Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
See Carter George....
or Bryant Clarke.

Greentree just didn’t play that great, it’s fine. 18 year olds are hard up to make this team

If he has a great start, he’s got a great chance to make the team, if not, he doesn’t. it’s up to greentree

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
or Bryant Clarke.

Greentree just didn’t play that great, it’s fine. 18 year olds are hard up to make this team

If he has a great start, he’s got a great chance to make the team, if not, he doesn’t. it’s up to greentree
The accolades are nice; but as a Spits fan first, hope he doesn’t make it lol.

Spellacy getting minimal time on the split squad US club, can’t imagine he cracks the actual US WJ roster either.

I don’t disagree those guys are expensive… but it might be worth it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
it’s a bummer we can’t play all our 16 year olds given the way this draft went. However, competition in camp is good, and it will put some pressure on the new guys early, to also perform so they get that A card (if they’re shy of 10 games they’re on a B still; no?)

And I do agree a veteran d man to add some protection would be nice. Big guy would be ideal in theory, but we have a big team. I guess that’s mostly up front though.

I’m not saying sell the farm, but I’d happily shell out more picks if we’re bringing in a D guy, to make it an 05 instead of an 04, with high OA potential. I’d much rather have a guy here for 2 years that can start to mesh and fit in now to give us a better gauge on if the 25-26 push is worth it.
Overall they need to increase the talent level. I don't think size should come into the equation. Colton Smith is a big player but didn't help much. Winegard is 6'6 and you can make the case on a good team he's not part of your top 6. Walton is 6'4 he struggled this past year. Outwater is 6'2 and didn't look comfortable. It's great to have size to impact a game but if you're big and not impactful then what are you?

Reactions: OHL 17 and windsor7

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Overall they need to increase the talent level. I don't think size should come into the equation. Colton Smith is a big player but didn't help much. Winegard is 6'6 and you can make the case on a good team he's not part of your top 6. Walton is 6'4 he struggled this past year. Outwater is 6'2 and didn't look comfortable. It's great to have size to impact a game but if you're big and not impactful then what are you?
Great post

Reactions: punch1943

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
I wonder if Bowler would eventually bring his twin here ? Depends on cost and takes two to make a deal but his age fits the timeline and another big body with potential.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Kieran is a good player but another forward. If he was cheap, yes but nhl drafted players normally not cheap. Need to bolster D and goaltending first. Need good enough D as to not expose young tenders and not spend too much for the band-aid until we see what this young team has in 2 seasons. Balance act.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Kieran is a good player but another forward. If he was cheap, yes but nhl drafted players normally not cheap. Need to bolster D and goaltending first. Need good enough D as to not expose young tenders and not spend too much for the band-aid until we see what this young team has in 2 seasons. Balance act.
I would agree to the extent there are larrger needs. Walton had a big uptick this year and being an NHL pick with 2 years left for sure isn't a risk they should take based on where they are at. With that being said keep in mind Bowler gave up 2 3rds and a 4th for Outwater (05). So yes Waltom would probably cost 4 picks minimum. You can always get a few picks back by moving others but I doubt that happens.

Reactions: Cherrydon

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I would agree to the extent there are larrger needs. Walton had a big uptick this year and being an NHL pick with 2 years left for sure isn't a risk they should take based on where they are at. With that being said keep in mind Bowler gave up 2 3rds and a 4th for Outwater (05). So yes Waltom would probably cost 4 picks minimum. You can always get a few picks back by moving others but I doubt that happens.
it would be 6 picks at least. hed be worth more then thibideau, and im not sure you want both twins in the same room tbh.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I like Kieron's size and potential but giving up multiple picks before you fix the D isn't the smart move. Now, if they found a way to get Kieron AND someone like McCoy or VanVliet, I'm listening.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
it would be 6 picks at least. hed be worth more then thibideau, and im not sure you want both twins in the same room tbh.
I would agree with that. Spits aren't in a position to deal those picks for players. For instance they need to see if there is development with someone like Nesbitt.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I would agree with that. Spits aren't in a position to deal those picks for players. For instance they need to see if there is development with someone like Nesbitt.
Their going to have to spend some picks to improve their D. At least 1-2nd and other picks to get a player that will help.
Unfortunately they put themselves in this spot but they can't let this team flounder on D again this year. It will hurt development all around if they can't at least play some form of a defensive game.
I'm guessing one of the OA D's from Sudbury would be a possibility.
It would be nice if they could bring in a couple solid D's but a second D might cost a player in return.
Time will tell, carry on.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Their going to have to spend some picks to improve their D. At least 1-2nd and other picks to get a player that will help.
Unfortunately they put themselves in this spot but they can't let this team flounder on D again this year. It will hurt development all around if they can't at least play some form of a defensive game.
I'm guessing one of the OA D's from Sudbury would be a possibility.
It would be nice if they could bring in a couple solid D's but a second D might cost a player in return.
Time will tell, carry on.
van vliet who i mentioned before would be perfect, but they would have to play him like hes a 1, and hes a 3/4. they dont have a 1 or 2, they dont really have a 3 either right now. on london, who was a quality team, cristoforo would have been a 5 last year and again this year. hes a 4 on a good quality team.

Cristoforo

Walton

6/7
Eichler
Manzo
Lavigne

not ohl calabre.
Hjelholt
Winegard

you probably coiuld get van vliet for lets say a 3/5, like hislop last year, but for an 05, its 5/6 picks. and who would that be, its not like there are alot of 05s out there that teams are just willing to move on from. would have been nice to get one in the import draft but i dont know how hard bowler works to get names on that

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
van vliet who i mentioned before would be perfect, but they would have to play him like hes a 1, and hes a 3/4. they dont have a 1 or 2, they dont really have a 3 either right now. on london, who was a quality team, cristoforo would have been a 5 last year and again this year. hes a 4 on a good quality team.

Cristoforo

Walton

6/7
Eichler
Manzo
Lavigne

not ohl calabre.
Hjelholt
Winegard

you probably coiuld get van vliet for lets say a 3/5, like hislop last year, but for an 05, its 5/6 picks. and who would that be, its not like there are alot of 05s out there that teams are just willing to move on from. would have been nice to get one in the import draft but i dont know how hard bowler works to get names on that
I would put Woodall as 2-3 if he's had a good summer.

Just speculation but would it make any sense to move Christforo and a pick for an 05 on a team that is rebuilding?
In the past I always considered him off the table so to speak but after his past year he might be a trade chip that leaps them ahead 1 year?
I know a couple of posters that might spit out their soup after the never trade Christforo stance I had last year, lol.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just speculation but would it make any sense to move Christforo and a pick for an 05 on a team that is rebuilding?
In the past I always considered him off the table so to speak but after his past year he might be a trade chip that leaps them ahead 1 year?

I'm kind of in the "if you can trade Cristo for the right price, do it" boat for a bit now. A chance of scenery could do him wonders and, if the team gets quality back, why not?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

I know a couple of posters that might spit out their soup after the never trade Christforo stance I had last year, lol.
i did miss woodall, i struggle with him because of the size and style, hes alot like christoforo in that way. not sure how many you can have of him, but maybe you can put him in as a 4? even him and walton would be a fine bottom pair, its just that they cant have that duo as a 3/4, its not fair to the kids or the team, theyll get eat alive.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I'm kind of in the "if you can trade Cristo for the right price, do it" boat for a bit now. A chance of scenery could do him wonders and, if the team gets quality back, why not?
If kingston misses out on mews(rumour) I wonder if they try and go for another puck moving d in christoforo. Right handed and could play top 2 on kingston and one of the powerplay units. Then all Kingston would have to after making that trade is get a top pairing OA RHD probably later in the year (bumping Anthony down to the second d pair) and defence would probably be set. They have some good picks they can use here, and by the sounds of it they’ll still be trading frasca and he should be another 2 seconds and 3 thirds per ohl4life

Not 100% sure Windsor would have him on the block or be listening to offers as it seems over the next 2 years you guys could be a real good team- and Christo has the offence down.. just needs to work on the defence over the next couple of years and he will be a solid 19 year old in belchetz’s draft year, and potentially the 19 year old Liam greentree(but I think he makes nhl after this year, however I’m wrong from time to time lol)

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If someone comes to Bowler with an offer he can't refuse, I can see Cristo being moved. Maybe not tomorrow but at some point in the season after they see if he's improved or not.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If someone comes to Bowler with an offer he can't refuse, I can see Cristo being moved. Maybe not tomorrow but at some point in the season after they see if he's improved or not.
If Bowler even listening to that call.
Iff's n butt's...

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If kingston misses out on mews(rumour) I wonder if they try and go for another puck moving d in christoforo. Right handed and could play top 2 on kingston and one of the powerplay units. Then all Kingston would have to after making that trade is get a top pairing OA RHD probably later in the year (bumping Anthony down to the second d pair) and defence would probably be set. They have some good picks they can use here, and by the sounds of it they’ll still be trading frasca and he should be another 2 seconds and 3 thirds per ohl4life

Not 100% sure Windsor would have him on the block or be listening to offers as it seems over the next 2 years you guys could be a real good team- and Christo has the offence down.. just needs to work on the defence over the next couple of years and he will be a solid 19 year old in belchetz’s draft year, and potentially the 19 year old Liam greentree(but I think he makes nhl after this year, however I’m wrong from time to time lol)
hes not a top pairing guy. now if you put him with burns and you find a right shot oa to play with the improt that is suppose to be coming, maybe that works, but he cant play hard defensive minutes. hes lost. youd need to give him a ton of offensive zone starts and when he is in his own zone, have someone with him that can counter act his game.

Reactions: frontsfan67

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I think that's extremely risky overall. If we are being honest guys like Winegard and Hjeholt aren't players who are capable of playing 68 games in a year at the OHL level. Eichler wasn't good last year but is being brought back. Lavigne/Manzo are 07s but the learning curve for them is large. Woodall is fine, Walton needs to be better. You need to have a plan for 25-26 it's a lot easier if you work with Cristoforo rather than moving on.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think that's extremely risky overall. If we are being honest guys like Winegard and Hjeholt aren't players who are capable of playing 68 games in a year at the OHL level. Eichler wasn't good last year but is being brought back. Lavigne/Manzo are 07s but the learning curve for them is large. Woodall is fine, Walton needs to be better. You need to have a plan for 25-26 it's a lot easier if you work with Cristoforo rather than moving on.
The elephant in the room is the coaching . Not sure who or how much any of them will improve under this leadership group? Might as well trade for a D that already has the skillset and for example trading Christforo might be better for him to go to a team that can develop his game. I'm not really comfortable with status quo this year. Something has to give. Carry on.

Reactions: OHL 17 and Teflon

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
hes not a top pairing guy. now if you put him with burns and you find a right shot oa to play with the improt that is suppose to be coming, maybe that works, but he cant play hard defensive minutes. hes lost. youd need to give him a ton of offensive zone starts and when he is in his own zone, have someone with him that can counter act his game.
Yes that’s what I believe I said in the post. Would be first pair to start, and then when they get that right shot oa d man at some point this year- that guy goes first line and christo second

Pieniniemi is apparently a defensive d man that’s on the left side, as is burns so they just need help on that right side(assuming that Guindon trade is legit- I think it is but I don’t try to believe stuff until it actually happens on the website)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad