Winnipeg Attendance

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
imagine what their attendance looks like when they inevitably have a half decade or so where they're a bad team like every team does eventually

Reactions: kgboomer

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
IMHO, for the cost of a couple to go to five games with decent seats, you can buy a 120" 4K UHD screen to watch the games with a frankly better overall experience, and when the games are over you'll still have the screen.
Yeah but that's the same argument for almost every NHL rink in the world outside of like 8 where ticket prices are nothing. I don't see it as a bash Winnipeg thread , just the reality of a small market team.

Reactions: kgboomer

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
I personally think that Winnepeg is the canary in the coal mine with regard to ticket prices for the non-corporate fans. I think the Jet's are probably more exposed because of a lower % of corporate attendees to games, but I expect that you're going to additional pricing pressure elsewhere. NHL tickets are the epitome of luxury item, and the cost to go to a game is more than just the ticket price (parking, concessions, etc.).
This is exactly it, it was also a perfect storm.

The Jets handled the pandemic in the worst possible way in every facet. On the other hand the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL) handled it perfectly and from top down have done a much better job at marketing to fans, corporate, etc. and they sell out 30k every game.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
This makes sense. I can get behind mismanagement and poor marketing as an excuse for lackluster attendance, the guys in this thread claiming ticket prices are too high or that the team is "too vanilla" when it keeps making the playoffs I don't.
It’s a combination of both. A season ticket holder is going to take their seat for all 41 games whether he/she wants to go or not. When the franchise milks that season ticket holder for everything and give them no incentive to attend the games that they don’t want to be at, they’re going to need to attract 10-20 new people to fill the void for every person they pissed off and chased away across 41 games. Do that for 5,000+ season ticket holders and suddenly you have an empty building, because you’re not going to find 50,000-100,000 people to fill those 5,000 seats very easily at higher prices for 41 games.

I liked going to every game I could with the ST, the week was always busy and it was decent entertainment. Without ST, I wouldn’t have made the effort to go to even half of the games. With 0-2% annual price increases instead of the nearly automatic 5% annual increase, and protecting resale for STH, they would have a lot more season ticket holders remaining to rely on. Reserving seats for companies would’ve done the same. So many others never got the chance to go to a game in the first few years because TNSE made no effort to allocate the remaining tickets to new fans, so there were fewer fans as a whole. Just a comedy of errors to push loyal fans away, failing to reach out to new ones, and wasting the huge energy that the excited fans brought.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Why does the owner being filthy rich while the peasants can't afford games make you guys feel better about the attendance. Like obviously the owner is eating good they all are lmao

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
God's country just outside of Calgary
Last year's average attendance in Winnipeg was 13,500 which was, not counting Arizona and their 5000 seat arena, the worst in the league.
The owners must have lost a shit ton of money last season and its not looking any better this year so far.
Filthy rich owners don't stay filthy rich by hanging on to money losing businesses.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I too am a little discouraged at Winnipeg even though I know tickets aren't cheap and the economy isn't the best at the moment. I was honestly expecting them to be the Green Bay Packers of the NHL when they returned in 2011.

Having said that, 2024 is not 1994 and the reasons teams like then relocated back then were for things that aren't of a concern right now. Jets will be fine in the long run but hope the attendance turns it around soon.

But then again they are ahead of big markets like Miami and the Bay Area...

There is NOT a hockey team in Miami.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005

They did say "markets like Miami", and I think it's hard to argue that the Panthers don't play in the Miami market.

You didn't quibble with "Bay Area" even though there's only one team at one edge of the bay.

Reactions: H3ckt1k

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
They did say "markets like Miami", and I think it's hard to argue that the Panthers don't play in the Miami market.

You didn't quibble with "Bay Area" even though there's only one team at one edge of the bay.

Because I didn’t live in the Bay Area. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale. The Panthers play in Sunrise, Florida (Broward county). Not in Miami (Dade county). Just stating facts.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I think more entertained by the cringe little brother syndrome any small Canadian city has towards Toronto. Nothing feels better than beating Toronto for Winnipeg while there are at least a dozen teams Toronto cares more about beating.
everybody hates Toronto. for just this post..... You think we give a crap about TO and it's fans...NOBODY DOES.

Most Jets fans could give a half a crap about the Leafs. Never did never will.

The old Smyth rivalries still are the most common, The Oilers, The Flames ... the new Central rivalries like Minnesota and Colorado...and the Prds....

the cringe is YOU thinking Jets fans consider TO a rivalry...

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
LOL this argument again

I'll just do some NFL teams....

The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington
The Los Angeles Rams play in Inglewood
The NY Giants and Jets play in East Rutherford NJ
the San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara CA which is nex to SJ
The las Vegas Raisers play in Paradise NV
The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park NY
The Washington football team plays in George's country Maryland

Reactions: Golden_Jet

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I remember bettman saying during the team's inception something to the extent that this building needs to be full in order for this to work.

Am I misremembering?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad