Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

spits

Jul 24, 2013
I feel like this has 21-22 potential again. Planning the run for next year, but over performing for a conservative buying year. The only thing is… you wonder if Bowler regrets not going all in on that first go round. Imagine if we snagged Xhekaj… I don’t question we would’ve won the OHL.

I really like Protas, but with that AHL eligibility, in my mind, I already have him gone next year.

Does Bowler follow the same pattern, or does he regret not pushing that year and goes for the push now if we’re right there in contention?

I think his decisions this year will show whether he regrets not going for it a year earlier…

Either way, I’m here for the ride. This is going to be fun!
This is not the year to go all in, I think next year is. If I were Bowler I would look to add an '06 defenseman that is back next year. It won't be cheap but they have a lot of 2nds and 4ths stocked in the draft cupboard. Maybe trade a forward along with picks for a d-man.

Also, I thought Protas wasn't eligible for the AHL yet next season since he was taken after the NHL draft? Protas is an '06.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
This is not the year to go all in, I think next year is. If I were Bowler I would look to add an '06 defenseman that is back next year. It won't be cheap but they have a lot of 2nds and 4ths stocked in the draft cupboard. Maybe trade a forward along with picks for a d-man.

Also, I thought Protas wasn't eligible for the AHL yet next season since rhe was taken after the NHL draft? Protas is an '06.
He was drafted from a European team, which means that he was AHL Eligible immediately.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
2 minor tweaks that I would like to see:

1. Send Hicks to Jr. B so he can have steady ice time.

2. Acquire another depth forward.

This would give them 14F and 7D. They appear that they will be short 2 F for almost a month. when Davis and Outwater get back, Belchez and Lemieux will be leaving.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
While Windsor has only played 3 of their 8 games this season at home they are currently sitting 3rd best in the league in attendance averaging 5129 per game which is 519 more per game then they averaged all of last year at 4610.
London is 1st and Kitchener is 2nd.
Last year those 2 plus Oshawa and Guelph had more patrons to their games.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Still away on a euro vaca. I like everything im hearing so far! Lets be very cautious, its early. Need to see how things go after some bumps, injuries…. I dont think its right to go this year, but yes the team itself will dictate. Glad the coaching is working out so far. Still think a D man with 2 years is a smart move. Again been away since the season started, ill keep tabs as i can. Thanks for all the notes!

Reactions: OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with another win
Sluggish start.
Didn't really get going till near end of 2nd. And had a great 3rd period.
When they create open space for tge players and use their speed they score often.
Greentree great game.
Lots of shots
No power plays for Oshawa.
Defense played soft.

Reactions: Cherrydon

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Windsor with another win
Sluggish start.
Didn't really get going till near end of 2nd. And had a great 3rd period.
When they create open space for tge players and use their speed they score often.
Greentree great game.
Lots of shots
No power plays for Oshawa.
Defense played soft.
They allowed 17 shots against, and 3 or 4 of those were when Oshawa pulled the Goalie. I realize the 1st goal was because the D didn't cover well, but they gave up only 17 shots.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
16 pts in 7 games isn’t really going?

It's tough to explain; he's not as dominant with the puck as we saw last season. He's had great vision and has really developed his playmaking skills, but his goal scoring hasn't been as dynamic as we saw last season. With just 3g on 25 shots, including an EN tally, someone said at the rink on Monday that he's slowly realizing he doesn't have to do this all on his own now. Once he adjusts to that, he's going to be fine... just takes time.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It's tough to explain; he's not as dominant with the puck as we saw last season. He's had great vision and has really developed his playmaking skills, but his goal scoring hasn't been as dynamic as we saw last season. With just 3g on 25 shots, including an EN tally, someone said at the rink on Monday that he's slowly realizing he doesn't have to do this all on his own now. Once he adjusts to that, he's going to be fine... just takes time.
He had a shooting % of 16.2% last year. If he scores on his next shot attempt he's at 15.2% for the year. Not a big change really.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I agree, what seems slightly off is he is skating in and firing the puck from a distance just inside the blue line. Not surprising the goalies so far. But I am far from complaining lol.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I agree, what seems slightly off is he is skating in and firing the puck from a distance just inside the blue line. Not surprising the goalies so far. But I am far from complaining lol.
While I would like to see Greentree with more goals at this time I definitely can't knock 16 points in 7 games,and interestingly despite Windsor currently #1 in the league on the PP,he only has 3 PP points and they are all assists.
In fact he is tied with Martone for the league league in points with 16 but Greentree leads the league in even strength points with 13.
A couple of interesting stats Christoforo who leads the league in +- with a +15 but of his 10 points in 8 games played only 2 are at even strength.
And Ryan Abraham who sits 7th in team scoring for points with 5G3A in his 7 games played ,only 3 points are at even strength tying him with Ethan Garden for 11th among forwards with even strength points,only Ethan Martin with 2 has less.
I get the feeling if Abraham continues to play with Greentree and Protas moving forward his even strength numbers should rise,afterall he did have great chemistry with Greentree the 2nd half of last year and Protas should make things even better.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Don't disagree I would play Abraham with Belchetz and Spellacy, Protas with Greentree and Nesbitt, Morneau with Gaymes and Davis,Lemieux with Martin and Outwater, though it's neccessary to get Outwater and Davis healthy plus we have Garden as well,13 competent forwards imo.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Entirely possible Abrham is being put in the best position to attract buyers at the deadline.
Could be very good idea to help build up the coffers for next year without affecting this year's team too much if the other 3 Cs gain exoeerience, develop and can each move up a spot they should remain competitive. Guess it would depend on a potential return come Dec/Jan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad