Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
No, most players do not lose 20-25 lbs over the season.

So you don't think over the span of 6-8 months, 100k+ miles of air travel, and burning close to 5k calories a game they don't lose weight over the season?

I mean, you could just look at their club photos at the start of a season and then see them at the end of the year in interviews and see how much thinner their faces are and you don't think they lose weight?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So you don't think over the span of 6-8 months, 100k+ miles of air travel, and burning close to 5k calories a game they don't lose weight over the season?

I mean, you could just look at their club photos at the start of a season and then see them at the end of the year in interviews and see how much thinner their faces are and you don't think they lose weight?
He didn't say they don't lose weight, just that it's not 20-25lbs. Which I would agree with.

Reactions: Cake Eater

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

This is mostly from memory, but my impression from a sports med paper that I can't find anymore is that everyone loses at least 5 lbs, most about 10 and few more than 15. I tried a quick Google search for quotes and while I refuse to put in the work gathering those statistics, my impression seemed pretty spot on.

Also, I'm not worried about Mazur's weight. Him losing 25 lbs is pretty absurd. The guys that lose more than 15 are almost always the chubbier players like big Buff and Ovie.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is mostly from memory, but my impression from a sports med paper that I can't find anymore is that everyone loses at least 5 lbs, most about 10 and few more than 15. I tried a quick Google search for quotes and while I refuse to put in the work gathering those statistics, my impression seemed pretty spot on.

Also, I'm not worried about Mazur's weight. Him losing 25 lbs is pretty absurd. The guys that lose more than 15 are almost always the chubbier players like big Buff and Ovie.

I remember Zetterberg talked about losing 8 kilos (~15 lbs).

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
All depends on players metabolism. Seen guys who can maintain all through a season, no problem. Seen guys like Carter, where it can be a struggle, even if they do all the right things.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022

Lol air travel makes you lose weight? What in tarnation.

He didn't say they don't lose weight, just that it's not 20-25lbs. Which I would agree with.
The hyperbole is just not necessary. 5 lbs on average? Sure, I buy that. These guys have world class nutritionists, this ain’t 1980 smoking cigs in the locker room anymore.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Lol air travel makes you lose weight? What in tarnation.

The hyperbole is just not necessary. 5 lbs on average? Sure, I buy that. These guys have world class nutritionists, this ain’t 1980 smoking cigs in the locker room anymore.
Jet lag effecting sleep patterns and immune system always active fighting off whatever is prevelant in various locales.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
this ain’t 1980 smoking cigs in the locker room anymore.

IMG_2877.gif

Reactions: Cake Eater

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Yeah, I remember Zetterberg talking about being 15-20 lbs lighter by the end of the season.
The way a player plays has to factor in too. Zetterberg was a warrior night in night out. Big minutes, hard minutes, and never shied away from contact or board battles. Not surprised at all he could lose that much over a season.

Take a player like Patrick Kane, on the other hand. Yes he plays big minutes historically. But having watched him sporadically over the years, and frequently last season, he spends a lot of his ice time just gliding with the occasional burst of effort for an offensive opportunity. Defensively there's very little effort to speak of, and don't expect him to jump into many board battles. Effective player in his own right obviously, but I would be very surprised if he loses any significant amount of weight over a season.

Bringing this back to Mazur, I predict he would be more like Zetterberg than Kane given what we know of his playstyle and intensity level. But we also need to keep in mind that all players are subject to the grind over a season. So Mazur will lose weight, yes, but so will everyone else. As long as he gets to a manageable playing weight to start a season, which he seems to be doing, then there should be no issue.

Last edited:

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Jet lag effecting sleep patterns and immune system always active fighting off whatever is prevelant in various locales.
They aren’t traveling to Africa, it’s a 0-3 time zone flight. Jet lag is barely a thing.

The way a player plays has to factor in too. Zetterberg was a warrior night in night out. Big minutes, hard minutes, and never shied away from contact or board battles. Not surprised at all he could lost that much over a season.

Take a player like Patrick Kane, on the other hand. Yes he plays big minutes historically. But having watched him sporadically over the years, and frequently last season, he spends a lot of his ice time just gliding with the occasional burst of effort for an offensive opportunity. Defensively there's very little effort to speak of, and don't expect him to jump into many board battles. Effective player in his own right obviously, but I would be very surprised if he loses any significant amount of weight over a season.

Bringing this back to Mazur, I predict he would be more like Zetterberg than Kane given what we know of his playstyle and intensity level. But we also need to keep in mind that all players are subject to the grind over a season. So Mazur will lost weight, yes, but so will everyone else. As long as he gets to a manageable playing weight to start a season, which he seems to be doing, then there should be no issue.
Yeah Zetterberg is the outlier here. He struggled to put on weight this more easily lose it. Most others don’t have that problem.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The way a player plays has to factor in too. Zetterberg was a warrior night in night out. Big minutes, hard minutes, and never shied away from contact or board battles. Not surprised at all he could lose that much over a season.

Bringing this back to Mazur, I predict he would be more like Zetterberg than Kane given what we know of his playstyle and intensity level. But we also need to keep in mind that all players are subject to the grind over a season. So Mazur will lose weight, yes, but so will everyone else. As long as he gets to a manageable playing weight to start a season, which he seems to be doing, then there should be no issue.
These guys are on the ice basically every day for like 7-8 months. Trying to talk about weight loss over a whole season based on different play styles is the most middle of the summer on a message board thing I've heard.

How many calories burned during games due to play style do you think plays a factor? Vs how hrd they practice, their diet etc.

If anything I would guess Zetterberg lost a lot of weight over the season because he was resting his back in the off season and not training super hard. Mazur is going to come in having worked his bag off all summer, hes not going to be losing a tonne of weight over the course of the year.

This conversation speculating about how much a guy will weigh and trying to guess based on playstyles is pretty ridiculous to anyone who knows anything about metabolism

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
These guys are on the ice basically every day for like 7-8 months. Trying to talk about weight loss over a whole season based on different play styles is the most middle of the summer on a message board thing I've heard.

How many calories burned during games due to play style do you think plays a factor? Vs how hrd they practice, their diet etc.

If anything I would guess Zetterberg lost a lot of weight over the season because he was resting his back in the off season and not training super hard. Mazur is going to come in having worked his bag off all summer, hes not going to be losing a tonne of weight over the course of the year.

This conversation speculating about how much a guy will weigh and trying to guess based on playstyles is pretty ridiculous to anyone who knows anything about metabolism
I'll ignore the needlessly condescending tone to try and keep this productive.

You don't think the differences in work ethic and commitment that are obvious in game situations also impact practices and workouts? So we're supposed to believe that someone like Kane is working his ass off on the practice drills, huh? It's interesting that you acknowledge that some players will burn more calories during a game because of how they play, but seem to think that it doesn't translate to non-game situations. Seems like a ridiculous claim to make when laid out like that. So when comparing a player who approaches the overall game in a more casual way vs a player who gives maximum effort in all situations, yes I would expect there to be a meaningful difference in calories burned over the course of a season. Odds are, the player giving it his all in games is also giving it his all in practices and workouts, whereas the one who glides and doesn't show intensity unless a scoring chance presents itself is probably doing the same in practices too.

That's not even getting into the fact that the 82 games they play are by far the most intensive physical activity they do during the season. Resistance training burns relatively few calories and practices are generally far less intense than a game situation. The primary purpose of practice isn't conditioning, it's working on skills and systems. They're not trying to wear down their players so that their bodies are exhausted come game time, losing streak practices under Tortorella notwithstanding. The games are where the bulk of calories are burned during the season.

I think you've got it backwards on Zetterberg. His back issues meant he was not able to keep up the maintenance in-season, because his body couldn't handle both playing at a top level and training at a top level. So playing games at a top level took precedence, and the training suffered. Zetterberg getting the day off on practice days, or using customized workouts to work around his limitations, was a common occurrence later in his career. So his season was overwhelmingly cardio from games, hence the extreme weight loss, which just reinforces the fact that games are where the majority of (non-rest) calories are burned. If he could have kept up a typical resistance training regimen in-season, it would have minimized muscle loss.

And yes, metabolism plays a role, obviously. But we don't exactly have access to the metabolism levels of NHL players, do we? So I'm not going to speak on that because it would be baseless speculation, I can only speak to the factors we do have supporting information on. And besides, metabolism is a minimal factor when talking about professional athletes. Michael Phelps was not eating 10,000 calories a day because he had a high metabolism, he was eating that much because he was burning that much in physical activity. These are professional athletes, they are all eating a lot of food and burning a lot of calories. Their food intake and activity levels are far more important factors than their individual metabolisms.

Bringing this back to Mazur, if he is able to start the season at a reasonable weight, and maintain a proper resistance training regimen in-season, then I don't think weight loss will affect him negatively. At least no more than it affects all of the other players who are in the same situation.

Reactions: odin1981

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I'll ignore the needlessly condescending tone to try and keep this productive.

You don't think the differences in work ethic and commitment that are obvious in game situations also impact practices and workouts? So we're supposed to believe that someone like Kane is working his ass off on the practice drills, huh? It's interesting that you acknowledge that some players will burn more calories during a game because of how they play, but seem to think that it doesn't translate to non-game situations. Seems like a ridiculous claim to make when laid out like that. So when comparing a player who approaches the overall game in a more casual way vs a player who gives maximum effort in all situations, yes I would expect there to be a meaningful difference in calories burned over the course of a season. Odds are, the player giving it his all in games is also giving it his all in practices and workouts, whereas the one who glides and doesn't show intensity unless a scoring chance presents itself is probably doing the same in practices too.

That's not even getting into the fact that the 82 games they play are by far the most intensive physical activity they do during the season. Resistance training burns relatively few calories and practices are generally far less intense than a game situation. The primary purpose of practice isn't conditioning, it's working on skills and systems. They're not trying to wear down their players so that their bodies are exhausted come game time, losing streak practices under Tortorella notwithstanding. The games are where the bulk of calories are burned during the season.

I think you've got it backwards on Zetterberg. His back issues meant he was not able to keep up the maintenance in-season, because his body couldn't handle both playing at a top level and training at a top level. So playing games at a top level took precedence, and the training suffered. Zetterberg getting the day off on practice days, or using customized workouts to work around his limitations, was a common occurrence later in his career. So his season was overwhelmingly cardio from games, hence the extreme weight loss, which just reinforces the fact that games are where the majority of (non-rest) calories are burned. If he could have kept up a typical resistance training regimen in-season, it would have minimized muscle loss.

And yes, metabolism plays a role, obviously. But we don't exactly have access to the metabolism levels of NHL players, do we? So I'm not going to speak on that because it would be baseless speculation, I can only speak to the factors we do have supporting information on. And besides, metabolism is a minimal factor when talking about professional athletes. Michael Phelps was not eating 10,000 calories a day because he had a high metabolism, he was eating that much because he was burning that much in physical activity. These are professional athletes, they are all eating a lot of food and burning a lot of calories. Their food intake and activity levels are far more important factors than their individual metabolisms.

Bringing this back to Mazur, if he is able to start the season at a reasonable weight, and maintain a proper resistance training regimen in-season, then I don't think weight loss will affect him negatively. At least no more than it affects all of the other players who are in the same situation.
You took a lot more of effort to respond to some of the naysayers with a fully fleshed out so I thank you.

When I played football in HS while by no means professional level by the end of the season I was always 20lbs less than I started. Offseason training was primarily to bulk up and gain weight so I wasn't a shriveled up grape halfway through the season.

Also in the military we had a desert training package that was about 4-5 weeks long. Everyone at its conclusion at least in the infantry was significantly lower weight. Same for the mountain training, and jungle training packages you could have to do. High energy and output situations almost always result in weight loss. Hell in combat in just a 7 month deployment I lost 70 lbs. So this idea that the invisible internet tough guys like to expose just further go to prove to me that they haven't had to deal with anything highly physical over a extended period of time in life.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to explain in a way my patience couldn't allow me too.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

You realize they also eat right?

Yeah, I remember Jimmy Howard gaining 75 lbs one season though, so it all balances out.

Yeah, he used to trade his extra pounds to teammates so they could look better.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Pronman just ranked our prospect pool at 14. One thing to note is he's very high on Danielson but doesn't think we have any future "stars" in the pool yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad