Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm surprised he wasn't at least given an invite. I get that 06s are in tough to make the main roster in December but a SS camp invite in his junior town? That would have made sense and drawn a lot of people.
Hockey Canada wouldn't care

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I'm surprised he wasn't at least given an invite. I get that 06s are in tough to make the main roster in December but a SS camp invite in his junior town? That would have made sense and drawn a lot of people.

Not sure, but was skating an issue? And as posted home team city camp should mean 0. They don't need Spits fans to draw, or are even looking to draw for the camp.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Greentree was underwhelming to say the least at the U18’s.

That tournament has a big influence on the summer camp invites for 18 year old’s.

SpitfireHabs1

Dec 3, 2021
Southern Ontario
Hope everyone summer is going good and enjoying the rest of this warm weather, hockey season is coming quick!!

Havent chimed in much this offseason. A+ Draft by our scouts and Bowler. Time will tell but i have faith this is the best draft in over 15 years since the 2007 Draft. Also good Import selection, excited with the size and playmaking potential, he will add instant offense.

Coaching decision is out there for sure but you have to hope he has learned from his mistakes and needs to change his approach. He has to know leash is short on antics, he was brought in to do a job and bring this team back to where it should be. I expect a better style of hockey that atleast myself am happy to see being brought back fo our ice, gritty and defensive, grind it out style of hockey. If you want two points against the spits this season i expect most nights it will be a battle. So im excited.

Im excited for this big, tall team on the ice too. Im expecting if my math is right there will be some trades here in the next 4-5 weeks with some forwards moving out and hopefully some experienced hard to play against Defenseman or 2 coming back our way. Goaltending will have to be clarified too. Im banking on Froggett being dealt if Costanzo stays here.

Anyways been an eventful offseason after a lackluster season which left us fans wanting more. Happy that im excited for next season. Expecting a competitive season and hopefully a middle of the pack to top team in our conference.

Go Spits Go.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Hope everyone summer is going good and enjoying the rest of this warm weather, hockey season is coming quick!!

Havent chimed in much this offseason. A+ Draft by our scouts and Bowler. Time will tell but i have faith this is the best draft in over 15 years since the 2007 Draft. Also good Import selection, excited with the size and playmaking potential, he will add instant offense.

Coaching decision is out there for sure but you have to hope he has learned from his mistakes and needs to change his approach. He has to know leash is short on antics, he was brought in to do a job and bring this team back to where it should be. I expect a better style of hockey that atleast myself am happy to see being brought back fo our ice, gritty and defensive, grind it out style of hockey. If you want two points against the spits this season i expect most nights it will be a battle. So im excited.

Im excited for this big, tall team on the ice too. Im expecting if my math is right there will be some trades here in the next 4-5 weeks with some forwards moving out and hopefully some experienced hard to play against Defenseman or 2 coming back our way. Goaltending will have to be clarified too. Im banking on Froggett being dealt if Costanzo stays here.

Anyways been an eventful offseason after a lackluster season which left us fans wanting more. Happy that im excited for next season. Expecting a competitive season and hopefully a middle of the pack to top team in our conference.

Go Spits Go.
Solid post,do think Spits will be adding at least 1D,probably an OA,and maybe 1-05 born dman.
Goaltending wise will be interesting, Spits seem to be leaning towards taller goalies,adding 2 goalies this season thru the drafts, Windbiel (16)-6'4",Newlove U18-6'4"(17) and Frogett now 18 years old 6'4", if Costanzo regains the form he showed the year before last ,Frogett could be moved out,also depends how ready Windbiel and or Newlove show,think moving forward goaltending looks promising ,not prepared to move anyone out till we see what happens.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
This is a building year. I’d take risk with Froggett and Windbiel
No, you wouldn’t. You’re not gonna throw two young goalies with almost zero OHL expierience behind a young, rebuilding team with notable strides to make in defensive structure and play. That’s a sure fire way to destroy both goalies while tanking the season and having players start to ask out. It’s a big enough risk just hoping Constanzo re-finds his form. I think there’s a good chance he will but with goaltenders you never know.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
No, you wouldn’t. You’re not gonna throw two young goalies with almost zero OHL expierience behind a young, rebuilding team with notable strides to make in defensive structure and play. That’s a sure fire way to destroy both goalies while tanking the season and having players start to ask out. It’s a big enough risk just hoping Constanzo re-finds his form. I think there’s a good chance he will but with goaltenders you never know.
If there was a time to see what Froggett could do it was last year. At least you would be going into this year with more information at your disposal. Instead it was Costanzo Michelone and Donoso. I still don't know why they took Donoso back in the deal. Obviously for OA purposes but they weren't going to do anything.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Windbiel needs to be far away from this d group. the time to figure out froggett was last year when it never mattered how they played, that was a miss. i assume they go with froggett and costanzo. they need to bring in a quality 04d and some buy low 05/06 forwards.

we cant just keep bringing back guys like martin, stewart, greenwall, Hjelholt and winegard and expect to be better. raise the floor of this team, we know what those guys are at this stage of the game.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Spits have done a poor job managing and developing goaltenders. Never was a problem with Plymouth or Flint when Stan was around… I’m hoping we turn a corner

(Yeah, sure DiPietro was an outlier. Leave it to the Canucks to mess up his development lol)

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Spits have done a poor job managing and developing goaltenders. Never was a problem with Plymouth or Flint when Stan was around… I’m hoping we turn a corner

(Yeah, sure DiPietro was an outlier. Leave it to the Canucks to mess up his development lol)
Agree 💯 with your comments. Yes, since DiPietro, the goaltending has been a real issue for "highly touted " prospects. I am thinking likely a condition to hire a respected goalie coach for Windbiel to sign.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Windbiel needs to be far away from this d group. the time to figure out froggett was last year when it never mattered how they played, that was a miss. i assume they go with froggett and costanzo. they need to bring in a quality 04d and some buy low 05/06 forwards.

we cant just keep bringing back guys like martin, stewart, greenwall, Hjelholt and winegard and expect to be better. raise the floor of this team, we know what those guys are at this stage of the game.
Agreed 100% they need floor raisers. Guys that are gone

Struthers
Zhugin
Toms
Toure

Guys that should be gone
Smith
Winegard
Greenwell
Martin

Conceivably they will need to add 5 forwards Belchetz, Protas, Lemieux(Newbury wins out), Garden, Outwater

I don't necessarily think that's the road to being better just by adding 3 16 year olds and an import. I know Bowler already said Morneau will return but I still think you can find better. He works hard sometimes but the ceiling isn't high. Bowler is extremely loyal to guys though even if they're not impactful players.

They will need to really address D. I don't think bringing in an OA, Manzo to add with Cristoforo, Woodall, Walton is the path to getting better either.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I agree Cristoforo and to some degree Woodall are not defensive minded. Manzo probably in the middle of that conversation, offensive minded but more mindful of bring a D but brings little experience. Cristoforo should be moved imo. Fresh start for him
I am not starting the whole firestorm again, but he seems unteachable or unwilling to play with any grit. That maybe his style but it is not helpful for this young team and young goalies.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I agree Cristoforo and to some degree Woodall are not defensive minded. Manzo probably in the middle of that conversation, offensive minded but more mindful of bring a D but brings little experience. Cristoforo should be moved imo. Fresh start for him
I am not starting the whole firestorm again, but he seems unteachable or unwilling to play with any grit. That maybe his style but it is not helpful for this young team and young goalies.
I understand your feeling but if they need to add 2-3 D they aren't in a position to really move one imo.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

He was only in Flint for 15/16 and 16/17 before Greg Stefan took over and those netminders were nothing special. He did have a short stint of goalies producing solid stats in Plymouth before that though. I’m not a goalie (other than street hockey and few drop-ins 😉) but I have to imagine each individual relationship between goalie and coach is completely different. I gotta believe it’s probably half teaching fundamentals and technique and half being a therapist. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad