Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I haven't seen this team take a new identity yet with Walter's coaching. Still same style of game as last year. Yes, we will outscore the opposition most nights until teams tighten up or we hit a hot goalie. Discipline still an issue for the usual suspects. Sure we have 3 of 4 possible points to start on the road looks excellent on the surface. Is Walter's demanding a defensive style? If he is they have not got the memo. Without Mathurin last night, this D will make any goalie on this team look bad. Nothing new, but I believe if Walter's starts holding players on the bench or a night off to think about it, maybe they will take their position seriously.
This stuff will take time. Mathurin can help he can't do it by himself though. He came from a team that prided themselves on good D and leaned into good goaltending. They haven't done that in Windsor recently. What will be interesting is putting a total game together. They weren't good in the 3rd against Saginaw. They weren't good in the 2nd and 3rd against Sarnia. Can they play a solid 3rd game in 4 nights? 3 points is good but their margin for error right now is small.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
What happened with Greenwell? Feels weird to see him play 2/3rds of the season make it through the camp cuts then head off without any return. Not that he’s our future, but I thought he offered a better option than Stewart, both 05’s.
Not a huge loss as highly doubt either would’ve had a career in Windsor beyond this season, and we are a bit stuck on forward numbers when Protas and Spellacy return.
Thought we may have been able to snag a 5th-8th for him, with someone looking for a little depth up front.

Any word on the Mathurin injury? Didn’t notice anything weird in Saginaw. I immediately go to an “oh no, our newly acquired OA D man has injury issues”. Reminiscent of the Toure situation. Hopefully it’s not serious.

Personally, I’d run Abraham/Greentree/Davis. Lots of speed, and a mix of size. I like Belchetz and Nesbitt together, but I feel with Greentree, it’s often one of them will kinda disappear each shift.

We’ll have a few weeks waiting for Spellacy & Protas and then letting things settle. I’m not sure how stuck in lines Walters gets, or if we’ll have a carousel based on who’s doing what

Reactions: ohloutsider

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The team is going to have hiccups. Nobody, myself included, expects them to go from brutal defensively to great in two regular season games. As long as they can continuously improve and show an overall improvement, I'm content. So far, they've done well, so let's keep that going.

Last look, about 6,000 tickets sold tonight (give or take). They moved the "patio party" indoors because of the rain but hopefully it's still an energetic crowd.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
What happened with Greenwell? Feels weird to see him play 2/3rds of the season make it through the camp cuts then head off without any return. Not that he’s our future, but I thought he offered a better option than Stewart, both 05’s.
Not a huge loss as highly doubt either would’ve had a career in Windsor beyond this season, and we are a bit stuck on forward numbers when Protas and Spellacy return.
Thought we may have been able to snag a 5th-8th for him, with someone looking for a little depth up front.

Any word on the Mathurin injury? Didn’t notice anything weird in Saginaw. I immediately go to an “oh no, our newly acquired OA D man has injury issues”. Reminiscent of the Toure situation. Hopefully it’s not serious.

Personally, I’d run Abraham/Greentree/Davis. Lots of speed, and a mix of size. I like Belchetz and Nesbitt together, but I feel with Greentree, it’s often one of them will kinda disappear each shift.

We’ll have a few weeks waiting for Spellacy & Protas and then letting things settle. I’m not sure how stuck in lines Walters gets, or if we’ll have a carousel based on who’s doing what
They would have tried to trade Greenwell before they released him on Waivers. Probably no interest or Greenwell requested to go there so they just released him.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
They would have tried to trade Greenwell before they released him on Waivers. Probably no interest or Greenwell requested to go there so they just released him.
The truth is there isn't a big market for 19yo 4th liner from a last place team. If he had been a 17 or 18yo, he would still be here. Hopefully, he can make his mark in the Q. If he puts up a solid year, He might have OA potential.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Gotta say I think some are forgetting just how bad u guys were defensively last yr lol. Sarnia was awful & we'd be getting scoring chances at will vs u guys. Constant odd man rushes. Constant defensive breakdowns.

In the two pre season games + last night there wasn't nearly as many breakdowns, odd man rushes etc for Sarnia & that was without Mathurin.

You've definitely upped your structure & your Fs are playing better defensively. I think more of the issue is your defence might just not be that good.. Eichler seems to be a bit rogue defensively. Woodall has limitations. Christoforo does too. Walton can be beat by speedy guys.

U guys have a solid team this year I think though. U guys pass it around offensively very well. We couldn't get it off Greentree. Can only imagine how difficult it'll be if he's with Protas. Spellacy always been a favorite of mine & seems he's figured it out.

Also, I do believe Walters benched Abraham for the 2nd period. I saw him put his arm around him on the bench & talk to him a bit. Guessing it was a your to good to be spending this much time in the box type talk.

Best of luck!

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The team is going to have hiccups. Nobody, myself included, expects them to go from brutal defensively to great in two regular season games. As long as they can continuously improve and show an overall improvement, I'm content. So far, they've done well, so let's keep that going.

Last look, about 6,000 tickets sold tonight (give or take). They moved the "patio party" indoors because of the rain but hopefully it's still an energetic crowd.
What did u expect then?

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Flu Bug going thru the Rangers line up. Might give us some kind of advantage tonight. Hope to see the team build on each game and wash away last few seasons bad habits, wont happen over night but i expect Walters to drive home two way play and defense team first mentality.

Hope to see a good game tonight and physical. Costanzo is in a prove it stage, if he doesnt play consistent and reliable than its time to move on. He can't be the reason were losing games and he has to steal the odd game. Froggett and Windbiel are nice new options that need experience.

Go spits Go.

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
OK, its early and I haven't seen anything live yet but.......
I've been a spitfire fan since @1990 and this may develop into my favourite spitfire team yet. Not speaking about this year exclusively but rather the 3 yr cycle. I am fully expecting ups and downs this year but if the sum of these parts come together over time we may have something special here!

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
OK, its early and I haven't seen anything live yet but.......
I've been a spitfire fan since @1990 and this may develop into my favourite spitfire team yet. Not speaking about this year exclusively but rather the 3 yr cycle. I am fully expecting ups and downs this year but if the sum of these parts come together over time we may have something special here!
08 group looks REALLY special

Belchetz, Garden, Lemieux all appear as they will turn out to be stars. Hicks not sure but he’s been putting up some points (pre season and reg season so far) which is obviously impressive as a rookie d

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
As an outsider this game is very entertaining lol

Unfortunately I missed the belchetz fight and the stupid ohl live won’t let me rewind
You didn’t miss much on that one. Ando started it but not much more than a wrestle then fall.

Going to be a long year in Rangerland. With Andonovski, the only veteran D on the team, slated to be traded, our goaltending is being left hung out to dry by what is the youngest D in the league.

• Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
You didn’t miss much on that one. Ando started it but not much more than a wrestle then fall.

Going to be a long year in Rangerland. With Andonovski, the only veteran D on the team, slated to be traded, our goaltending is being left hung out to dry by what is the youngest D in the league.
I assume they probably keep parsons because of it? And schaubel is the starter next year?

Better gear up for next year cause there's no way Belchetz is back after he gets drafted. Wowza.
100% and Greentree is iffy too. Not sure he will even be back as a 19 year old! For the spits sake hopefully! Going to one hell of a team next year as long as they get goaltending and defence figured out

• Haha
Reactions: Otto

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Wasn't some saying Lemieux should be sent down lol
I don't mind his game.
As long as he controls it.
Doesn't need a rep already

I really hope the team picked this goal song cause if not the person who did should be demoted. Not sure i’m going to enjoy hearing “oops i did it again” all year.
Terrible song thru speakers that r too loud.

Reactions: Cherrydon

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
This reminds me of going to Spits training camp in 1993 and seeing Ed Jovanovski for the first time. I saw him shoot the puck like a cannon, skate backwards faster than anybody could skate forward, physically dominate everyone in his sphere of influence and then beat the living crap out of the other team's toughest player just for fun. I said to my dad that we were looking at the number one NHL pick one day, and that's what he was.

When I see Belchetz its pretty much the same phenomenon all over again. He's got a set of tools that are NHL calibre already that make him the prototype hockey player. If you were building a player to play Windsor Spitfire hockey in an EA hockey game he would look like what we saw on the ice from number 61 tonight. It was Eric Lindros like, and that kid McKenna better get ready for the fight of his life to go number one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad