Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Let's see where they go from here. The previous talk was that Walters was suspended for a disagreement with staff regarding a player having a head injury. I don't recall where I read that, may have even been on here. However, having dealt with head injuries in the past, it's not something I take lightly. IF it's Walters, I'm skeptical but hoping that he's remorseful and has changed. It's very much going to be a "play it by ear" scenario for me. IF it's not Walters, then... all bets are off.
that’s the just but much worse with regards to comments and threats.

I will say this, tomorrow he will say he’s changed and looking for a fresh start, etc, but this isn’t a ‘well he said it, it must be true’ situation by far, we can’t just take what they say at face value.

confirmed my previous posts, he was hired before the suspension and they’ve moved the contract back to start now.

bowler hired him a few weeks after smith was fired and the plan was he’d be behind the bench at that point.

is what it is but let’s not say it was an extensive coaching search.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
that’s the just but much worse with regards to comments and threats.

I will say this, tomorrow he will say he’s changed and looking for a fresh start, etc, but this isn’t a ‘well he said it, it must be true’ situation by far, we can’t just take what they say at face value.

confirmed my previous posts, he was hired before the suspension and they’ve moved the contract back to start now.

bowler hired him a few weeks after smith was fired and the plan was he’d be behind the bench at that point.

is what it is but let’s not say it was an extensive coaching search.
Was no search..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

There's going to be healthy skepticism and rightfully so. Actions speak louder than words with me and you need to prove that you've changed.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I don't doubt that most posters on here are concerned about this hire, I know I am. But wondering out loud what the " average " fan will think about this hire? I don't follow Facebook but maybe someone on here can get a feel for the reaction from that group and update us? Thanks for your time if you do this.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I don't doubt that most posters on here are concerned about this hire, I know I am. But wondering out loud what the " average " fan will think about this hire? I don't follow Facebook but maybe someone on here can get a feel for the reaction from that group and update us? Thanks for your time if you do this.
I doubt most will know or care

Reactions: windsor7

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I don't like to comment on speculation of what happened with Walters and another staff member regarding a head injury. However, every scenario that I can think of would have the Head Coach wanting the player to play and that doesn't sit well.

We are dealing with high level teenage hockey players. Almost every player will say they are fine and want to play. That is the way they are wired. A cautious medical staff is required, and the Coach MUST back the medical staff.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Listen if Quenville comes here ill be doing cartwheels!!! Highly doubt it lol. He is a home town guy.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
yeah I agree 💯 percent. I've never ever been a fan of Bowler the guy couldn't even build a good Jr.B team and was a complete jerk how he treated the players when he was GM and coach with the Vipers. I think it's time The Savages sell the team to true Hockey owners that actually care about the team and fans and a true GM

There was a discussion on one board. Trying to find it again but this was one comment.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
From what I gathered it wasn't Walters arguing about a player's condition/availability it was he was physical with said employee. That's not cool. Fingers crossed if it is him as expected he has learned a valuable lesson never to be repeated. Bullying staff or a player is not acceptable in 2024 ever.
Usually in situations like this it has probably happened before. Just the first time he got caught. An old university prof told our class once if you went to see an apartment and you see a cock roach. Do you think there's only one or are there are more where they came from?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I can't see it being Quenneville. You don't go from being an NHL HC for 20 seasons to the Spitfires without some kind of stake in the team... and I haven't heard about tomorrow being anything other than HC spot.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Usually in situations like this it has probably happened before. Just the first time he got caught. An old university prof told our class once if you went to see an apartment and you see a cock roach. Do you think there's only one or are there are more where they came from?
That's my fear lol

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
From what I gathered it wasn't Walters arguing about a player's condition/availability it was he was physical with said employee. That's not cool. Fingers crossed if it is him as expected he has learned a valuable lesson never to be repeated. Bullying staff or a player is not acceptable in 2024 ever.
LOL that’s ridiculous. Guy needs to learn how to control himself.

I’m not even a spitfires fan but goddamn I hope you don’t get this guy lmao how is he getting another chance? If it was the other employee hitting Walter’s I’m sure that employee wouldn’t get that chance again.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
There is not 1 person in Grey who is upset about losing the former coach(ing) staff.
That is all.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I don't like to comment on speculation of what happened with Walters and another staff member regarding a head injury. However, every scenario that I can think of would have the Head Coach wanting the player to play and that doesn't sit well.
correct, the trainer was talking a player off the ice with a head issue and walters verbally attacked him for doing it. i think it went further then that but i have no information.

Reactions: OHLTG and rve24

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
LOL that’s ridiculous. Guy needs to learn how to control himself.

I’m not even a spitfires fan but goddamn I hope you don’t get this guy lmao how is he getting another chance? If it was the other employee hitting Walter’s I’m sure that employee wouldn’t get that chance again.
thats my question, hes not that great of a coach to put your neck on the line for.

problem was they hired him before the league stepped in (but it was known what he did), it was mid season and bowler was desperate. i think that most of the time if there is a league suspension like this, teams put an opt out clause that allow them to teminate an aggrement, but i dont know if that was the case here or if bowler would have even done it.

it seems like it was a hire out of convenience vs the best hire, but im speculating on it. if he wasnt hired in november, i dont think he would still be hired now.

• Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Has anyone seen a post from the Spitfires regarding the press conference today? Other than Manny Paivas tweet 3 days ago or so? Normally you see a join us live on Facebook or something.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
OHL4life is right, trainer didn't want a player to go on the ice because of a cut lip. Minor in the scheme of things. Player wanted to go on, Walters definitely wanted him to go on. This was the tipping point, and let to the firing. There is so much more,
Windsor, get ready for alot of yelling on the bench, although he will be on his best behavior for a while, but a leopard can't change his spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad