OT: Winnipeg Blue Bombers 2024 Season Thread (7-6) - No notes needed. - Next at EDM Sept 21 600pm

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Putting Streveler in every time it's second and 1 or 2 is such a stupid move. The defence knows exactly what's coming and they stack the line accordingly. And as this game proved a couple of times, Streveler is NOT automatic. Just leave Collaros in, give the ball to Oliveira if you want to run. Or better yet, mix in some play-action passes to get the defence guessing and back them out of the box -- and maybe pick up 30 yards or a TD to boot. Have we seen ANY play-action passes on second and short this season? I can't remember any. It's always the totally unimaginative decision to put crappy-passer Streveler in and do the same thing over and over and over. Just stupid, that's pee-wee football play calling. Save Streveler for third and 1 (with exceptions). Play f***ing pro football the rest of the time, ffs.

Collaros had his nicest pass in weeks (months? years?) on the TD that the receiver almost fumbled away like a freaking amateur. But many, many times he's too slow to get the ball away. Like the one he threw to the corner of the endzone when the Bombers were moving from left to right. As soon as the pass was out of his hand, before the camera started panning right, I knew it was trouble. The pass was too late, the receiver would have already been standing in the corner waiting and the defensive back would have had time to catch up to him. And that's exactly how it played out. Luckily the defensive back had stone hands and couldn't finish the interception. Had Collaros thrown that ball a second earlier it's a touchdown. The same thing's been happening many times each game, including other examples today. You think maybe Collaros is underthrowing the ball, and while he sometimes is, other times the exact same pass if delivered on time falls right into the receiver's hands. I think his brain is slowing down, just as his arm is getting weaker. That's not going to get better next year either. Bombers should be doing a full-court press to get Nathan Roark here, but I think they'd lose that battle to the Lions even if they try. Too bad. And Streveler sure as hell isn't the answer.

And Whilee is right, with and without hindsight: they should have kicked the field goal. Like I said, Streveler is NOT automatic, especially behind that wimpy offensive line.

BC is tied to VA with a big contract. Holden and I were talking about this last night. He's likely going to go east to Toronto. He's from the area. Unless TO is dumb and keeps Chad Kelly.

I think going for it with 3rd and 1 was the right call. Always giving it to Streveler is not. Demski was wide open on one of them this game.

I saw that too. No challenge left? No CC intervention?

Nope. They used their challenge on a blatant PI that the CC didn't think was PI

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well, with a back to back to BC coming we could end up 2-8 before labour Day. May catch Calgary, but I can't see us winning a playoff game. The run maybe isn't dead, but its on life support.
I dont see how this squad wins against BC. More likely both games are lopsided losses.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Demski got TACKLED on the 2nd down. Most obvious illegal contact ever
The ball was already in the air and play wasn't to him so they won't call that. (or are you talking about the one they did challenge?)

Regarding the FG/Strev play, I wanted the field goal but I don't think you can get mad at O'Shea either way, as much as people want to. Streveler has been an automatic all year, probably get the best short yardage QB in CFL history because of his strength. So I don't think you can get mad at that play. However, I was all for the FG because you get the lead and Toronto has the ball back with less than a minute. Toronto wasn't in the red zone the whole game! So you think at worst, they get into FG range and tie. You hope your D can hold them to zero but worst case they get a field goal.

That play earlier where we challenged for PI and command centre said no is mind boggling, he was all over him quite a bit. Especially when you look at the calls the past two weeks and what we have been called for.

It just seems like the past few years this team could do no wrong. Games they shouldn't have won they found a way to win. And this year is the complete opposite. They just keep finding ways to blow it. Demski once again fumbles as the Bombers march down the field, an absolute momentum killer.

Collaros: 25-32 307yards 1TD 1INT. That's actually a very good game.
Arbuckle: 12-22 87yards. Longest completion is 16 yards.

There is absolutely no way Toronto should have even been close in this game. Five turnovers to one was the deciding factor.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
The ball was already in the air and play wasn't to him so they won't call that. (or are you talking about the one they did challenge?)

Regarding the FG/Strev play, I wanted the field goal but I don't think you can get mad at O'Shea either way, as much as people want to. Streveler has been an automatic all year, probably get the best short yardage QB in CFL history because of his strength. So I don't think you can get mad at that play. However, I was all for the FG because you get the lead and Toronto has the ball back with less than a minute. Toronto wasn't in the red zone the whole game! So you think at worst, they get into FG range and tie. You hope your D can hold them to zero but worst case they get a field goal.

That play earlier where we challenged for PI and command centre said no is mind boggling, he was all over him quite a bit. Especially when you look at the calls the past two weeks and what we have been called for.

It just seems like the past few years this team could do no wrong. Games they shouldn't have won they found a way to win. And this year is the complete opposite. They just keep finding ways to blow it. Demski once again fumbles as the Bombers march down the field, an absolute momentum killer.

Collaros: 25-32 307yards 1TD 1INT. That's actually a very good game.
Arbuckle: 12-22 87yards. Longest completion is 16 yards.

There is absolutely no way Toronto should have even been close in this game. Five turnovers to one was the deciding factor.

In OT. It was illegal contact. You can't outright tackle like that

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
First of all, how on earth did the Elks trade Ceresna. Jones should have been fired right then.

Neufeld finally out of the OL but the bleeding continues - Walters is paying a high price for not paying his OL - needed to pony up for Desjarlais or Couture - both were key losses.

I find it impossible to believe that a rookie American tackle cannot perform as well or better than Lofton - the right side of our line is painful to watch even with Eli. Both him and Neufeld were simply dominated.

Game was not bad - but also not good. This Bomber team does not have a killer instinct and Oshea's coaching this year is pretty suspect.

On the upside, Nichols and Ford are looking really really good and Kramdi is suddenly around the ball - a lot. Special teams looks solid but how is Chris Smith not on the roster...

Last game I wrote this as the summary...

Things that are becoming a guarantee each game
- Collaros will force a throw into double or triple coverage
- Younger will call cover 0 late in the game and his blitz won't work
- Lofton gets beat outside consistently
- Demski fumbles after a big play
- Bighill whiffs on key tackles
- Osh calls a 60 yard field goal

Bighill also had some nice tackles - but its hard to deny he has lost a step - Jones is a welcome surprise...

And we didn't get a 60 yarder

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Rourke released by the Giants, dude might not have the chops for the NFL. Maybe he wants be be a clipboard guy and collect a pay check but it might be in his best interest to get back up here and give the NFL more to look at.
That's not going to matter (more CFL reps). He comes back to CFL, NFL is done forever. Rourke could easily start on several NFL teams, be better than most backups on the rest. But nobody will give him a chance cause he wasn't a high draft pick, it's really that simple.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's not going to matter (more CFL reps). He comes back to CFL, NFL is done forever. Rourke could easily start on several NFL teams, be better than most backups on the rest. But nobody will give him a chance cause he wasn't a high draft pick, it's really that simple.
3 NFL QB starters were undrafted, and another 10 were drafted in the 100s and 200s.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
There is no doubt they should have kicked that field goal. The Agros didn't move the ball well on offense all game. If you can't trust your defense in that situation you will never trust them. They were giving the ball to Arbuckle not Brady.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
NFL talent scouting is definitely inefficient, I don’t think it’s THAT inefficient. Put it this way: I wish that were true, as the Patriots could’ve rolled with Rourke as their bridge starter rather than mediocre Jacoby Brissett.

Rourke looked great in NFL preseason but it’s just that, preseason. I think it’s more like he’d be a QB2 upgrade for a handful of teams, but gets squeezed by later round picks that teams are more invested in.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
NFL talent scouting is definitely inefficient, I don’t think it’s THAT inefficient. Put it this way: I wish that were true, as the Patriots could’ve rolled with Rourke as their bridge starter rather than mediocre Jacoby Brissett.

Rourke looked great in NFL preseason but it’s just that, preseason. I think it’s more like he’d be a QB2 upgrade for a handful of teams, but gets squeezed by later round picks that teams are more invested in.
Rourke is better than Jacoby Brissett right now. No question about it.

But they can't sell that to the average fan. Need to have that "experience".

Yes I was over exaggerating earlier when I send only high draft pick matters. It's critical, but not the only thing that matters. "Experience" matters to them. Nathan Petermann still has a job. Petermann wouldn't come close to a CFL roster. But he started 7 games throwing 3-4 ints per td 8 years ago, so what a key veteran have to keep signing him! Age and bonus money as well. Rourke is undrafted 26 year old with no bonus money, no experience, no draft pedigree so no team wanted to give him an honest shot. If they did and had to be honest about who was better and had more upside they might have to cut someone with guaranteed money. Unfortunately talent ranks somewhere down around 5th in terms priority for NFL teams all too often.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
First of all, how on earth did the Elks trade Ceresna. Jones should have been fired right then.

Neufeld finally out of the OL but the bleeding continues - Walters is paying a high price for not paying his OL - needed to pony up for Desjarlais or Couture - both were key losses.

I find it impossible to believe that a rookie American tackle cannot perform as well or better than Lofton - the right side of our line is painful to watch even with Eli. Both him and Neufeld were simply dominated.

Game was not bad - but also not good. This Bomber team does not have a killer instinct and Oshea's coaching this year is pretty suspect.

On the upside, Nichols and Ford are looking really really good and Kramdi is suddenly around the ball - a lot. Special teams looks solid but how is Chris Smith not on the roster...

Last game I wrote this as the summary...

Things that are becoming a guarantee each game
- Collaros will force a throw into double or triple coverage
- Younger will call cover 0 late in the game and his blitz won't work
- Lofton gets beat outside consistently
- Demski fumbles after a big play
- Bighill whiffs on key tackles
- Osh calls a 60 yard field goal

Bighill also had some nice tackles - but its hard to deny he has lost a step - Jones is a welcome surprise...

And we didn't get a 60 yarder

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
if he returns, it ll be to the lions....too bad
Very unlikely he'd go to Lions. They have the CFL's top QB locked in already.

Basically every team would offer Rourke ~2mil over 3 years if he comes back. It'll be 100% his decision where to go.

Rourke is from Toronto area. Argos would be the front runner if he returns, IMO. Elks might be interesting from his perspective, if he could turn that franchise around it further solidify his legacy.

But it won't be this season, that's for sure.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Sounds like Rourke went unclaimed, be interesting to see what his next move is
The next move appears to be Atlanta. The Falcons are bringing him in for a workout on Wednesday.

Which checks out given how much of a shitshow they turned their QB situation into over the offseason. Highly unlikely he cracks their roster given their #3 on the depth chart is an experienced NFL backup

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The next move appears to be Atlanta. The Falcons are bringing him in for a workout on Wednesday.

Which checks out given how much of a shitshow they turned their QB situation into over the offseason. Highly unlikely he cracks their roster given their #3 on the depth chart is an experienced NFL backup
Im surprised that a CFL could not compete with NFL PR salary... like $600k hard money and $400k 'promo' money is totally legal now

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Im surprised that a CFL could not compete with NFL PR salary... like $600k hard money and $400k 'promo' money is totally legal now
Rourke would make much in CFL last year and this year if he'd stayed. That's not really the question here. Lions reportedly offered him around 700k to stay in CFL after 22. He made around 200k in NFL last year, so what around 300k Canadian. EDIT: 3downnation is saying he made ~500k US last year cause he was on an NFL roster for 6 games last year, which would then probably be comparable to the 700k BC offered him.

If he gets on an active roster, it'll obviously be better for him than CFL.

CFL money is always going to be there, if he decides to come back to CFL in 2025 or 2035 pretty much, they'll be teams lining up sign him. But this is his only real NFL chance.

I saw rumours yesterday that Falcons are trying to unload Heinicke. Falcons are probably shopping for a #3 assuming they'll dump off Heinicke in the next few days.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Rourke would make much in CFL last year and this year if he'd stayed. That's not really the question here. Lions reportedly offered him around 700k to stay in CFL after 22. He made around 200k in NFL last year, so what around 300k Canadian.

If he gets on an active roster, it'll obviously be better for him than CFL.

CFL money is always going to be there, if he decides to come back to CFL in 2025 or 2035 pretty much, they'll be teams lining up sign him. But this is his only real NFL chance.

I saw rumours yesterday that Falcons are trying to unload Heinicke. Falcons are probably shopping for a #3 assuming they'll dump off Heinicke in the next few days.
I could see it. Heinicke is owed 4.5 million this season and generally speaking that's far too much money for a third string QB.

Curious to see how though. They probably won't outright cut him since they would incur a 3+ million dollar dead cap charge and i can't see anyone trading for him.

Also not sure it makes sense for Rourke given their QB depth chart is basically set for the next half decade with Cousins and then Penix.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I could see it. Heinicke is owed 4.5 million this season and generally speaking that's far too much money for a third string QB.

Curious to see how though. They probably won't outright cut him since they would incur a 3+ million dollar dead cap charge and i can't see anyone trading for him.

Also not sure it makes sense for Rourke given their QB depth chart is basically set for the next half decade with Cousins and then Penix.
Mostly agreed, and Rourke is probably just saying yes to anyone who'll have him right now.

But if Falcons unload Heinicke, it may be a sneaky decent landing place as a #3. 36 year old coming off Achilles injury might not be the most reliable to be out there week after week. Decent chance he gets hurt again. Then if they are carrying 3 QBs, he's now on the roster, behind a rookie who had consistency issues in college from what i heard. From what i know Penix is also a guy who likes to run, may injury concerns there as well. Often running QBs get more beat up. If he gets on the roster with only Penix in front of him, you just never know.

No matter where he goes now, #3 is absolutely best he's gonna do. Being behind an old guy coming of a serious injury and a rookie might be among the better options.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Mostly agreed, and Rourke is probably just saying yes to anyone who'll have him right now.

But if Falcons unload Heinicke, it may be a sneaky decent landing place as a #3. 36 year old coming off Achilles injury might not be the most reliable to be out there week after week. Decent chance he gets hurt again. Then if they are carrying 3 QBs, he's now on the roster, behind a rookie who had consistency issues in college from what i heard. From what i know Penix is also a guy who likes to run, may injury concerns there as well. Often running QBs get more beat up. If he gets on the roster with only Penix in front of him, you just never know.

No matter where he goes now, #3 is absolutely best he's gonna do. Being behind an old guy coming of a serious injury and a rookie might be among the better options.
When you put it like that, it actually makes sense. No one is even sure Cousins bounces back (though given he doesn't rely on mobility it's probably fair to say he most likely does) and Penix's injury history is pretty extensive.

Still doesn't seem likely for him, but when you put it like you did i can at least understand the logic.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I mean the difference is making 1-1.2 million Canadian (so 800-900 USD) in the CFL and playing/being the face of the league... or buried.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad