Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XIII (Nanaki edition)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I must have missed, with Rempe, why a 22 year old who hasn't performed well against lower competition, is locked in to an NHL job and can't go down to the AHL to learn. It's not just offense. He clearly has to learn about how to be physical in a smarter way without the amount of high hits and elbows he's had so far. The point of the AHL is to learn these things without the high stakes of the NHL. He barely even plays in the NHL when he does play. You'd think he could go to the AHL and the coaching staff could be instructed to give him his 8-11 mins/game, let him try the PK, not bench him in the third period etc.
Who said he's locked to NHL job and must not go to the AHL to continue working on his game? At this point him staying on the NHL roster is a result of Vesey being injured, and by and large nothing else.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Also, Rempe has had several big moments including in the playoffs. Edstrom’s big moments came in a rookie camp and preseason game.

Rempe barely played in the preseason and was told to skip rookie camp, he didn’t have those same opportunities to impress against sub-tier competition.
Again (and again and again) - you'd be served much better if you didn't mention Edstrom in your post. I don't know how you still don't realize that by making these comparative statement you push other posters sentiment against Rempe, not for him.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
This is such B.S , Edstrom is not an NHL player. He couldn't even produce well in the AHL. I don't care what he did in the training camp. Those games were meaningless.

Both of them aren't that talented BUT at least Rempe is a fighter who can fire up the crowd and teammates. Poll the fanbase and the teammates on who should play, Rempe wins.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Again (and again and again) - you'd be served much better if you didn't mention Edstrom in your post. I don't know how you still don't realize that by making these comparative statement you push other posters sentiment against Rempe, not for him.
There’s a reason edstrom and Rempe are linked.
We have 3 4th line spots.
Carrick is a 4th line center. And brodz isn’t waiver eligible so he’s up unless we want to risk him. Vesey is a 4th line regular as well.
So now it’s between edstrom and Rempe for that last spot.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Rempe has a role to play in the NHL, albeit not in a fulltime capacity yet. It doesn't matter who likes it or hates it. And no, Carrick doesn't fill that role anymore than Rempe fills Carrick's role. And if they decide Rempe would benefit from some more time in Hartford, that's fine too. Kid is only 22, and will be for the entire season.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
This is such B.S , Edstrom is not an NHL player. He couldn't even produce well in the AHL. I don't care what he did in the training camp. Those games were meaningless.

Both of them aren't that talented BUT at least Rempe is a fighter who can fire up the crowd and teammates. Poll the fanbase and the teammates on who should play, Rempe wins.
Edstrom sure looks like an NHL player to me.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

The assumption here that I think is erronious is that a player needs to score points in the AHL in order to be a more effective 4th liner.

There's a reason why NHL 4th lines are generally occupied by players like Sam Carrick, Adam Erne, and Darroll Powe, none of whom were big AHL producers to start, and not players like Greg Carey or PA Parenteau. The're there to play 8 minutes, knock into people, play responsible defense. In some cases, as the bottom end of the lineup a simple "Get the puck to the net and look for screens/rebounds" is actually more effective at producing offense than watching a skilled fourth line try to pass the puck into the net.

Edstrom is marketably better at preventing chances against than is Rempe. That's the top priority for a sparingly used checking line. We wouldn't be better off with a 4th line of Othmann-Henriksson-Berard over Edstrom-Carrick-Vesey.

Remember when we had a 'shootout' 4th line of Wolski-Christensen-Zucc under Torts? It was a disaster. They were awful.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Do you watch the games?
Production isn’t the only metric to being an nhl player.
The fans you’d likely poll would want a team of 12 rempe’s and would likely have a record of 10-72, but the fans would be happy.

Reactions: Atax and noncents

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Carrick is a 4th line center. And brodz isn’t waiver eligible so he’s up unless we want to risk him. Vesey is a 4th line regular as well.
Other than EdJovo it seems that it's pretty much a consensus at this time that once Vesey returns it's Edstrom over Rempe with the latter going to Hartford to continue developing there.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Yeah other player do play better - from their own personal admissions, retired or active or coaching staff etc.

Personally, I don't separate fighting from hockey skills - it's part of overall skillset. How important it is obviously subjective but it should not be excluded or completely discounted / disregarded just because you can't exactly quantify it as goals or assists. In someways it's no different than goalie making an amazing highlight save can have a similar impact on skaters in offensive situations.
It's very overrated in today's game. Momentum rarely changes guys get kicked out so you play short. On the list of hockey "skills" it's way down at the bottom. Somewhere near giving between period interviews.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Other than EdJovo it seems that it's pretty much a consensus at this time that once Vesey returns it's Edstrom over Rempe with the latter going to Hartford to continue developing there.
i don't believe this will happen.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
unless we do what we should, ditch vesey now, rotate carrick + brodz for depth

Reactions: EdJovanovski

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Good thing the fanbase and his teammates aren't the ones responsible for roster management.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
For a message board that screams an awful lot about developing players, I don't understand the grief Rempe gets. He's raw but he has some skill and instincts. Size is good come May. It doesn't have to be an either or between him and Edstrom. I'd play both. Brodz's best asset is that he plays a position the team is woefully thin at, let him be the 13th forward.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
It's very overrated in today's game. Momentum rarely changes guys get kicked out so you play short. On the list of hockey "skills" it's way down at the bottom. Somewhere near giving between period interviews.
It's overrated, but not as much as your making it out to be. It still serves a purpose in todays game. Since Rempe has been apart of the team we haven't been bullied once. Can't say the same thing 2-3 years ago.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
For a message board that screams an awful lot about developing players, I don't understand the grief Rempe gets. He's raw but he has some skill and instincts. Size is good come May. It doesn't have to be an either or between him and Edstrom. I'd play both. Brodz's best asset is that he plays a position the team is woefully thin at, let him be the 13th forward.
Because leaving him in the nhl isn’t developing him?
He’s extremely raw. There’s zero need for him to be in the nhl getting 5-6 minutes a game. The people who want him up and playing those minutes typically long for guys like rob ray, tie domi etc.
Rempe adds almost zero value in anything except hitting and fighting. And he is likely to get penalties because he’s earned a reputation for not hitting cleanly.
Putting him back in the ahl, lets him actually play real minutes and develop into an actual positive nhl player.

So the board is still pro development. We’re just consistent about it, whereas some people want face punchers and don’t care that it’s a waste of a roster spot and that he doesn’t really add value

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Brodz is the 13th F. He and Rempe are alternating depending on opponent.

When Vesey comes back, I anticipate Edstrom going back to the AHL and Rempe/Brodz continuing to alternate. Although I wouldn't send Edstrom down and I'd be grooming him to be 4C.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Because leaving him in the nhl isn’t developing him?
He’s extremely raw. There’s zero need for him to be in the nhl getting 5-6 minutes a game. The people who want him up and playing those minutes typically long for guys like rob ray, tie domi etc.
Rempe adds almost zero value in anything except hitting and fighting. And he is likely to get penalties because he’s earned a reputation for not hitting cleanly.
Putting him back in the ahl, lets him actually play real minutes and develop into an actual positive nhl player.

So the board is still pro development. We’re just consistent about it, whereas some people want face punchers and don’t care that it’s a waste of a roster spot and that he doesn’t really add value
He played one game so far and his minutes got screwed up because Edstrom got kicked out of the game. I don't care that he's a face puncher, I think there's more to him that just that but he's got something you can't teach, size. You don't have to be condescending about it. But if they decide he'd be better served in Hartford, that's cool too. I just think we should be rooting for him to become a good bottom 6 guy.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

I remember my 1st beer too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad