Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Spits have done a poor job managing and developing goaltenders. Never was a problem with Plymouth or Flint when Stan was around… I’m hoping we turn a corner

(Yeah, sure DiPietro was an outlier. Leave it to the Canucks to mess up his development lol)
Plymouth also did a great job of giving Stan plenty to work with. People forget Costanzo was showing signs of inconsistency the last 6 weeks of 2023. He never found his game last year. He needs a real good backup to compliment him. They also need 2-3 new D not sure how feasible it is to address all of that.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
True. Maybe they could trade for a more physical D and let Woodall and Manzo handle the offense ftom the back end. A high end import D was what was really needed.
Konnor smith is a perfect fit, but will they give up 3 high pics to do it?

Reactions: Teflon

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I would rather give up three high picks for a guy like Smith than a late round pick for Toms 2.0. The question is - does Konnor want to come to a rebuild or would he rather play for a contender?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I would rather give up three high picks for a guy like Smith than a late round pick for Toms 2.0. The question is - does Konnor want to come to a rebuild or would he rather play for a contender?
Another year.
Another rebuild

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
bigger issue is would he play for the coach that was a gong show in owen sound, he wasnt there for it but im sure he heard everything. im sure hed be happy to come home but thats a bigger issue imo

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I did not pay a lot of attention to Kingston last year. I think I seen them live once and maybe watched 3-4 games on tv. Do you think Frasca is worth that?
look at the history of guys like that getting traded, even guys that i dont love, they always go for 5/6 picks. lavoie went for 5 picks and i tihnk frasca is alot better.

HockeyGuy1

Jul 25, 2024
Agreed 100% they need floor raisers. Guys that are gone

Struthers
Zhugin
Toms
Toure

Guys that should be gone
Smith
Winegard
Greenwell
Martin

Conceivably they will need to add 5 forwards Belchetz, Protas, Lemieux(Newbury wins out), Garden, Outwater

I don't necessarily think that's the road to being better just by adding 3 16 year olds and an import. I know Bowler already said Morneau will return but I still think you can find better. He works hard sometimes but the ceiling isn't high. Bowler is extremely loyal to guys though even if they're not impactful players.

They will need to really address D. I don't think bringing in an OA, Manzo to add with Cristoforo, Woodall, Walton is the path to getting better either.
There are 6 players with a 2008 DOB signed. 4 fwds and 1D and 1G. How many can be kept and how many can dress each game? Also how many should be in the lineup each night. Rebuild is good but there is a fine line between gaining experience and ruining players by putting them in over their heads

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
There are 6 players with a 2008 DOB signed. 4 fwds and 1D and 1G. How many can be kept and how many can dress each game? Also how many should be in the lineup each night. Rebuild is good but there is a fine line between gaining experience and ruining players by putting them in over their heads
hocks should go to jr b. Belchez, Lemieux and garden are ready.

Reactions: frontsfan67

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Something will need to be done with all the signed young guys. Can't play them all.
According to league rules,teams are allowed to roster 4- 16 year old players but can only dress 3 of them in any 1 game,1st and 2nd rd picks plus 2 players from other rounds are players allowed.
As well 16 year old goalies have to play 10 games.
I expect as of now that Brocklehurst a forward will play in LA Salle,he doesn't turn 16 till Dec 30 actually, and 1 more of the 5 -16 year old picks either plays JR B ,say dman Carter Hicks or 1 of the 2 American selections goalie Jake Windbiel or foward Ethan Garden playing in the US,where they are from most of year,neither can play in Jr B.
Time will on this,will be an interesting and competitive camp imo.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Sure will be an interesting camp! BB still needs to address this D! Id love an OA guy and another big body back there to fill it out. I think 1 is needed asap, preferably the big OA guy. I know my preference but the cost will decide it i guess.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
There are rumours about one from the Eastern Conference coming to Windsor. Unfortunately I can’t divulge who as the source is inside. Not sure if the deal is done though.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I know the talk earlier was about Konnor and whether he'd come to Windsor. I can't say much but my understanding is he would be dealt to another team, one in the East.

As for Eastern Conf. D OAs...

Miss - Leskovar
NB - Nelson, Mathurin
Nia - Vannetten
Osh - D'Amato
Ott - Sirman, Smyth, Mayich
Sby - Pryce, Collins, Van Vliet, D'Angelis, McCoy, Chitaroni

If I missed anyone, add them.

I'd imagine D'A and Nelson aren't happening. A few of those have only played in minimal games so they would be out, too. My guess - Leskovar, Smyth, Mayich, VanVliet, or maybe McCoy.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I know the talk earlier was about Konnor and whether he'd come to Windsor. I can't say much but my understanding is he would be dealt to another team, one in the East.

As for Eastern Conf. D OAs...

Miss - Leskovar
NB - Nelson, Mathurin
Nia - Vannetten
Osh - D'Amato
Ott - Sirman, Smyth, Mayich
Sby - Pryce, Collins, Van Vliet, D'Angelis, McCoy, Chitaroni

If I missed anyone, add them.

I'd imagine D'A and Nelson aren't happening. A few of those have only played in minimal games so they would be out, too. My guess - Leskovar, Smyth, Mayich, VanVliet, or maybe McCoy.
Nelson is definitely moving into the AHL so you can scratch that too.

Don’t think Oshawa would trade d’Amato but if they did they’d want to see how their import d performs first.

If Sudbury ends up trading d’angelis I don’t think it’s before the deadline. Will be one of the best OA’s available if made available. They could potentially get an 08 out of him

Rest of guys are probably available.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sure will be an interesting camp! BB still needs to address this D! Id love an OA guy and another big body back there to fill it out. I think 1 is needed asap, preferably the big OA guy. I know my preference but the cost will decide it i guess.
Solid post especially the OA part on D,another one a dman an 05 would be nice too,Bowler did mention prior or just after trade embargo that moves would be made.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I'm surprised he wasn't at least given an invite. I get that 06s are in tough to make the main roster in December but a SS camp invite in his junior town? That would have made sense and drawn a lot of people.
Team Canada and LA Kings prospects have a broken relationship…see Spence

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
it’s a bummer we can’t play all our 16 year olds given the way this draft went. However, competition in camp is good, and it will put some pressure on the new guys early, to also perform so they get that A card (if they’re shy of 10 games they’re on a B still; no?)

And I do agree a veteran d man to add some protection would be nice. Big guy would be ideal in theory, but we have a big team. I guess that’s mostly up front though.

I’m not saying sell the farm, but I’d happily shell out more picks if we’re bringing in a D guy, to make it an 05 instead of an 04, with high OA potential. I’d much rather have a guy here for 2 years that can start to mesh and fit in now to give us a better gauge on if the 25-26 push is worth it.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
it’s a bummer we can’t play all our 16 year olds given the way this draft went. However, competition in camp is good, and it will put some pressure on the new guys early, to also perform so they get that A card (if they’re shy of 10 games they’re on a B still; no?)

And I do agree a veteran d man to add some protection would be nice. Big guy would be ideal in theory, but we have a big team. I guess that’s mostly up front though.

I’m not saying sell the farm, but I’d happily shell out more picks if we’re bringing in a D guy, to make it an 05 instead of an 04, with high OA potential. I’d much rather have a guy here for 2 years that can start to mesh and fit in now to give us a better gauge on if the 25-26 push is worth it.
those guys are so rare and expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad