter what but he’s been killing us this year. Injuries to all the receivers and a poor o-line hasn’t helped, but he needs to be better.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Gonna be so nice when Montreal’s horseshoe falls out. The air horns make Alouette home games almost impossible to watch.

Yeah, he’s a Bombers legend no matter what but he’s been killing us this year. Injuries to all the receivers and a poor o-line hasn’t helped, but he needs to be better.
Viewer's should be complaining about the fing horns in Montreal. It's completely on TSN and how much crowd noise they are mixing in. There were points you couldn't hear the commentary. It's completely unnecessary. I've actually muted the TV.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Feel bad for Edmonton... they'd be a decent team with Tre Ford - but you can see they are pretty fragile right now and MBT really keys in on receivers

Haven't see parity in the CFL like this for a long time - fun to watch this season

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

Both of those, plus the fact that Zach is no longer in synch with his receivers the way he was with Schoen or Wolly. It's telling that when everything was on the line in the last few seconds, he went to Kenny Lawler, even though he's playing at maybe 60%.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad