Confirmed with Link: Laine, 2nd 2026 to Montreal for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Well, fans be fans. Canadian fans even more so and among Canadian fans Montreal might have the best and the worst... But yeah, it's hilarious and/or infuriating at times. If you ever feel like this place is bipolar or overreacting to a bad game or whatever, go stalk the boards of pretty much any Canadian team and see what it's like when things are not going well.

I think it's in part just the level of passion/sense of importance for hockey and the scale of it. And as usual, often times it's of course not the same fans, though following the discussion around Laine, I was surprised in how many cases it actually was :D You could go through post histories of some people and find fans who went from "wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole even if we got him from free" to "wow a what a steal, I bet he's gonna score 50" or something like that...
Someone legit tried to pull this on Reddit this morning. A Habs fan tried to say how he supports our franchise and how he wants to cheer for Columbus when someone dug up their post history and pointed out not 2 weeks ago they were talking about how awful Columbus as a hockey team/city was and how Laine was being wasted on our dysfunctional team.

• Haha
Reactions: squashmaple

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Let's face it, Laine is an excellent player and the Habs were lucky to have him:

• He wanted to play in another team, btw I don't blame him for wanting to leave, people who have mental issues see a lot of things differently. I know this from personal experience, as I know people like that. Judging by the words of Werenski (yes, Zach MM-tähti puhuu Patrik Laineesta: ”Todella paskamaista”), Fantilli Olivier and Johnny Gaudreau (God rest his soul 🙏 ) he was not a cancer.
  • Patrik was frequently injured (the origin of the injuries is another matter) and in the NHLPA program, which automatically means the price goes down radically.

Hughes used his experience and made an excellent trade for Montreal. I'm sure he'll show his potential.

I wish Montreal makes it to the PO and beats Toronto in the first round. :D

And don't take the fans so seriously, they are completely different in Canada, especially in Montreal and Toronto, than they are in the US. For them, hockey is a religion. They are almost like in Europe. :nod:

---

But Patrik is gone and other players stayed. I hope they show their potential and we play in the PO. I refuse to be in a defeatist mood, we must always have the highest goals !!!

I plan to watch as many games as possible again, the goal is to watch all of them, but this season it probably won't be possible, more like 70 - 75 games.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Patrik is not an excellent player. He is a very good player. It remains to be seen how lucky the Canadiens are to have him.

I wish him the best as a person but I don’t care what he does as a player any more. If he’s successful I won’t even bemoan it because he asked out and what were you gonna do. I will be comfortable paying as much attention as I would any random Habs player.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Patrik is not an excellent player. He is a very good player. It remains to be seen how lucky the Canadiens are to have him.

I wish him the best as a person but I don’t care what he does as a player any more. If he’s successful I won’t even bemoan it because he asked out and what were you gonna do. I will be comfortable paying as much attention as I would any random Habs player.
The best season shows who is right. 😉
Honestly, except Fedorov, Bobrovsky and now Laine and Gaudreau, I have absolutely no interest in any former Columbus Blue Jackets player. So understand you very well. 😼

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
You can combine Laine's 4 years in Columbus and he wouldnt have even won the rocket last year :laugh:
Sure, and your point is? (I must admit i have great respect for those that agreed with you) but have you ever seen the quote from an investment firm that past performance is not a guarantee of future success? Well this is the opposite of that. You infer that Laine is not great, because he wasn't for us.

I recognize Laine's weaknesses and he may never meet his ceiling, but we traded him away to save the owners money that will likely not be spent to get better. Really? Our fanbase is ok with that?

And to the fans in 102 that screamed obscenities at my teenage son because he had the gall to boo the on ice performance.."This is our team you blankety blank if you don't like the way we play don't come to the games". Baa baa

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I recognize Laine's weaknesses and he may never meet his ceiling, but we traded him away to save the owners money that will likely not be spent to get better. Really? Our fanbase is ok with that?

That's not why we traded him away. Have you not read up on the team in the last four plus months?

Reactions: Xoggz22

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
No, but if he manages to lose to TTUN a fourth year in a row I'll reconsider. :)

You can have the absolute greatest record in the world but I like to look at your record in the big games. Let’s face it there’s only a handful of teams in the Bug 10 that are really good and on,y one top tier. His record isn’t great in Bowl games he better start winning against Meatchicken.

As for Montreal fans they’re like the NY Yankee fans and with good reason. Still in this century they’re more like Jacket fans.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Sure, and your point is? (I must admit i have great respect for those that agreed with you) but have you ever seen the quote from an investment firm that past performance is not a guarantee of future success? Well this is the opposite of that. You infer that Laine is not great, because he wasn't for us.

And to the fans in 102 that screamed obscenities at my teenage son because he had the gall to boo the on ice performance.."This is our team you blankety blank if you don't like the way we play don't come to the games". Baa baa
Yeah, he wasnt great for us and if he goes on to do it for someone else it doesnt mean he would have here. But that all means nothing like most of your post because I think you are confused on why the trade actually happened

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
A player who managed to have a point per game on a team without a center and with a weak defense, playing better than your (my too, although I like Voronkov and Chinakhov more) beloved Marchenko, if I'm just talking about wings, couldn't help the team under a system coach and more offensive defense...

Let's face it, some of you have always hated him. It is normal, everybody understands it because every man has person's whom he/she does not like, me too. And in that case, often see only bad things, so let's not talk about fair analytics. Btw, this applies to every player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
A player who managed to have a point per game on a team without a center and with a weak defense, playing better than your (my too, although I like Voronkov and Chinakhov more) beloved Marchenko, if I'm just talking about wings, couldn't help the team under a system coach and more offensive defense...

Let's face it, some of you have always hated him. It is normal, everybody understands it because every man has person's whom he/she does not like, me too. And in that case, often see only bad things, so let's not talk about fair analytics. Btw, this applies to every player.
You are acting like a player with an 8.7mil contract shouldnt have higher expectations than a rookie/sophmore on an ELC. Again I have no idea what you are trying to say or argue

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
You are acting like a player with an 8.7mil contract shouldnt have higher expectations than a rookie/sophmore on an ELC. Again I have no idea what you are trying to say or argue
Okay, imagine the lines (if 2022/23 season, his best here and players with whom he played more, except Gaudreau). And I do not say about coaches and other lines.

Jenner - Matthews - Roslovic
Jenner - Roslovic - Rantanen
Jenner - Roslovic - Marner
Jenner - Roslovic - Reinhart

Gavrikov, Peeke
Berni, Gudbranson

To his play, read @majormajor posts on his thread on rumours of his trades. I would never write it, mean his play without the puck/defense. I though @Marioesque wrote it first. 😉

Johnny had excellent stats in Calgary but not so good here. Hope he forgot to play hockey here.

Btw if compare him with Matthews 5v5 stats are very interesting.

Marchenko is 23-24 in his second season. Also I doubt he has potential to be score more than 40 goals/82 games and get more than 60-70 points/82 games maximum. But honestly, I want to be wrong, really. 🙂

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
To Harris. I think he can be 7th d-man. I prefer:

Werenski, Severson
Provorov, Gudbranson
J. Johnson, Jiříček

pairs first.

I do not claim he is not so good on the other side he is talented but I prefer an experienced player with Jiříček in the first part of the season. Also not fact Jordan is better than Svozil and/or Gudbranson.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Okay, imagine the lines (if 2022/23 season, his best here and players with whom he played more, except Gaudreau). And I do not say about coaches and other lines.

Jenner - Matthews - Roslovic
Jenner - Roslovic - Rantanen
Jenner - Roslovic - Marner
Jenner - Roslovic - Reinhart

Gavrikov, Peeke
Berni, Gudbranson

To his play, read @majormajor posts on his thread on rumours of his trades. I would never write it, mean his play without the puck/defense. I though @Marioesque wrote it first. 😉

Johnny had excellent stats in Calgary but not so good here. Hope he forgot to play hockey here.

Btw if compare him with Matthews 5v5 stats are very interesting.

Marchenko is 23-24 in his second season. Also I doubt he has potential to be score more than 40 goals/82 games and get more than 60-70 points/82 games maximum. But honestly, I want to be wrong, really. 🙂
Again none of this matters and aside from Reinhart the guys you listed are line drivers and they'd still get their points

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Again none of this matters and aside from Reinhart the guys you listed are line drivers and they'd still get their points
Really? 😉 I doubt they would have more 82 points, maybe 85.

But it's not important at the moment. Laine is no longer our player. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him, watch the Habs games if we won't play, or St. Louis (only if Dvorský plays).

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That not elite.

Alex DeBrincat did the same exact thing. Somebody has to score on bad teams too. Mikel Granlund had 60 in 69GP this year for the Sharks.
If you want to go by stats and not look at how much Granlund got in a 5v5 game, what partners he had, what conditions the players were in, etc., then there's no point in discussing it.

Apropo, no need to change my post, just add the stats within yours. 😏 Especially if you count all seasons include the last when he played after concussion and only 18 games. I hope you never have a concussion and have to compare your work before and after etc. 🙂

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
If you want to go by stats and not look at how much Granlund got in a 5v5 game, what partners he had, what conditions the players were in, etc., then there's no point in discussing it.

Apropo, no need to change my post, just add the stats within yours. 😏 Especially if you count all seasons include the last when he played after concussion and only 18 games. I hope you never have a concussion and have to compare your work before and after etc. 🙂
Laine has had 3 total seasons with a 5v5 Pts/60 over 2. His rookie year, then 2 years in Cbus where he played 55iah games.
DeBrincat has had 4 seasons with over 2 Pts/60, 3 of them playing 82 games. Granlund had 1.7 5v5 Pts/60 this year, so what’s your point? There were 101 forwards this year with >2 Pts/60 5v5… Fantilli and Chinakhov both on that list, with KJ just outside.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine has had 3 total seasons with a 5v5 Pts/60 over 2. His rookie year, then 2 years in Cbus where he played 55iah games.
DeBrincat has had 4 seasons with over 2 Pts/60, 3 of them playing 82 games. Granlund had 1.7 5v5 Pts/60 this year, so what’s your point? There were 101 forwards this year with >2 Pts/60 5v5… Fantilli and Chinakhov both on that list, with KJ just outside.
Debrincat played with Patrik Kane and with Dylan Larkin in Detroit.
Also Laine had two excellent seasons in Columbus.
And have you thought about the fact that he didn't play 82 games, but on the other hand he had to get in shape, especially in the 2022/23 season, which caused the stats to deteriorate?
If everyone is on a level playing field, we can judge who is better. This is the basis of statistics. Alternatively, additional statistics are made that take into account many more parameters.
You and I will disagree 🙂 The next seasons will judge us.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Debrincat played with Patrik Kane and with Dylan Larkin in Detroit.
Also Laine had two excellent seasons in Columbus.
And have you thought about the fact that he didn't play 82 games, but on the other hand he had to get in shape, especially in the 2022/23 season, which caused the stats to deteriorate?
If everyone is on a level playing field, we can judge who is better. This is the basis of statistics. Alternatively, additional statistics are made that take into account many more parameters.
You and I will disagree 🙂 The next seasons will judge us.
If he was truly an elite player he’d make other guys better.

Travis Konecny scored 68 points in 76GP, and scored 5v5 at 2.29 P/60. His linemates were Couturier and Forester. He had 30 more points than both, give me a break.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If he was truly an elite player he’d make other guys better.

Travis Konecny scored 68 points in 76GP, and scored 5v5 at 2.29 P/60. His linemates were Couturier and Forester. He had 30 more points than both, give me a break.
He made other guts better, look at stats. 😏
I said the next season shows who is who.
This is the end of the Laine discussion for me.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowumbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad