Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I haven't seen this team take a new identity yet with Walter's coaching. Still same style of game as last year. Yes, we will outscore the opposition most nights until teams tighten up or we hit a hot goalie. Discipline still an issue for the usual suspects. Sure we have 3 of 4 possible points to start on the road looks excellent on the surface. Is Walter's demanding a defensive style? If he is they have not got the memo. Without Mathurin last night, this D will make any goalie on this team look bad. Nothing new, but I believe if Walter's starts holding players on the bench or a night off to think about it, maybe they will take their position seriously.
This stuff will take time. Mathurin can help he can't do it by himself though. He came from a team that prided themselves on good D and leaned into good goaltending. They haven't done that in Windsor recently. What will be interesting is putting a total game together. They weren't good in the 3rd against Saginaw. They weren't good in the 2nd and 3rd against Sarnia. Can they play a solid 3rd game in 4 nights? 3 points is good but their margin for error right now is small.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
What happened with Greenwell? Feels weird to see him play 2/3rds of the season make it through the camp cuts then head off without any return. Not that he’s our future, but I thought he offered a better option than Stewart, both 05’s.
Not a huge loss as highly doubt either would’ve had a career in Windsor beyond this season, and we are a bit stuck on forward numbers when Protas and Spellacy return.
Thought we may have been able to snag a 5th-8th for him, with someone looking for a little depth up front.

Any word on the Mathurin injury? Didn’t notice anything weird in Saginaw. I immediately go to an “oh no, our newly acquired OA D man has injury issues”. Reminiscent of the Toure situation. Hopefully it’s not serious.

Personally, I’d run Abraham/Greentree/Davis. Lots of speed, and a mix of size. I like Belchetz and Nesbitt together, but I feel with Greentree, it’s often one of them will kinda disappear each shift.

We’ll have a few weeks waiting for Spellacy & Protas and then letting things settle. I’m not sure how stuck in lines Walters gets, or if we’ll have a carousel based on who’s doing what

Reactions: ohloutsider

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The team is going to have hiccups. Nobody, myself included, expects them to go from brutal defensively to great in two regular season games. As long as they can continuously improve and show an overall improvement, I'm content. So far, they've done well, so let's keep that going.

Last look, about 6,000 tickets sold tonight (give or take). They moved the "patio party" indoors because of the rain but hopefully it's still an energetic crowd.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
What happened with Greenwell? Feels weird to see him play 2/3rds of the season make it through the camp cuts then head off without any return. Not that he’s our future, but I thought he offered a better option than Stewart, both 05’s.
Not a huge loss as highly doubt either would’ve had a career in Windsor beyond this season, and we are a bit stuck on forward numbers when Protas and Spellacy return.
Thought we may have been able to snag a 5th-8th for him, with someone looking for a little depth up front.

Any word on the Mathurin injury? Didn’t notice anything weird in Saginaw. I immediately go to an “oh no, our newly acquired OA D man has injury issues”. Reminiscent of the Toure situation. Hopefully it’s not serious.

Personally, I’d run Abraham/Greentree/Davis. Lots of speed, and a mix of size. I like Belchetz and Nesbitt together, but I feel with Greentree, it’s often one of them will kinda disappear each shift.

We’ll have a few weeks waiting for Spellacy & Protas and then letting things settle. I’m not sure how stuck in lines Walters gets, or if we’ll have a carousel based on who’s doing what
They would have tried to trade Greenwell before they released him on Waivers. Probably no interest or Greenwell requested to go there so they just released him.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
They would have tried to trade Greenwell before they released him on Waivers. Probably no interest or Greenwell requested to go there so they just released him.
The truth is there isn't a big market for 19yo 4th liner from a last place team. If he had been a 17 or 18yo, he would still be here. Hopefully, he can make his mark in the Q. If he puts up a solid year, He might have OA potential.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Gotta say I think some are forgetting just how bad u guys were defensively last yr lol. Sarnia was awful & we'd be getting scoring chances at will vs u guys. Constant odd man rushes. Constant defensive breakdowns.

In the two pre season games + last night there wasn't nearly as many breakdowns, odd man rushes etc for Sarnia & that was without Mathurin.

You've definitely upped your structure & your Fs are playing better defensively. I think more of the issue is your defence might just not be that good.. Eichler seems to be a bit rogue defensively. Woodall has limitations. Christoforo does too. Walton can be beat by speedy guys.

U guys have a solid team this year I think though. U guys pass it around offensively very well. We couldn't get it off Greentree. Can only imagine how difficult it'll be if he's with Protas. Spellacy always been a favorite of mine & seems he's figured it out.

Also, I do believe Walters benched Abraham for the 2nd period. I saw him put his arm around him on the bench & talk to him a bit. Guessing it was a your to good to be spending this much time in the box type talk.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Cherrydon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad