Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Tarasenko to a 2 year deal

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Mazur was injured until the start of November.

What is this horsehist about him being ready?

Kasper was no-show early at the AHL season. He turned it around at mid-season, but he didn't earn NHL-callup at any point.

Edvinsson had that off-season injury. He got his opportunity later, but it was delayed by ~6 months.

These are pure facts which did slow their callups. You pretty much lose a season, if you lose summer training period or critical months from autumn, to even get game shape at AHL.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If they were ready they would have been called up, all the others teams can do whatever they want. Our brass has different plans.
If this was the case, Edvinsson would have played 82 games last year (minus injury time). He was obviously at worst our third best defenseman in every single game that he played. Management can make mistakes. We can have a systematic flaw in our evaluation as a team. Last year we didn't get AlJo any games. That was an obvious failure. Berggren barely played, obvious failure. Kasper and Mazur didn't even get a cup of coffee, obvious failure. We had 4 fringe NHL defenseman playing consistent minutes while Edvinsson dominated the AHL, so it's not like playing well in GR is the problem.

We're too chicken shit to take risks, even risks with great odds. I feel like I could offer Lalonde and Yzerman a deal: "I'll roll these 6 sided dice, if they're not both 1s, I'll pay you 1 million dollars. If they're snake eyes, you get nothing. It costs $1 to play." And they'd talk it over amongst themselves and decide that's too risky.

I do like the Tarasenko signing though and think that the kids should be winning jobs out over other players. Tarasenko is a positive addition and the kind of player I'm happy to bring in alongside the kids. We can't stick to last year's "vet mentality" if we ever want to rebuild though.

Reactions: DoMakc

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
If this was the case, Edvinsson would have played 82 games last year (minus injury time). He was obviously at worst our third best defenseman in every single game that he played. Management can make mistakes. We can have a systematic flaw in our evaluation as a team. Last year we didn't get AlJo any games. That was an obvious failure. Berggren barely played, obvious failure. Kasper and Mazur didn't even get a cup of coffee, obvious failure. We had 4 fringe NHL defenseman playing consistent minutes while Edvinsson dominated the AHL, so it's not like playing well in GR is the problem.
And Yzerman made room for Ed by dumping Walman, after Ed proved he was ready in those games. He earned his call up, when there is a need for call up, earlier and then in those games he proved that can, not only play but contribute for the team.

How exactly AlJo not getting any games is a failure? D stayed relatively healthy all season, 6 d-men missed 44 games, 7th D Holl only played 38 games and Ed played 16 games. Where exactly you fit Johansson? Kasper and Mazur weren't ready and playing 1-2 NHL games doesn't play a special factor in development, it's not a must and they get their games next season. So definitely not a failure.

As for Berggren, unfortunately for him Kane arrived and Larkin missed 14 games, Compher 5 games, Copp 3 games and Veleno 2 games. So for 24 games they needed a center, what Berggren is not and Czarnik is, so that explains 24 out his 34 games. The other 10 could have gone to Berggren unless Lalonde wanted a player who can play in different role than Berggren. But does that really matter anymore? Berggren plays top-9 & PP minutes next season regulary.

Every prospect gets their chance to show their readiness in the camp and if they are ready they get called up, when they are needed and then they can really prove if they are ready, when all the teams are playing for points. And they manage to do that, then Yzerman starts getting rid off the plugs. I don't see a flaw in that system, prospects has to work their way up and work to stay up. That teachess not to take anything for granted and competitiveness stays high, all the time.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
the flaw is that you can end up being too relient on injuries creating the time and space for the kids to come up and get that shot. Though it also looks like right now the Wings are leaving a roster spot or two open up front for someone to earn in training camp.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Mazur was injured until the start of November.

What is this horsehist about him being ready?

Kasper was no-show early at the AHL season. He turned it around at mid-season, but he didn't earn NHL-callup at any point.

Edvinsson had that off-season injury. He got his opportunity later, but it was delayed by ~6 months.

These are pure facts which did slow their callups. You pretty much lose a season, if you lose summer training period or critical months from autumn, to even get game shape at AHL.
Opinions.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
the flaw is that you can end up being too relient on injuries creating the time and space for the kids to come up and get that shot. Though it also looks like right now the Wings are leaving a roster spot or two open up front for someone to earn in training camp.
It worked out for Raymond and Edvinsson and injuries happen every season. If last season was relatively healthy season, 2022-23 was different, 7th D Lindström played 36 games and 8th D Hägg 38 games. Everyone(myself included) said when Ed arrived to North America that he is ready to play and he started in AHL but was ready enough to get called up for 9 games. After the season everyone said, he's ready to play next season and what does Yzerman? Signs Ghost and Holl and later on trades for Petry. So after all it looks like that very ready looking Edvinsson didn't earn his spot until late this season.

Let's face it, kids can earn their future call up in the training camp and when they get called up, then they have a chance to prove that they belong in NHL. If they do that, then Yzerman gets rid off someone.

What open spot or two?
Top-9:
Larkin
Ray
Cat
Kane
Compher
Tarasenko
Berggren
Ras
Copp
------
4th line:
Motte
Veleno
Fischer
+ 8 D + 3 G = 23-men roster

Injuries can of course open a spot.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
For some of us this is the late Shawn Burr. I do think because of the end people don't remember Cleary as a much better player than the very end. I always appreciated his game.
He worked hard , but could not keep up and was a lot of booo toward him and because of that he was getting even more frustrated

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
For some of us this is the late Shawn Burr. I do think because of the end people don't remember Cleary as a much better player than the very end. I always appreciated his game.

Agreed. People seem to forget that Cleary was a reliable 20 20 guy who would do anything asked of him. Those last Holland gift contracts overshadowed how good he was for the Wings.

And RIP Shawn Burr. I loved that guy when he played for the Wings.

Cleary , ether way not lucky number

Are you kidding? This Wings roster could use a prime Dan Cleary.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He worked hard , but could not keep up and was a lot of booo toward him and because of that he was getting even more frustrated
Cleary was a good skater and one of our better forecheckers before his body gave out. I don't really agree with this. I know at the end he had a lot of problems, out of the lockout when we were competitive he was a very useful guy to us, his speed being one of the reasons.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cleary was a good skater and one of our better forecheckers before his body gave out. I don't really agree with this. I know at the end he had a lot of problems, out of the lockout when we were competitive he was a very useful guy to us, his speed being one of the reasons.

He was pretty good on those 5 prime years, when healthy. From 2006 to 2011.

1723979283129.png

And that last good run happened at 2013 playoffs. 10 points at 14 games.

Only Z had more playoff points that year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Obviously Cleary had some extra given as a lockerroom guy because he is still in the organization. Hw was extended because he was right kind of person, not about how his knees would hold up.

His story kind of reminds me of Olli Jokinen, who also wasted his youth years and then did a career turnaround, becoming a real professional. Now Jokinen is doing extremely great developmental job as coach with young players, because he will understand the different problems kids could have at young age, and put them on the right path.

Cleary could be the same person, who will understand things, with his "wakeup" story, when he is developing our kids.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Holland aside, what always made me wonder was the level that Helen St James went to bat for Cleary. Like I've seen fluff pieces but she always seemed way more involved in his contracts than most beat writers. Even wrote the Philly 3 year contract thing, which I'm not sure was ever confirmed to be real.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad