Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Gaymes needs to settle down a bit.
Either at fight limit or over now. Suspensions will be coming if he keeps fighting.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Win!!! Nice breakout game for Nesbitt. Really elevating his game this year. We outscored our deficiencies but that won't happen late in the year. Hate to say it but Froggett is looking really suspect. 5 goals on 20 shots does not cut it even as a backup. I'd give him another couple of starts to see an improvement.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
They're not all going to be pretty but take the two points and the lesson. I'll post more later but best wishes to Cole Davis on a full recovery. He took a crosscheck to the neck and went down in the second period; trainers, doctors, and stretcher all came out. It was an eerie, scary scene. We'll see when information comes out.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Spits get another win. Third period was not pretty but credit to Owen Sound for not giving up. not every game is going to be a dominant performance for all 60 minutes, this is a competitive league. Belchetz is close to breaking out. He hit the post and had a great pass on his assist. Really like Hicks, he is going to be a great d man. Spellacy also had a nice assist.

Newlove is ranked for this upcoming draft, he should be with the Spitfires, he is already signed. We definitely have a ton of goalie depth now.

Nesbitt was rated as a B (2nd,3rd round) but if he continues to put up points I think he can go in the 1st round.

Niagara in town next, should be a good one, expecting a crowd of about 5,500 - 6,000.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Per HC Greg Walters post-game - It's not Davis' head, looks like an upper body injury. They're still waiting on reports and don't know a lot right now. But, they don't think it's as bad as it looked.
More of a freak play then anything else on the Davis hit saw the replay and there was contact no doubt but the contact was more high chest then the head area and the momentum spin him into a bad angle. Or at least from the replay it showed that.

If he was in open ice and not along the boards likely would more knocked the wind out of him then anything.

Never I nice thing to see a player get hurt on any team but odd plays happen and players get caught in odd positions Davis happened to be the unlucky player who was on the receiving end of bad circumstance.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
More of a freak play then anything else on the Davis hit saw the replay and there was contact no doubt but the contact was more high chest then the head area and the momentum spin him into a bad angle. Or at least from the replay it showed that.

If he was in open ice and not along the boards likely would more knocked the wind out of him then anything.

Never I nice thing to see a player get hurt on any team but odd plays happen and players get caught in odd positions Davis happened to be the unlucky player who was on the receiving end of bad circumstance.
It didn’t look aggressive or like there was malice, I’m surprised he got a 5 and a game. Davis kinda leaned down into em, he got his hands up and didn’t really drive him into the boards but kinda followed him until he went down. Agreed, freak play. Without the game misconduct on a player being stretchered off maybe the refs are worried about guys trying to police the game themselves. It looked like a hockey play that just kinda went weird.

Stick was up by the back of the neck, hopefully Davis is alright, maybe a rib injury? Watched from home and it didn’t look like he was holding or grabbing at anything specific.

Tough break too, just got back from an injury. Feel bad for the kid.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts...

First, goals against...

1. Drop pass to the point, skates in a bit and beats Froggett blocker side. At the time, I thought Froggett just missed it but was he screened?
2. Hookey uses a third forward as bait for the D, does a bit of a toe-drag, and snaps it blocker side on Froggett. I think Carter wants that one back but it was a good shot.
3. Protas loses the puck behind the net and, with Cristoforo expecting a breakout pass, it becomes a 2-on-1, and then a 1-on-Froggett. Mathurin losing his stick, then Protas losing the puck contributed to that.
4. Simple play - puck from the boards to out front. Hicks can't handle his guy, who tips it high on Froggett.
5. PP for OS. Spitfires let two guys behind the D and one bangs it home.

The good:

- Nesbitt hat-trick. He's turning into a real beauty and showing why he was a first round pick last year. They weren't cheap goals, either.
- Belchetz's between-the-legs pass for Nesbitt's second. I mean........
- Outshooting the Attack 28-13 through 40 is impressive, I don't care which team it is.
- Five players with multi-point games and Morneau is becoming a legit point-per-game player.
- Another game with 11 players registering a point.
- This team stands up for each other. Every time something happened, you had two or three teammates right there to help.
- Froggett's first OHL win. It wasn't pretty but, going off the replays, it wasn't all on him by any stretch.
- Mathurin with a +6!! Cristoforo with a +4!! They're doing something right, whether people want them to or not.

The bad:

- Five goals on 20 shots can't be accepted. They know they got away from their game.
- The old "need a 60 minute effort" cliche came out tonight. The team knows they didn't do their best and that's the first step.
- No goals on the PP but... they looked okay at times. Not sure where to put this one.

Walton with a dandy tilt (poor Mikus) and Gaymes with one, too. BTW, last I looked, Gaymes was at two fights so far. Someone mentioned tonight it was three... Sarnia and now tonight are his two tilts. Walton is also at two.

As I said before, the last I've heard on Davis is that it's not a head injury but upper body and the team doesn't know much beyond that. We'll see what happens this weekend. The repay I saw (briefly) looked like Davis got a stick in the back of the neck as he was going down. A misplaced cross-check, if you will. I want to see the replay again, though, because my view was brief. Regardless, I hope he's okay. You never, ever want to see team doctors and a stretcher come out.

Buckle up for Taylor Swift night on Saturday!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad