Winners and losers of the 2024 NHL draft?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Philly prob are the biggest losers of the draft. giving up Buium for a 3rd
To be fair, if the Flyers drafted Buium, he would have either refused to play for the team, come down with some mystery ailment that would make him retire early, changed careers and become a head chef somewhere - undoubtedly it would not have worked out because this is the Flyers way.

We can all be happy they didn't draft him so the kid can go and have a great career. Instead, we took a future 3rd line center so we can stay mediocre to bad. The hockey gods will allow this.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Grading the Caps' draft will likely hinge on whether Terik Parascak ends up justifying the slot he was taken at. He's high reward, based on his "point accumulation" ability and reputation for work ethic and all situations play could end up one of the best players from the class, but he could also never solve some of the concerns that prospect analysts had for him going in.

IF Hutson ends up closer to his brother than a Christian Djoos type for example that could also move them into a 'winners' column.

Ask me again in 5 years.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This is what alarms me the most. If you're going to isolate a singular position of need, fine. But Hage and Helenius, IMO, are objectively better. Not only did you pass on them, but once the "rebuild" that isn't actually happening is complete, you'll be competing with the teams that got both Helenius and Hage.
Doesn't the "IMO" make them subjectively better?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cam York never posed a problem. I just don’t see how one player ruins it for an organization.

Still, Helenius was the best centre at that point.
Luchanko came on in the eyes of scouts. He's faster than Helenius, but otherwise plays a similar game, and is almost the exact same size. Coaches love him, and praise his IQ. I don't see any difference between him and Helenius- I like both.

Luchanko was a decent pick, and if PHI doesn't need an offensive LHD then i understand the move. In real time, they had very little time to make a deal, and i can only assume that MN's was the best one, allowing them to move back only one spot, still be able to pick the player they wanted, and gain a 3rd out of it.

I really like Buium, but like most prospects in this draft besides Celebrini, he has his flaws. He needs to work on his defending, and skating(mostly for speed).

Reactions: Blueston

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Pittsburgh the big loser. Take this with a grain of salt, as I am a Caps fan.

This organization is struggling with the “in between times”, and seem to be making things worse.

It’s time to blow it up Pittsburgh.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Very jealous that players like Artamonov went at 50. That's fantastic value.

Rangers missed out some some players that dropped by not having a pick until 119, which they moved up to grab. (Seemed pointless by then). I said this was going to be a draft where players are going to drop to the 2nd/3rd round and teams having multiple picks would make out with a lot of potential. Oh, well. I don't hate their first pick in Emery but i'm not super hyped over it either.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
I am curious to know who Montreal was targeting when they moved up to 21.
It was Hage all along apparently. Hughes mentioned he had a trade in place for the pick if he didn't get him. Toronto thought the same way.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
San Jose won by far.

Underrated pick: Winnipeg. For a team that didn't have much draft capital, I felt like they got good value.
Hard not to win with Celebrini. Dickinson falling was... Something else. I'm less familiar with prospects outside the 1st round, but we landed a 1st round calibre guy at #33. Super, super happy with this draft. Things are looking up, finally.

Reactions: 67 others

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2