Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Davis goes it will be 3 players. First time since 2016. Bowler has his knocks but realistically has improved the development side of this team. We thought 06's were impressive wait until this years picks hit the draft. Likely to set a draft record for the team. I think 5 in 2009 was the previous record high.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Spellacy and Greentree will be the only ones chosen. I'm surprised by Davis (and feel for the kid); I thought he showed enough to get called. Woodall, Eichler, and Cristoforo were long shots but could still see camp invites. They've all got potential at the next level, in some capacity, but now need to prove the critics wrong.

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Davis size must have been a factor with size being a priority it seems. Next year Cole. Not shocked AC wasn't drafted. Sad to start as a A rating but time to look inward and work towards next year. Maybe a change of scenery would help. Whatevers best for his development moving forward.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Spellacy and Greentree will be the only ones chosen. I'm surprised by Davis (and feel for the kid); I thought he showed enough to get called. Woodall, Eichler, and Cristoforo were long shots but could still see camp invites. They've all got potential at the next level, in some capacity, but now need to prove the critics wrong.
Yes definitely surprised by Davis but there was a number of re-entries picked this year so he may be picked next year.

Reactions: Cherrydon

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Davis size must have been a factor with size being a priority it seems. Next year Cole. Not shocked AC wasn't drafted. Sad to start as a A rating but time to look inward and work towards next year. Maybe a change of scenery would help. Whatevers best for his development moving forward.
Needs to actually play defense.
Not so timid.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Here's the link. I can't tell if she says "they" (Spitfire) or "the agency" regarding Greentree being asked if he wanted out after Smith's firing. My ears could be off -

I've heard his name pop up a few times as the likely person but nothing that said "he's been reinstated."
I would put that in the ‘what else do you expect him to say’ category

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
The number of CHL draft choices seem to be declining. I don't necessarily think it has to do with talent, but the fact that a USHL players goes to the NCAA and has 4 years to develop on the College Team's dime. Even though Cole Davis was not drafted, I am confident that he will be at a prospect camp in July and a training camp in September. The players drafted from the USHL that plan on NCAA don't have that opportunity.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The number of CHL draft choices seem to be declining. I don't necessarily think it has to do with talent, but the fact that a USHL players goes to the NCAA and has 4 years to develop on the College Team's dime. Even though Cole Davis was not drafted, I am confident that he will be at a prospect camp in July and a training camp in September. The players drafted from the USHL that plan on NCAA don't have that opportunity.
I humbly disagree 225 players drafted, 88 were Chl. OHL led all leagues with 39 players drafted. Average of almost 2 players per team. OHl 26 ladt year. Major gain.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Congrats to Greentree; he's got so much potential, both on and off the ice, and this is only the start. Now, to see who gets selected on Saturday!

Edit: I didn't see the selection on TV but I'm watching one clip right now on Twitter. Apparently, after Smith was fired, the club asked Greentree if he wanted out. "He said no, he wanted to be part of the solution. That tells you what type of kid (LA) is getting here."
None of this remotely makes any sense if you take a bigger dive. So Bowler doesn't do a credible coaching search and hires Smith. Smith does a poor job lasts 20+ games. After that Bowler asks if their best player if he wants to get traded? He is willing to go scortched earth after he made the wrong hire? He also didn't want to listen to offers for Zhugin who played half a season? Someone please make sense of this.... None of the past 2 years make any sense since January 2023 for Bowler.

Last edited:
Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
None of this remotely makes any sense if you take a bigger dive. So Bowler doesn't do a credible coaching search and hires Smith. Smith does a poor job lasts 20+ games. After that Bowler asks if their best player if he wants to get traded? He is willing to go scortched earth after he made the wrong hire? He also didn't want to listen to offers for Zhugin who played half a season? Someone please make sense of this.... None of the past 2 years make any sense since January 2023 for Bowler.

Here's the clip since I can't tell if you've seen it or not (you responded to a post before I posted it):

As I said above, I'm not sure if it was the Spitfires ("they") or "the agency" that said it as my ears could be off and I've heard both after listening to it multiple times. Regardless, SOMEONE asked him (not necessarily Bowler) and that was his response.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Here's the clip since I can't tell if you've seen it or not (you responded to a post before I posted it):

As I said above, I'm not sure if it was the Spitfires ("they") or "the agency" that said it as my ears could be off and I've heard both after listening to it multiple times. Regardless, SOMEONE asked him (not necessarily Bowler) and that was his response.

Speculations..

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Here's the link. I can't tell if she says "they" (Spitfire) or "the agency" regarding Greentree being asked if he wanted out after Smith's firing. My ears could be off -

I've heard his name pop up a few times as the likely person but nothing that said "he's been reinstated."
I was under the impression the agent asked if he wanted out.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Really what I hope comes out of this draft is it pushes Spellacy to take that next step. With his athleticism and work ethic, I could see him really improve this summer, and then even more throughout the season.

I also hope it kind of sparks those guys that didn’t get picked. I hope Woodall, Christoforo and Davis all come out with a bit of an edge and a point to prove this season.

Crazy how much changes. Looking at Parekh getting drafted for the OHL at 19 and Christoforo 22, and now looking at their resumes.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad