Tennis: US Open 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Muchova looked nervous at the start of that game. The last thing I was expecting was that she was going to break back.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Wow. I didn’t expect that.

Muchova looks much better IMO. Pegula hanging around though, anybody’s game I guess at this point. Muchova gives Sabalenka a better run in the final in my opinion, but as an American I was hoping for at least one win tonight 😂👍

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The worm may have truly turned. Karolina's facial expressions show worry and fragility more than confidence, and Pegula has been in these sort of situations so many times before.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a great match to show how the psychological is as important as the physical when winning a meaningful tennis match. Loads of credit to Pegula for mounting that comeback. She deserves more credit than I usually give her and her performance tonigh is a good instance of that.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Sabalenka v Pegula in a rematch from Cincy, not sure I see much changing from that meeting but who knows with the mental side of Sabalenka being in the final v another American.

Tomorrow's predictions:
Sinner in 4
Fritz in 5

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fritz over Tiafoe: This isn't a lock, but it is hard to imagine a universe where Foe copes with that serve for five sets.

Sinner over Draper: If Sinner can raise his play almost at will, the way he did against Daniil, I don't see much hope for a first-time GS semifinalist who might be a little awed by the situation in the first place.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
You are overselling that.

Sabalenka obviously dictated the match. No one can dictate one against her, but she won the first set by one break and second in a breaker.

Credit on the Pegula call pre tournament and yeah I was commentating here during the match but that match definitely did get tighter later. If I'm Sabalenka's team though, I'm probably happier she dealt with some adversity in the semis than just breezing by. It wasn't a total insane 3 setter like Keys like last year's was for Sabalenka but some adversity will do her good come Saturday.

Fritz over Tiafoe: This isn't a lock, but it is hard to imagine a universe where Foe copes with that serve for five sets.

Sinner over Draper: If Sinner can raise his play almost at will, the way he did against Daniil, I don't see much hope for a first-time GS semifinalist who might be a little awed by the situation in the first place.

Only way I can see Fritz losing is if we get some vintage Foe net play which he's done somewhat the last couple of weeks of hard court.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Just finished the matches after NFL, about what you would expect from Navarro, not a bad fight in the second set, but the rightful result.

Strong fight back from Jess, great summer for her, happy for her. Still think it's Sabalenka in 2 on Saturday, but this feels like the correct finals in terms of player form.

Good month of work for Jess, wins Canada ($523,485) finalist in Cincy ($308,320) and a guaranteed 1.8 million from the Open, with a chance to bump that to 3.6 million with a win.

Tomorrow, going with Fritz and Sinner. Crowd should be great for the night match, I just think Taylor has too much power right now for Francis, but will take 4 long sets. I'll give Draper a set tomorrow, but I'm not confident in that, the wrap on his leg can't be a good thing vs Sinner, and while the 15 sets in a row is highly impressive, he's pretty much had a dream run in terms of who he got to play (not his fault, you play who the draw gives you).

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Credit on the Pegula call pre tournament and yeah I was commentating here during the match but that match definitely did get tighter later. If I'm Sabalenka's team though, I'm probably happier she dealt with some adversity in the semis than just breezing by. It wasn't a total insane 3 setter like Keys like last year's was for Sabalenka but some adversity will do her good come Saturday.
I also picked Sasha, so my record is mixed, but I’m definitely not complaining that Fritz beat him.

Pegula has been in excellent form this summer hard court season, but the way things are going I don’t know if she’ll even make it to 3 against Sabalenka. I thought Navarro didn’t play bad, and she still couldn’t even win a set. Alexandrova takes the first set off Sabalenka in the third round after Alexandrova was pushed deep into 3 by a 16 year old in round 2. I watched both those matches. The difference in level from Alexandrova was shocking. Only set Sabalenka has lost so far.

Tomorrow will be interesting. Hope, but not expecting, we get a good match in the afternoon. I have high hopes that the evening match won’t disappoint.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The last time the US Open had a finalist in both the men's and women's tournaments was 2002. In fact in 2002, all four finalists were from the US. From the beginning of the Championships in 1881, US players absolutely dominated the tournament with 85 male champions and 93 female champions. For comparison, Australia is second in each category with 18 male champions and six female champions.

Makes the long 20 year drought between male champions in the Open era seem even more jaw dropping than it is. The longest previous drought in this time period was five years (1985 to 1990).

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
For what it is worth, and it isn't much, Draper beat Sinner in their only meeting. Lot of caveats: it was back in 2021 and it was on grass (Queens) and the sets were a matching pair of 7-6s.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Draper is doing that Roddick thing--wearing his tennis top a size too large. I guess he likes them loose.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Draper actually looks good so far, his hamstring is gonna be the story here. We'll see how it holds up with the physicality

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Sinner's last name is so perfect for him. As long as he doesn't win any more majors I'm happy.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
4-all as they exchange breaks. Dead even set so far.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In the 11th game, Draper digs a whole for himself with some questionable shot selections and Sinner and his smart defensive play (he'll take that backhand/forehand exchange trade off every day) won't let him crawl out of it.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Funky first set, Draper broken again with his tremendous serve. Sinner has to end this set before a goofy TB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad