Winners and losers of the 2024 NHL draft?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sometimes it’s best to not overthink it …. And just take the guys that fall to you

I feel like minnasota has kinda had that happen to them for a few years
Yeah, in the case of Boldy. Never understood that one. Thought MN would be taking Soderblom, in 2019. Same with Heidt, last year, falling to the very end of the 2nd.

-In the case of Wallstedt, they had to trade up, and did, after finding a willing stoo...er.. trade partner.

- They made a determination to take Ohgren at #20 over Yurov, even though they liked Yurov more. They felt the Russian factor would drop Yurov, and that's the way it worked out.

- They had to make a trade under pressure with PHI to get Buium, when I am sure that other teams were trying to move up, too.

MN helped themselves in the above cases. Made trades, and acted on inside info to get good picks. It took more than luck.

SJS had a killer draft. MTL, too. Celine Dionne making the call on Demidov was an inspired choice.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
As a Blues fan I absolutely love how Carolina took on this draft. If we take out the Poirier pick, which I wasn't a fan of, I feel like they got tremendous value out of every other pick they made.

With how many picks they make every year they can afford to use one on a guy like Poirier and not regret it in the least if it goes nowhere.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
1 San Jose A+++
2 Long Island A++
3 Vancouver A+
4 Seattle A+
5 Washington A
6 Carolina A
7 Florida A
8 Minnesota A
9 Las Vegas A
10 Los Angeles A-
11 Dallas A-
12 Calgary A-
13 Colorado B+
14 New Jersey B+
15 Winnipeg B+
16 Buffalo B
17 Utah B
18 Anaheim B
19 New York B
20 Boston B-
21 Montreal B-
22 Saint-Louis B-
23 Pittsburgh B-
24 Detroit C+
25 Nashville C+
26 Ottawa C+
27 Tampa Bay C
28 Columbus C
29 Chicago C
30 Edmonton D+
31 Philadelphie D+
32 Toronto E

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
IMG_0035.jpeg

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Winners in no particular order:

Minnesota Wild
Drafting Zeev Buium at 12 is just a great value pick. I had him as a top 5 player and the best defenseman of the draft. They continued to get great value in Ryder Ritchie 45 and Aaron Kiviharju at 122.

Carolina Hurricanes
I have them in this spot every year. They just got great value with their two second round picks in Badinka (34) and one of my favorites of this draft in Artamonov (50). Noel Fransen at 69 was a sneaky good pick too and taking a swing at Justin Poirer at 156 doesn’t hurt.

Montreal Canadians
Montreal got the 2nd best player of the draft at 5 in Ivan Demidov and a solid player in Michael Hage at 21. Of course they were going to draft Sakku’s son as well. I’m not super familiar with their later round picks but their first round picks make their draft a success to me.

Buffalo Sabres
I think Buffalo did really well this year again with their picks. Konsta Helenius at 14 was likely the best player available and they drafted some American players I like in Adam Kleber (a huge but raw defenseman) at 42, an underrated Brodie Ziemer at 71 and a highly regarded defenseman in Luke Osburn. I think they had a good draft.

Calgary Flames
On paper, this is one of the best drafts for Calgary in recent memory. Their first round definitely had some swings with Parekh at 9 and Matvei Gridin at 28. But, you have to like some of their later picks. Andrew Basha at 41, Henry Mews at 74, and Luke Misa at 159 are good value picks. This could turn out to be a great draft for Calgary.

Losers in no particular order

Anaheim Ducks
Almost always when a team reaches that high for that type of player, it doesn’t work out. I could be wrong, but they passed on a ton of talent to draft Beckett Sennecke at 3. I mean look, I like their picks in Solberg at 23 (a very physical defenseman), Patterson at 35 (a fast and skilled center) and Masse at 66 (a big power forward). But, you just can’t be a winner with Demidov and Lindstrom still on the board at 3 for me.

Chicago Blackhawks
Their draft could turn out to be a really good draft for them, but I am not a fan. I didn’t view Levshunov as the best defenseman of the draft let alone the 2nd best player overall. The fact Chicago took away the prospect of seeing Demidov and Bedard together makes them a loser. Maybe Vanaker and Boisvert turn into great forwards for them, but I feel like there were better options available. I like the fact they drafted Mustard.

Pittsburgh Penguins
I’m a Pens fan and I didn’t like their draft at all. Harrison Brunicke at 44 and Tanner Howe at 46 just didn’t sit well with me. I guess they aren’t terrible picks, but the upside is minimal. I don’t mind drafting Mac Swanson at 207, but I felt there was way more potential in Christian Humphreys (who is also from Pittsburgh). I was expecting more from Dubas. I was hoping he’d draft looking for skill and motor.

Edit:

I forgot to mention San Jose as an obvious winner. They picked up some great pieces.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Winners in no particular order:

Minnesota Wild
Drafting Zeev Buium at 12 is just a great value pick. I had him as a top 5 player and the best defenseman of the draft. They continued to get great value in Ryder Ritchie 45 and Aaron Kiviharju at 122.

Carolina Hurricanes
I have them in this spot every year. They just got great value with their two second round picks in Badinka (34) and one of my favorites of this draft in Artamonov (50). Noel Fransen at 69 was a sneaky good pick too and taking a swing at Justin Poirer at 156 doesn’t hurt.

Montreal Canadians
Montreal got the 2nd best player of the draft at 5 in Ivan Demidov and a solid player in Michael Hage at 21. Of course they were going to draft Sakku’s son as well. I’m not super familiar with their later round picks but their first round picks make their draft a success to me.

Buffalo Sabres
I think Buffalo did really well this year again with their picks. Konsta Helenius at 14 was likely the best player available and they drafted some American players I like in Adam Kleber (a huge but raw defenseman) at 42, an underrated Brodie Ziemer at 71 and a highly regarded defenseman in Luke Osburn. I think they had a good draft.

Calgary Flames
On paper, this is one of the best drafts for Calgary in recent memory. Their first round definitely had some swings with Parekh at 9 and Matvei Gridin at 28. But, you have to like some of their later picks. Andrew Basha at 41, Henry Mews at 74, and Luke Misa at 159 are good value picks. This could turn out to be a great draft for Calgary.

Losers in no particular order

Anaheim Ducks
Almost always when a team reaches that high for that type of player, it doesn’t work out. I could be wrong, but they passed on a ton of talent to draft Beckett Sennecke at 3. I mean look, I like their picks in Solberg at 23 (a very physical defenseman), Patterson at 35 (a fast and skilled center) and Masse at 66 (a big power forward). But, you just can’t be a winner with Demidov and Lindstrom still on the board at 3 for me.

Chicago Blackhawks
Their draft could turn out to be a really good draft for them, but I am not a fan. I didn’t view Levshunov as the best defenseman of the draft let alone the 2nd best player overall. The fact Chicago took away the prospect of seeing Demidov and Bedard together makes them a loser. Maybe Vanaker and Boisvert turn into great forwards for them, but I feel like there were better options available. I like the fact they drafted Mustard.

Pittsburgh Penguins
I’m a Pens fan and I didn’t like their draft at all. Harrison Brunicke at 44 and Tanner Howe at 46 just didn’t sit well with me. I guess they aren’t terrible picks, but the upside is minimal. I don’t mind drafting Mac Swanson at 207, but I felt there was way more potential in Christian Humphreys (who is also from Pittsburgh). I was expecting more from Dubas. I was hoping he’d draft looking for skill and motor.

Edit:

I forgot to mention San Jose as an obvious winner. They picked up some great pieces.
Not having SJ on this is bold.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Haven't taken a ton of time to look through all the teams but Carolina and San Jose (not even considering Macklin) stick out to me as sneaky smart/great value.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Minnesota and San Jose were my two big winners.

Minnesota -
Zeev Buium was a great pick - I had him in my top 8.
Ryder Ritchie was good value at 45.
Aron Kiviharju I had in my second round.
Only pick I felt was poor was Steven Leskovar, I don't see him being much other than an AHL goon.

San Jose
Dickinson was my second favourite defender of the draft - he was in my top 5....
Sahlin Wellenius was tremendous value at 56.
Carson Wetch can absolutely fly, I liked that pick
Colton Roberts was a high value pick

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Utah is doing pretty well with draft picks and trades
If we are picking who won the draft in terms of everything involved, it has to be Arizona.

Mikhail Sergechev
John Marino
Tij Iginla
Cole Beaudoin
Will Skahan

It’s been a great two days for the new club.

Not having SJ on this is bold.
I added them as an edit lol. It was too obvious that they had a good draft for me to even think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad