Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Travis Bickle 77

Feb 11, 2020
Looking forward to training camp!! My fear is that because the Spits have the strong potential to be an offensive force.....that defense does not become secondary!! similar to what Savard implemented while he was here. Looking forward to seeing the goalies also!!

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's a bit tedious, and can be nasty in February

I've been there twice; once in great weather and the other in pretty typical "pray for mojo" march weather. Once you get there, it's a nice little place. It's just that Orangeville to OS stretch that you need a little Jelly Roll on the radio lol

Reactions: Roadhog

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I've been there twice; once in great weather and the other in pretty typical "pray for mojo" march weather. Once you get there, it's a nice little place. It's just that Orangeville to OS stretch that you need a little Jelly Roll on the radio lol
I don’t mess with OS from December to March but from Flint even the drive to OS is good. Like 3 1/2-4 hours running up the coast with a couple great stops on the way. Then you get there and so far, it’s my favorite road game in the O. Love the town and the arena. Probably my second favorite road arena next to WFCU at this point.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don’t mess with OS from December to March but from Flint even the drive to OS is good. Like 3 1/2-4 hours running up the coast with a couple great stops on the way. Then you get there and so far, it’s my favorite road game in the O. Love the town and the arena. Probably my second favorite road arena next to WFCU at this point.

That's like us with Erie. Cross into Detroit, head down to Toledo, then right along the lake to Erie. Great little town with beauty eateries and pubs, everything within walking distance downtown, and some close friends live nearby. It's a fantastic weekend trip. I did that in January, somehow avoiding that ugly nor'easter.

Reactions: Section 103

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
That's like us with Erie. Cross into Detroit, head down to Toledo, then right along the lake to Erie. Great little town with beauty eateries and pubs, everything within walking distance downtown, and some close friends live nearby. It's a fantastic weekend trip. I did that in January, somehow avoiding that ugly nor'easter.
Erie? Really? Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I remember a fan bus trip for a pair of weekend games in Erie and most of the Windsor fans were kicked out of the arena and waiting at the fan bus when the game ended on the 2nd night because the arena staff were all crooked. The only thing open downtown besides a pizza hut filled with homeless mental patients wearing tinfoil hats was an adult video store that had those booths in the back where you could watch a movie if you put some quarters in. Maybe it's not such a depressing post apocalyptic wasteland populated by morlocks now, but I won't bother going back to see. Scenic drive though I don't remember much of it because two girls got drunk and had a hair pulling fight that landed on top of me and sort of distracted from what was happening outside the bus. Those fan bus trips back in the day were something else.

cruickshankd

Jun 3, 2024
Erie? Really? Different strokes for different folks I guess, but I remember a fan bus trip for a pair of weekend games in Erie and most of the Windsor fans were kicked out of the arena and waiting at the fan bus when the game ended on the 2nd night because the arena staff were all crooked. The only thing open downtown besides a pizza hut filled with homeless mental patients wearing tinfoil hats was an adult video store that had those booths in the back where you could watch a movie if you put some quarters in. Maybe it's not such a depressing post apocalyptic wasteland populated by morlocks now, but I won't bother going back to see. Scenic drive though I don't remember much of it because two girls got drunk and had a hair pulling fight that landed on top of me and sort of distracted from what was happening outside the bus. Those fan bus trips back in the day were something else.
Owen Sound takes a fan bus to Erie every year (we do a home and home dble header every year). We have ALWAYS been treated with the utmost respect by the fans and arena staff...it is our most popular trip....look forward to the trip this year again

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Bunch of the boys past/present are here skating. Good to see long lasting friendships from even guys that didnt play much together. Still damn quiet from head office tho. Had some good chats, such a difference from player to player based on the teams they are on.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Spellacy has been invited to play for Team USA during the World Juniors Summer Showcase at the end of July.
That’ll be good for him. Very raw guy- a camp with all those great players will do nothing but good things for him.

Won’t make the team but maybe will next year. Wonder if spellacy breaks out this year now that he will have an nhl rookie camp, and a world junior summer camp under his belt.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I expect Spellacy to be a force this year. Big, fast and can play with grit. I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.

You've got some players. Lookibg forward to an improved Spitfire team.

Only thing, as Windsor7 would say, need defense.
I've always been super impressed by spellacy. Size, elite speed & physical. What's not to like lol. Would say with guys like him u do see it take till they are 19 for everything to click.

The last part if I had to guess Windsor this season is gonna be one of those 250-275GF/250-275GA teams lmao. They are gonna score a ton. They are also gonna be scored on a ton. Gonna be one helluva entertaining team.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The last part if I had to guess Windsor this season is gonna be one of those 250-275GF/250-275GA teams lmao. They are gonna score a ton. They are also gonna be scored on a ton. Gonna be one helluva entertaining team.

They're going to be younger and hungry to show last season was a one-of. I'm enjoying my Summer but camp is going to be so much fun.

Reactions: Section 103

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
The more next season comes in to focus, the more pissed I get at the import selection. I hope all would agree that we needed a top end D in that draft. Ending up with a 3rd rd NHL pick, and a F when picking 3rd overall in the import draft is a big fail IMO. For example, Adam Jiricek was on the board when Windsor picked, a 6’3” R shot D, 1st rd selection by St Louis and the Spits pass. Sure they may not have had a connection to the agent but take the shot when it’s there. It appears Adam will play in Brantford FFS.

🤯

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Its what happens when your GM doesnt have a good relationship with agents and nhl GM’s. Was there better available? Yes!! Would they report here? Iffy. Player we got isn’t terrible… but yes better available and from a position of need too. It can still be rectified, go get a solid big OA D man and likely another D man who needs a scenery change. Its not the players fault so lets not get on him.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
The more next season comes in to focus, the more pissed I get at the import selection. I hope all would agree that we needed a top end D in that draft. Ending up with a 3rd rd NHL pick, and a F when picking 3rd overall in the import draft is a big fail IMO. For example, Adam Jiricek was on the board when Windsor picked, a 6’3” R shot D, 1st rd selection by St Louis and the Spits pass. Sure they may not have had a connection to the agent but take the shot when it’s there. It appears Adam will play in Brantford FFS.

🤯

Jiricek was taken in 2023 so they wouldn't have been able to get him this season. I agree with wanting a D but I think it was a fairly weak year for D in the import draft. Just one D in the top 10 with Radivojevic. Would have liked Gridin and sounds like they had an agreement before Val D'Or took him, but being a 1st round NHL pick there's a high chance he would have been a one-and-done to the AHL. Likely we get 2 seasons out of Protas, and his brother had a good run in the CHL. Might be best case scenario getting a mid-round NHL drafted pick, unless they went for an '07.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

🤯
I can see that sentiment. I still believe this was always going to be the path. They had more holes than a slice of Swiss cheese. Easier to fix issues up front than on D. I would have been more confident if Bowler had decided to move on from Eichler and took a high end 07 like other organizations did in round 2. Keeping Eichler was the easy thing to do and Bowler did it. When the team improves and Eichler isn't an OA he will just pick another import. When Protas has a solid year Bowler he will be hailed by fans as a chl import draft merchant.

Reactions: rve24 and KyGuy9

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I can see that sentiment. I still believe this was always going to be the path. They had more holes than a slice of Swiss cheese. Easier to fix issues up front than on D. I would have been more confident if Bowler had decided to move on from Eichler and took a high end 07 like other organizations did in round 2. Keeping Eichler was the easy thing to do and Bowler did it. When the team improves and Eichler isn't an OA he will just pick another import. When Protas has a solid year Bowler he will be hailed by fans as a chl import draft merchant.
Only by a select few..

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Its what happens when your GM doesnt have a good relationship with agents and nhl GM’s. Was there better available? Yes!! Would they report here? Iffy. Player we got isn’t terrible… but yes better available and from a position of need too. It can still be rectified, go get a solid big OA D man and likely another D man who needs a scenery change. Its not the players fault so lets not get on him.
He will still have to make a few moves especially on D. Probably needs another top 6 forward as well. Needs to insulate this group in case Greentree makes WJs and misses 15 or so games.

Reactions: OHL 17

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
He will still have to make a few moves especially on D. Probably needs another top 6 forward as well. Needs to insulate this group in case Greentree makes WJs and misses 15 or so games.
Greentree is not making the WJ's. I don't believe he was even invited to camp.

And yes he has to address the D issue. As they stand now they will be a 8-9 team. Maybe with some moves they can be a 5-7 team . A question mark at goaltending as well. They are set up to allow more goals then they can score.

IF and it is a big IF they can get better goaltending and better D play they will be a mid pack team who will likely challenge 25-26 . I just don't want to see them spend too many assets to get to a mid pack team.

And of course as others have mentioned, I'm concerned about how they will coach the D group. I'm not seeing anyone on the coaching staff that can settle this D group into a respectable group.

I sure hope I'm wrong!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm surprised he wasn't at least given an invite. I get that 06s are in tough to make the main roster in December but a SS camp invite in his junior town? That would have made sense and drawn a lot of people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad