Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor's extra picks (up to round six):

2025 - two 2nds
2026 - two 3rds, two 4ths
2027 - two 2nds, two 4ths

If you deal a second and a third, plus someone younger, it's not impossible to get him.

Let's say they don't get Konnor and they wind up having to trade multiple picks for a lesser talent because they've put themselves in a hole. Then what happens? "Why didn't Bowler trade for him while he had the chance?!" Unless the asking price is sky-high, you pull the trigger - giant local defenceman who's exactly what you need this season, even if it's only for this season.
Can he think outside the box...

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Konnor goes for more than a 2nd and 4th. Mancini went for a 2nd and 3rd. Maillet went for a 2nd 2 3rds and a 5th. Kressler with a 3rd rounder added fetched 3 3rds 1 2nd and a 9th. Dubois went for a 2nd 3rd and 5th.

All those players were OAs traded at the deadline for half a season. Konnor won't go for as much as last year but he won't be going for a 2nd and 4th either. I do agree he might be in the AHL but he doesn't have to sign this year either. The Ducks promoted Minkutov, LaCombe. Zellwegger and Luneau got time last year but one of them might be back in the AHL. They signed Dionicio. A full year of Smith costs 2 2nd's and a 3rd or a 2nd 2 3rds minimum.
At the start of the season, teams trade OAs to get down to ultimately 3 OAs. If a team has 5 or 6 quality OAs, they are often forced to trade for less to avoid getting nothing. When an OA is traded at the deadline, teams often pay more because they are trying to improve for a playoff run. Right now, the Spits have Abraham, Morneau and Smith. Without looking, I am sure that several teams have a 5th or 6th OA that would be an improvement for the Spits.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Windsor's extra picks (up to round six):

2025 - two 2nds
2026 - two 3rds, two 4ths
2027 - two 2nds, two 4ths

If you deal a second and a third, plus someone younger, it's not impossible to get him.

Let's say they don't get Konnor and they wind up having to trade multiple picks for a lesser talent because they've put themselves in a hole. Then what happens? "Why didn't Bowler trade for him while he had the chance?!" Unless the asking price is sky-high, you pull the trigger - giant local defenceman who's exactly what you need this season, even if it's only for this season.
What are you trying to say?? Why would they not get Konnor and trade multiple picks for lesser talent??

You can find other quality OAs look at Punnett at the deadline the Generals moved a 3rd and 6th and flipped another 03. Punnett was very good for Oshawa in the playoffs until he got hurt.

The idea of acquiring an 04 D has merit if you can add another D in the import draft. The first moves are cutting the fat with a D group that had Winegard/Eichler/Walton/Toms/Hjelholt. All of them still have eligibility and they probably have to move on from at least 3 of them. I would be very careful about playing Lavigne and Manzo for a full season. If you have the assets go look for a 05 or 06 D to go along with a very good import. Bowler hasn't been shy about doing that he spent assets last year on 05 Outwater.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What are you trying to say?? Why would they not get Konnor and trade multiple picks for lesser talent??

Windsor has extra picks over the next four drafts. Trade a couple of those extra picks, plus one of our 06s or 07s, and see what can be done to get Konnor. Maybe it's enough. Maybe it's not. But you have to inquire, at least.

I'm not worried about a specific positional target in the Import Draft. As I've said before, if they make a deal with a D, great. If they make a deal with a F, that's fine, too.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor has extra picks over the next four drafts. Trade a couple of those extra picks, plus one of our 06s or 07s, and see what can be done to get Konnor. Maybe it's enough. Maybe it's not. But you have to inquire, at least.

I'm not worried about a specific positional target in the Import Draft. As I've said before, if they make a deal with a D, great. If they make a deal with a F, that's fine, too.
:dunno:

• Haha
Reactions: RayzorIsDull

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'd wait for him to say I want to finish my career in Windsor and get him on the cheap. The price nowadays for a quality player is enormous and I'd rather save those picks to make a run in 25'26 and likely 26-27 based on this haul in the draft.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I'd wait for him to say I want to finish my career in Windsor and get him on the cheap. The price nowadays for a quality player is enormous and I'd rather save those picks to make a run in 25'26 and likely 26-27 based on this haul in the draft.
Agree with most of you have written especially mentioning 25/26, and possibly 26/27 especially if Belchetz plays a 3rd year here at age 18,our luck he wont,and if he did probably gone at 19 regardless lol,do think next 2 seasons will be interesting especially 25/26 season,and if we are lucky 26-27 season.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Agree with most of you have written especially mentioning 25/26, and possibly 26/27 especially if Belchetz plays a 3rd year here at age 18,our luck he wont,and if he did probably gone at 19 regardless lol,do think next 2 seasons will be interesting especially 25/26 season,and if we are lucky 26-27 season.
Yes. Hard to predict Belchetz development for the NHL. Depends largely on who drafts him and where. Top 1-5 picks in the NHL draft have fan pressure for something now. The salary cap pressures help keep kids a year or two longer so they can burn 3 years of entry contract with a ready player. US college helps as well with so many going NCAA , teams are used to waiting longer now.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While I'd like Konnor, I don't mind if it's someone else like Van Vliet or Blake Smith; someone with size, experience, and jam. What about Smyth out of Ottawa? I know he's big and has some jam but is he worth an OA spot?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
We've got a small D core and alot of youth coming in. Team really needs a couple of tough/rough watchdogs from letting all this talent from being bullied. Yes it is old school but it is a fact.
Actual coaching staff knows what they r doing would help too..

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Bowler hasn't been shy about doing that he spent assets last year on 05 Outwater.
Right away with you guys acquiring him I was thinking he won’t do much now but for 2024/2025 and 2025/2026 he should be a good part of the top 6

2025/2026 is your run year I assume with greentree (if not in nhl by then) christoforo, spellacy, costanzo OA, Outwater OA, Woodall, Davis, Nesbit, Walton, belchetz, Lemieux, hicks, brocklehurst, garden, windbiel- you guys are going to have a HELL of a team

Got your top 9 forwards there already, your top 4 defence, your starting goalie and a backup

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
2025/2026 is your run year I assume with greentree (if not in nhl by then) christoforo, spellacy, costanzo OA, Outwater OA, Woodall, Davis, Nesbit, Walton, belchetz, Lemieux, hicks, brocklehurst, garden, windbiel- you guys are going to have a HELL of a team

There are still a lot of questions including... can Costanzo return to the form that he showed in 2022-23? Can Outwater finally find his game? Can Cristoforo improve his D enough to stick around? While the potential is there for them to become good, it's still "potential." I'm eager to see what 2024-25 brings, let alone 2025-26.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
There are still a lot of questions including... can Costanzo return to the form that he showed in 2022-23? Can Outwater finally find his game? Can Cristoforo improve his D enough to stick around? While the potential is there for them to become good, it's still "potential." I'm eager to see what 2024-25 brings, let alone 2025-26.
A few more questions than that pending..

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
2 4ths, for that ilk, sign me up.
It’s very possible that is the return for VanVliet as there should be a surplus of OA LD; and LW and goalies.
Thinking Edward and Mathurin return for OA seasons, I have been hopeful of 3, 4 picks for VanVliet. I don’t think K.Smith is worth much more, Mayich and B.Smith less, Smyth and McDowell essentially free.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
One NHL western conference executive is a big fan of Greentree but isn't a fan of Bill Bowler.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240619_090445_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_090445_Instagram.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: windsor7

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
One NHL western conference executive is a big fan of Greentree but isn't a fan of Bill Bowler.
If he's there at 23, I'd love the Leafs to add him to their young forward prospects, if a comparable defender isn't there. Would look great developed on a line with Knies

Reactions: punch1943

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ive been preaching this for some time! BB is simply not a likeable guy, his actions often strengthen that feeling. He will hurt this team more than help. Kids play here in spite of him. I’ve personally sat with numerous players,parents…. The opinion is not good but Windsor is a place players like to play so they come.

Reactions: rve24

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You're always going to have people like you, hate you, or somewhere in between. I'm not fully sold on Bowler; always got a different vibe from him. However, if the players are saying he's a reason why they're showing up, he's doing something right. Like anything else, there's pros, cons, and plenty in between.

I'd love to see Greentree drafted by the Leafs but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You're always going to have people like you, hate you, or somewhere in between. I'm not fully sold on Bowler; always got a different vibe from him. However, if the players are saying he's a reason why they're showing up, he's doing something right. Like anything else, there's pros, cons, and plenty in between.

I'd love to see Greentree drafted by the Leafs but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Id rather him actually playing..

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

no player will say a negative thing about anyone public, let’s be honest.

I’m not saying anything pro or negative about bowler, but public statement see rarely the truth. just a cliche request answer…give 100 percent, gotta work hard and give our all. I love playing here and being with all my teammates…etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad