Pierre Luc Dubois explains for his poor performance in L.A.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Me me me me me, Dubois loves to talk about himself and only himself. It's always about him. His needs will always come first before his team.

GW-ib1bagAAnENQ.jpeg
Screenshot_20240912_190948_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240912_190923_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240912_191808_Chrome.jpg
GW-ib1bboAApbPu.jpeg

Last edited:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i give him some credit for at least being aware of his deficiencies but at some point you just have to be an "NHL player" and play the system right. i get that he's a vision type of player but his floating finds no excuse there

i also see it as an indictment on the kings org as a whole for acquiring a player with known deficiencies and refusing to even attempt to correct them

aside from the f***ing gold star system they put a grown ass NHL player on..

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Washington is probably his last chance

Meh, he’s a 6’4 225lb 26 year old who, even after a bad year in LA, still averaged 54 points per 82 games over the past four seasons. He could easily bounce right back to the 60+ he put up the two years prior to LA. The only way things really get bad for him is he’s at 40 points or less again. At 50+ and definitely at 60+ he’s a flawed player who doesn’t live up to his tools and size, and overpaid, but still a productive NHLer.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Meh, he’s a 6’4 225lb 26 year old who, even after a bad year in LA, still averaged 54 points per 82 games over the past four seasons. He could easily bounce right back to the 60+ he put up the two years prior to LA. The only way things really get bad for him is he’s at 40 points or less again. At 50+ and definitely at 60+ he’s a flawed player who doesn’t live up to his tools and size, and overpaid, but still a productive NHLer.
If it doesnt work out again and hes the issue, Im not sure if many teams will be interested in him for their locker rooms' sake

Reactions: majormajor

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I dunno, he seems to recognize his weakness here, that he gets confused easily in grey areas. Seems like it just wasn’t a great fit. You have to wonder though, at what point is it on you as a player to break through that and perform? Probably at 8.5 mil.

Rumour is that Dubois wasn't very well liked in the dressing room either. Doughty and Dubious didn't see eye to eye and Doughty was calling him out when he said last season that there were players on the team who only cared about their own stats......as JR calls it, "cookies"

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don’t like PLD and I’m still iffy about the trade as a Caps fan. It’s a risky move with 7 years left on the deal compared to whatever was left of Kuemper’s contract.

The only encouraging part in PLD’s comments is that he recognizes being part of the problem at least. Now the next step is for him to realize that he is almost 100% the problem.

If he can’t realize that, he’ll be out of Washington quickly as well.

Aug 3, 2010
I dunno, he seems to recognize his weakness here, that he gets confused easily in grey areas. Seems like it just wasn’t a great fit. You have to wonder though, at what point is it on you as a player to break through that and perform? Probably at 8.5 mil.
I don't have anything against or for Dubois, I guess I never really followed him past his reputation by the fans. That being said...

While I feel like it's reasonable that everyone has expectations and preferences on how to be taught or coached, it's not always realistic to expect that it will be custom-tailored to your preferences. That's just the real world, where one's ideals can't always match the logistical delivery.

Secondly, the man is an athlete at the highest levels of his profession - probably has been playing the sport through multitudes of coaches and systems for longer than most people have held a career in a single field - is it that difficult to adjust, when it's the activity that is not only one's bread and butter but has been since their childhood absorbing and exacting the principle skills required?

Maybe it's a lack of empathy on my part but I feel like I've mastered more complicated jobs, in more varied environments, in less time and in more pressing situations and then adapted and applied those skills and experience in other fairly unrelated career fields.

Athletes and people like Dubois are super-specialized people, it should be easier to adjust.

Last edited:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I don't have anything against or for Dubois, I guess I never really followed him past his reputation by the fans. That being said...

While I feel like it's reasonable that everyone has expectations and preferences on how to be taught or coached, it's not always realistic to expect that it will be custom-tailored to your preferences. That's just the real world, where one's ideals can't always match the logistical delivery.
well, you can expect that, it just tends to end up with you on your 4th team in 9 seasons

Maybe it's a lack of empathy on my part but I feel like I've mastered more complicated jobs, in more varied environments, in less time and in more pressing situations.
it's probably completely out of line but i've said it before and i'll stick to it, i just think PLD is kinda dim

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Don't like this guy whatsoever.

It would appear that the best way to salvage this situation is to look at when he played his best hockey. In the bubble, in the playoffs.

1. There were no other distractions - coaches and players were together all the time, nothing but hockey. Perhaps also the realization that hockey can be taken away and he has no other skills to speak of..
2. Torts always plays front foot hockey... demands effort and energy, full forecheck
3. Spot on PP1. Get him his cookies and get him softer matchups where possible.
4. Be demanding and direct at times but don't go full Torts.
5. I don't think Dubois likes hockey that much and the main motivator is that he can be bought out. He will not want that.

Good luck with him

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Great point, but I can see him fast-tracking the Kuznetsov path at this point. He’s only offense, and if he runs into one more frustrating experience where it just isn’t his fault he could completely fall off. Kuzy did it with 1 squad, PLD has burnt many bridges at this point. I wouldn’t want him, dude just seems to have a bitch mentality.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Yeah, I agree with this. At 8.5 million, you can't have your hand held the whole way through. You have to be able to perform in any system and get your looks through any circumstances. You're paid like a borderline superstar. I'm not going to pretend to understand what it's like to be coached in the NHL and I sorta get his 'Well, they acquired me and were kind of vague in what they expected from me' (which if true is absolutely a bizarre way to handle a guy you gave up a haul for and signed to a giant deal) but you're supposed to be an uber-talented physical freak. You should produce regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad