Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another season, and another hockey website downgrading the Canucks chances. The Hockey Writers have listed the Canucks as one of the five teams mostly to regress this season. They're concerned about the Canucks shooting percentages, which were unsustainably high last year.

But I guess it's best to go into the season underrated. It's interesting that another team projected to not regress were the Oilers. And that assessment makes little sense to me---based on the decimation of their blueline; pretty ordinary goaltending, and the loss of some serious team speed in McLeod, Holloway and Fogel.

I think you can also make the case that compared to the team that started the season a year ago, the Canucks are definitely deeper up front; and their blueline is at least as competent as it was a year ago. And with Hughes potentially building on his Norris Trophy season, there's a chance it's even better.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think they've said outright that they are keeping the colors.
I’d bet their logo is done for the most part. Name picked out as well. Going through the trademarks. I believe the Wash commanders of the nfl didn’t get a trademark which is strange but on brand with Dan Synder.

These colors must work with their logo. Was hoping it would be purple to match the Jazz outfits from the Stockton/Malone days. NHL very few purple/green base color jerseys.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
This is a brilliant campaign, in ways that a lot of people might not notice -- the hockey players, hockey equipment and hockey rink actually subtly underscore the "hockey club" theme and cement it in the public consciousness.

I don't think it's that deep. They can now release a new logo and jersey next year with the same colours and cash cow all the new merch. Then they have an inaugural or 'retro' jersey in their 1st year history. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but it just sounds like you've been watching too much Mad Men.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Got a 13 year old pregnant when he was 20.
She was 12 -- 13 when she gave birth.

I don't think it's that deep. They can now release a new logo and jersey next year with the same colours and cash cow all the new merch. Then they have an inaugural or 'retro' jersey in their 1st year history. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but it just sounds like you've been watching too much Mad Men.
I was joking. Calling a hockey club "Hockey Club" is incredibly silly and half-assed

Reactions: andora

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
FWIW, IIRC, Amsterdam's metro area also has a roughly similar population, and part of the reason it is smaller area-wise is that less car-centric focus, which was at least in part a conscious choice made after, I believe, the 70s.

Yes, North American cities have certain very unfortunate decisions laid into their structure, but the assumption that this car-centricity is some kind of force of nature rather than a collective choice we have all made and continue to make every day is kind of sad, and just kind of boring.

The bigger issue here is the commodification of every element of life, where our egos become inseparable from our belongings. A simple, practical, utilitarian vehicle stands no chance in the market against an F250 Diamond Cowboy Navy Seal Tuff Guy Edition or the Land Cruiser Luxury Jumbo Jet model or whatever.
Hey as an 80 series owner I take offense to this /s.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Hey people, I'm a big fan of the transportation discussion! Love it! But with the season approaching it's time to start keeping threads clean and avoiding off-topic discussions. I moved all the recent transit talk to the OT thread. Please continue there.

Thanks!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Hey people, I'm a big fan of the transportation discussion! Love it! But with the season approaching it's time to start keeping threads clean and avoiding off-topic discussions. I moved all the recent transit talk to the OT thread. Please continue there.

Thanks!

Another thing that bugs me is when pylons (see image below) try and prevent lane movement but traffic gets through anyways.

i

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
the utah colours are awful. the pittsburgh powder blue, a white stripe, black???

going from the coyotes with one of the best schemes in the league, to this, is a travesty.

it will be even worse when the canucks seemingly inevitably change to black too

My guess is these lame ass designs allow for cheaper manufacturing costs. Logos are becoming rather bland these days.

The Canucks logo may not be my favorite but the blue and green colour scheme is unique to the West Coast.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
the utah colours are awful. the pittsburgh powder blue, a white stripe, black???

going from the coyotes with one of the best schemes in the league, to this, is a travesty.

it will be even worse when the canucks seemingly inevitably change to black too

Agreed. Totally surprised they didn't use the purple of the Jazz.

Coyotes red and white jerseys were boring. Only when they brought back the kachina was it interesting.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

The wives of both Matthew and Johnny were pregnant with children. Both kids will grow up without their fathers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad